• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Super AMOLED (again) with PenTile subpixel matrix?

I have both the Nexus One and the Galaxy S, so i'm gonna chime in here..

I don't have a microscope to verify if the Galaxy S uses the Pentile matrix, but i can tell you that when displaying Black text on a white background, it does not have the same problem that the nexus one has of showing wierd shades..
So i assume it is not a pentile matrix OR it is a better implementation if the Pentile Matrix possibly because of the Super Amoled..

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I have both the Nexus One and the Galaxy S, so i'm gonna chime in here..

I don't have a microscope to verify if the Galaxy S uses the Pentile matrix, but i can tell you that when displaying Black text on a white background, it does not have the same problem that the nexus one has of showing wierd shades..
So i assume it is not a pentile matrix OR it is a better implementation if the Pentile Matrix possibly because of the Super Amoled..

Cheers for that can i ask what you think of the build quality of the Galaxy? i know its plastic but does it still feel solid?.

Upvote 0
Cheers for that can i ask what you think of the build quality of the Galaxy? i know its plastic but does it still feel solid?.

Compared to the Nexus One, it is lighter and more plasticky, so it does not feel as solid (as others have mentioned). If i squeeze the Galaxy S, there is slight creaking, but i wouldn't go so far as to say the build quality is bad... just well.. plasticky... HTC did do very well with the material on the Nexus One IMHO..

Upvote 0
I'm glad that I found some people here who are able to distinguish the quality between the screen technologies. When I tried to show a few people the difference they just had a surprise look on their face cos everything looked the same to them. I really don't understand how so many people don't notice the difference because for me it's very evident. When I got my s8000 last year I was very disappointed when I saw the mesh like overlay on the screen(I didn't know what pentile was back then). For being 800x480 res the screen looked a lot less sharp. I was much happier when I got my i8910. That model uses RGB AMOLED, and even when compared to N1 looks a lot better(even being lower res). The screen is sharper....colors are more vivid.....and it doesn't have that fine mesh like overlay. It will also be a deal breaker for me if Galaxy S in fact uses pentile amoled.

Reactions: Bluebrain
Upvote 0
Loriolus, you are really speaking right out of my soul !

I had a Motorola Milestone (Droid) before and ordered the Desire (=Incredible).
When I got it, I couldn't believe my eyes.

THIS should be THE greatest mobile display ever, others were walking about??? :eek:

I did some research and came across the PenTile issue and started a thread on a German Android Board which ended up in 1000 Posts.

Some users shared my opinion, but a lot were still talking about "the best they have ever seen", that "there is absolutely no noticeable disadvantage", ...a.s.o...

The problem:
It was showing, that most users compared the 480*800 PenTile screen with the 5 year old, 320*480 iPhone or an other old or low-resolution display.

If you never had a look at the Milestone/Droid screen, you simply cannot know, how a 480*8xx CAN look like!

I REALLY hope, that the Galaxy-S screen will not have a PenTile matrix!

Upvote 0
By the way...I've read somewhere that s8500 uses pentile amoled....it doesn't mean that's the same case with galaxy s but who knows....will find out soon.

The screen of the s8500 Wave is 3.3" the Galaxy-S' is 4".
The PenTile matrix saves space, so I presume they did use it.

A 4" screen would give enough space for a common RGB subpixel layout.
Let's hope, Samsung used the space!

Technically it's more difficult to build high-res (AM)OLED screen than LCD/TFT.

Upvote 0

Attachments

• i9000.jpg
    i9000.jpg
    338.2 KB · Views: 138
Upvote 0
It has been confirmed Galaxy S does use PenTile AMOLED. A little disappointed....

Picture borrowed from:

Samsung i9000????? - Mobile01 ????

Too bad. Now i9000 has more shortcomings than I'm willing to deal with. The upcoming iphone I believe is gonna have the best screen amongst current and future cell phones(for the rest of the year at least) with its IPS 960x640 res screen. As much as I don't want to but I might go with the iphone 4g/HD for now.

Upvote 0
Too bad. Now i9000 has more shortcomings than I'm willing to deal with. The upcoming iphone I believe is gonna have the best screen amongst current and future cell phones(for the rest of the year at least) with its IPS 960x640 res screen. As much as I don't want to but I might go with the iphone 4g/HD for now.

Its not such a deal breaker for me since it still looks better than any other displays out there ATM, but if the lower res screen is such a bother to you then by all means get the 960x640 IPS iPhone and we wish you all the luck on the world with the iPhone.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't consider this a 'dealbreaker' either....I mean the camera flash is more of an issue than this, as I know it definitely won't be as blurry as those pics shown above.

Maybe superboey or anyone else who has the phone now can take close-up pics of a webpage showing no zoom and full zoom on the Galaxy S?

I'm still getting this phone, no way in hell would I consider an iPhone especially after all the BS AT&T is putting their customers through!

Upvote 0
Personally I'm not the least bit worried about reading text on the Galaxy S. I had the opportunity to try out the Samsung Wave a couple of days ago and I found the text quality to be very good. I could zoom out a lot and still read it without any discomforts at all, despite trying to be fairly critical in my estimation. I did not have the time to read for an extended period though.

After I saw that Super AMOLED in action there's no way I'll opt for a phone that does not carry that kind of display right now. That's of course my personal opinon and thus not a guarantee that everyone will feel the same.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones