• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Summary of problems for Triumph

I hate to comment twice in a role but i just tried the camcorder on this thing and it recorded and played back with some bluish looking crap at the top of the screen and major pixelation. I am really starting to think i should go back to my trusty optimus v. For three hundred bucks, this thing should not be performing like this.

Seems like your phone has been left in the heat perhaps a car

Upvote 0
MT # 4 STB this evening (wouldn't power up after charging) so I went to BB and picked up another so I'd at least have a phone. VM is sending a replacement but since they are out of stock there's no guarantee it'll get to me in 3–5 days. I'll be retuning this one when the replacement arrives and is proven to work. Oh, and if you have to get a VM CSR to activate a new/replacement MT, tell them to stick the $10 fee where the sun don't shine. ;-)

Upvote 0
Folks, for anyone reading this forum that has problems with their Triumph, I'd like to encourage you to post your problem over at Motorola Owner's Forum where the Motorola engineering community is known to visit...

May I suggest you read the discussion thread associated with "Common Issues":
https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/57799?start=0&tstart=0

Attempt to avoid postings about problems already reported, and be as specific and detailed as you can be, including reproducing the issue and your efforts to either solve or work-around the issue.

Upvote 0
:D

On VMUSA, Samsung Intercept and LG Optimus V have better CDMA Radios and GPS Hardware/Software.

In the future, why not use either Samsung Intercept or LG Optimus V as Wifi hotspot with the help of rooting and Wifi Tethering/Hotspot app. Why not buy Android tablets (with Ice Cream Sandwich and 10.1" screen) and connect to internet using Wifi hotspot from the Android phones. Phone screens are too small (even 4" and above) for any serious games/videos/data intensive apps. Tablet hardware is usually better than the high end Phones while they cost almost same.

This Motorola Triumph costs same as a tablet and has lot of issues/bugs/defects. Why not get an Ice Cream Sandwich Tablet this Nov/Dec instead.

:D

Upvote 0
My first one was crap. It has a major light leak in bottom left corner, black and white flickering, unresponsive back button and screen, gps and bluetooth would not lock, sudden reboots for no reason, washed out screen colors, it would freeze and you would have to take the battery out. The replacement I recieved has had none of these issues. It does have a blue tint to the screen when the brightness is turned all the way down but this seems to be the norm for the newer model phones that are not defective.

Upvote 0
Oh geez. I can't get any GPS signal at all. I tried the GPS fix app...I ran it for 15 minutes twice and it didn't do anything so I'm assuming it doesn't work?? Is there a GPS for non rooted phones? If not I'm going to try another one tomorrow.

Try taking your battery out and putting it back in. Twice my gps seemed like it would lock up and not get a connecton. I finally pulled the battery and put it back in and almost instant satellite lock both times.

Upvote 0
I never had any luck with GPS fix. What would help sometimes was running A-GPS Injector before selecting GPS Status. Sometimes "hot" fixes were almost instantaneous and I could even establish a lock inside my house, but sometimes, the lock would take 4-6 minutes.

My recommendation would be to return it for a replacement phone. I eventually did this, and my random reboots are gone and GPS fix times have greatly improved. I am sure that with a SW update, the GPS fix time would be excellent. My battery run-time, and my 3G reception seem to be better as well.

Upvote 0
I've had issues with the battery not charging fully (blinking red light, need to unplug it to continue charge), unable to locate and/or connect to wifi (have to re-boot phone for it to finally find/connect to wifi), phone randomly shutting off while not in use, unresponsive buttons (had had issue with it not turning on, have to press the button 5 times before it does), light leak in button left corner.

I am pleased with VM customer service though. They overnighted me 2 new batteries to test (still having battery related issues). Now, they're going to send a new phone.

If this phone isn't any better, I will probably hop on a LG Optimus V black Friday deal and sell this POS. That, or I may go with Republic Wireless - Optimus V w/2.3 and $6 savings/month.

Upvote 0
"My personal issue is "cell standby" and "phone signal" are sucking up a lot of battery, could be weak antenna inside phone from what Im gathering."

I am having some major issues with this myself. I'm getting 70% battery use with "cell standby" and I'm getting five hour battery life. Should I be taking this back and getting a new phone? Or am I missing something? I've turned off everything, and I mean everything, and I'm still getting a max of six hours, at best.

Anybody else see this issue arise?

Upvote 0
"My personal issue is "cell standby" and "phone signal" are sucking up a lot of battery, could be weak antenna inside phone from what Im gathering."

I am having some major issues with this myself. I'm getting 70% battery use with "cell standby" and I'm getting five hour battery life. Should I be taking this back and getting a new phone? Or am I missing something? I've turned off everything, and I mean everything, and I'm still getting a max of six hours, at best.

Anybody else see this issue arise?

If you are not getting a signal your phone will keep searching for one, eating up your battery the whole time. When you are looking at the cell standby stats, what does it say your "time without signal" is? You could be in an area with horrible coverage, or in a building that blocks the signal alot?

Upvote 0
I have a major problem with my Motorola Triumph. I have only had it 2 months and when I turned it on this morning it would not work. There was an icon that looked like a grey battery with a red lighting bolt through it. What is bad I checked every store where I live and no body has a battery for it. I am not sure it is the battery but until I know better I am going with that. Going to be a long 4 days.

Upvote 0
I got a brand new Triumph yesterday (v39 software) and unfortunately it looks like I will need to return it.

The front-facing camera simply does not work.

The rear camera works perfectly, but when switching to the front camera (from within the stock Camera app) I either get a) a black screen, followed by the app crashing, b) the screen flashing blue and then the phone rebooting, or c) maybe a second or so of the front camera working, followed by it freezing and the app crashing again (I've only seen this twice).

I've tried clearing the camera cache and data but no dice, the front camera simply refuses to work.

I've emailed vmusocialcare@sprint.com and asked for a replacement.

I googled around and found a few other people who had the same problem with the front camera, although it seems that it is not a common issue.

Upvote 0
I received my replacement Triumph from Virgin today (new retail box).

The front camera works fine and there are no problems with this one that I can see.

Virgin sent along a prepaid USPS Priority Mail envelope to return the defective Triumph in, and told me that both phones would be deactivated if they didn't receive the bad handset within 45 days.

They told me to return the phone, battery and battery cover and to keep everything else.

Upvote 0
I received my replacement Triumph from Virgin today (new retail box).

The front camera works fine and there are no problems with this one that I can see.

Virgin sent along a prepaid USPS Priority Mail envelope to return the defective Triumph in, and told me that both phones would be deactivated if they didn't receive the bad handset within 45 days.

They told me to return the phone, battery and battery cover and to keep everything else.

That was fast, I may need to go this route if I notice anything wrong with mine. Maybe VM streamlined the whole replacement process, knowing a high percentage of them will be returned. Hopefully Motorola takes a financial hit and learns their lesson.

Reactions: iSnow
Upvote 0
I've had my MT when it came out in July at Best Buy and have had the same one since. I decided to also get the warranty from BB. Since August I noticed that any sort of voice recording function would sporadically stop working unless I reboot. So I can't use voice search and any videos I record will come out soundless. Along with this, the bottom buttons will occasionally stop working. It mostly happens with the back and home buttons since those are the ones I use most but it's happened a few times with the menu and search buttons too. I either have to wait a few seconds or put my phone in landscape/portrait mode for them to work again. Most recently (about a couple of weeks) I haven't been receiving texts until hours after they've been sent and am currently unable to receive mms. I don't know if this is a Virgin Mobile problem or if it's just my phone. So far these are the only problems I've had with my Triumph since buying it 5 months ago. The only thing that has really been bothering me is the missed messages and if it gets any worse I will probably bring it in for a new one.

Upvote 0
Have had my Motorola triumph for 3 weeks now. It is a great phone with one exception. It randomly will not turn back on when I hit the on/off after it has powered down. I have to pull the battery and then it works fine.

I did some searches and can't find anybody having this issue. Is it a known issue and is there a fix for it. I want to root the phone and go to cm7 but I want to make sure this issue is taken care of or at least adentified as software and not the phone.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Have had my Motorola triumph for 3 weeks now. It is a great phone with one exception. It randomly will not turn back on when I hit the on/off after it has powered down. I have to pull the battery and then it works fine.

I did some searches and can't find anybody having this issue. Is it a known issue and is there a fix for it. I want to root the phone and go to cm7 but I want to make sure this issue is taken care of or at least adentified as software and not the phone.

Thanks.

I've been having the same issue with my Triumph, and if it is bothering you, call VM and they'll send you a replacement. I am running CM7 and the issue still persists

Upvote 0
The buttons will not light up on my MT. It also has piss poor battery life and radio reception compared to the OV it is replacing.

Should I have it exchanged? Are the button lights really beneficial?

Also, the activate notification keeps popping up. Any way to get rid of it for good?

I'm interested in just turning those lights off, since by default they're too bright and make light leaks more noticeable on the display. Installing CM7 will make it a lot better phone & get rid of little problems here & there in the stock ROM.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones