• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Student survey about how people check permissions before installing applications (takes 3 minutes!)

GeorgiaT

Lurker
Apr 12, 2011
Hello everyone,

We are students from the Georgia Institute of Technology, and doing a research about the way people care about the permissions asked for while installing applications on Android.

The survey is for a course, and for a totally non-lucrative purpose :) It will take you less than 3 minutes to fill it.

You can find it here : https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dHdRc0xpTTZxWHVIS05mYnVIVVpOT0E6MQ#gid=0

Thanks a lot to anyone who wants to help us by answering ! :D

Did the survey

1)Read comments
2)Read permissions
3)If permissions VERY questionable then I'll check the website. If there's no answer on the website, then I'll email the Dev. I won't install until I hear back from the dev.

For the second part, you should include a comment section as to why people believe those permissions are needed for the app ;) Like internet and GPS, for people that don't really know how developers earn money on free apps, they don't realize that the calculator app that ask for internet and GPS is for the ADs.

Anyways, the survey will be biased/skewed if you're only asking people on Android Forums like this one. People here are more savey and go the extra mile so that they download the optimal app for their phones. Like myself, I have gone through every single description of the manifest.permissions in the android.developer.com site to get a clear understanding of how the permissions work and what it does to my phone. I am pretty certain the 'average' Android users don't even know that.

Because this is an Android community with members using and recommending apps, I go here for ideas and feedbacks.

-Roze-

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones