• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Stuck in Boot Loop

EllaSense

Lurker
Jan 22, 2012
Hi,

I've rooted and have clockwork installed.

When I turn on, I get stuck in bootloop. Just the green HTC load screen, then reboot. I have to pull battery to make it stop.

I can get to Recovery (ClockworkMod Recovery) but I haven't made a backup yet, so there's nothing to restore. :eek:

I tried a factory wipe. Didn't fix.

Anything else I can do?

Hi,

I've rooted and have clockwork installed.

When I turn on, I get stuck in bootloop. Just the green HTC load screen, then reboot. I have to pull battery to make it stop.

I can get to Recovery (ClockworkMod Recovery) but I haven't made a backup yet, so there's nothing to restore. :eek:

I tried a factory wipe. Didn't fix.

Anything else I can do?
can you explain how you rooted

this should be in the root section.
did you use our guides?

Reactions: EllaSense
Upvote 0
Hi Rasta,

Yes, I found this root guide: http://androidforums.com/desire-all...ked-windows-updated-11th-november-2011-a.html

There were no problems with the hboot driver and with revoked. Everything went swimmingly.

I started in removing apps with the command prompt that I couldn't before using another guide from this forum (which I can't find now). After rebooting, I got stuck in the boot loop.

UPDATE: Now when it starts it goes into the Hboot. I can go either into Hboot or recovery, but can't start the phone.

Edit: to clarify, it starts up in the Hboot whether I hold volume-down or not. From there, I can get to Clockwork recovery.

Edit2: I can't seem to get into my SDCard from my PC either. It seems to be in charge-only mode. Of course.

Upvote 0
Which apps did you remove? From your description it sounds like this is where the ROM was broken.

You've done a factory reset already, so I guess we don't have to worry about how to recovery your data. Hence the easiest way to get the phone going again would be to flash a new ROM. You can find a list in the Desire Index thread at XDA. A rooted stock ROM would be very similar to what you already had, if you just want to get "back to normal" - I generally recommend one of Teppic74's ROMs in this category. Otherwise take your pick, but always read the first couple of posts of the ROM's thread to see what is required before flashing it. And certainly read the rooting FAQ in this forum before doing any of this.

And once you have the phone working, always take a nandroid before fiddling with the ROM again ;)

Edit: to get to the SD card, boot into recovery, connect the phone to the computer, and use the "mounts and storage" menu to mount the card over usb.

Reactions: EllaSense
Upvote 0
Hadron, thank you! I'm all better.

I physically popped my SD card out and used a USB reader to move the .zip file for the ROM to the card, then put it back in the phone. From there it was easy to use Clockwork to flash the new ROM. Everything is working great now!

always take a nandroid before fiddling with the ROM again
Lesson learned. :cool: Thanks again!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones