• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Super AMOLED (again) with PenTile subpixel matrix?

Ok, so here you go:
YouTube - iPhone 4 Retina Display vs Samsung Captivate Super AMOLED

there is no much real life difference between samoled and retina. this guy is an iphone owner, but his videos have always been unbiased, and at 720P, both screens look to be pretty much equally usable.
That was a good comparison that certainly lacked the bias we're seeing in these threads (i.e. no shouting about that one flaw is bigger than the other).

Both displays certainly are very good and as the reviewer said, it's good to have choices. The only thing that was very visible in the test but he didn't mention was the aspect ratio, since the iPhone 4 cut off the sides on the video shown. It's a bit strange that he didn't mention that video wasn't shown as it's supposed to as he did bring up that difference when it came to web pages.

All in all it's not harder than that you make up your own mind about what suits you the best and try not to be insecure enough so you have to try to push that view on others.

Upvote 0
As for games on the iPhone it wouldn't surprise me if 3GS could run better than the iPhone 4 since they didn't improve the GPU much and now they have 4 times as many pixels to draw.
LMAO! i've been mucking about with my new iphone 4 most the day and the graphics on "iphone 4" games are stunning, a HUGE difference, even I didn't expect such a jump so no the 3GS isn't better lmao.

And yeah, the iphone 4 really does put the samsung galaxy s to shame specially the screen! never seen a screen like this before on any device, would have been nice a bit bigger but apart from that it is fantastic.

P.S, the iphone 4 cpu is running at 1ghz, check mcrumors.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
LMAO! i've been mucking about with my new iphone 4 most the day and the graphics on "iphone 4" games are stunning, a HUGE difference, even I didn't expect such a jump so no the 3GS isn't better lmao.

And yeah, the iphone 4 really does put the samsung galaxy s to shame specially the screen! never seen a screen like this before on any device, would have been nice a bit bigger but apart from that it is fantastic.

P.S, the iphone 4 cpu is running at 1ghz, check mcrumors.
Judging from your response you didn't understand what I said. I didn't say they would look better, I said that it's possible that the 3GS could run games faster due to that the GPU difference isn't as big as the difference in resolution is. It's a phenomenon we've seen before although it will of course not be noticable until the game is sufficiently demanding.

It's good that you're happy with it, although it's too bad you're insecure enough about it that you need to linger on Android Forums. I've seen both side to side in real life as well and the iPhone 4 is not for me, neither in hardware nor software.

Upvote 0
Ahhh here I go again....lol

Even with that last comparison clip, look at the hand when doing the unboxing. It looks too white on the Amoled. U cant make out individual knuckles. U can on the iPhone 4. Oversatuation, over exposed, I dont know. Both phones set to 50% brightness..

I seen some videos recently where the Super Amoled shows deep blacks, "vibrant" colors, which looked good. But for seeing details, LCD is the way to go.

There is no perfect screen, phone, UI, etc. Everything has its pros and cons.

Upvote 0
Is there any reason you are getting epic 4g vs other sgs phones?
Is it mainly because you are on Spring?
I am asking because I wanted to see how many people who have used 3.5+ inch screen with multitouch screen keyboard would ever consider buying a phone with a hardware keyboard also with 3.5+inch screen.

Its a combination of all those things you mentioned. Check out this thread I started back in March right before the Galaxy S was first revealed:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-moment/54927-samsung-moment-2-wishlist.html?highlight=wishlist

So as you can see from the above link, the Epic 4G almost perfectly fit my wishlist from way back. (I know I was hoping the Moment 2 would be like this but I could careless as long as a phone of my wishlist is made).

Here is the actual list I made:

Here is what I'd hope for:

- A top notch processor (which ever is the best out)
-4G capable
- Bigger AMOLED screen (at least 3.7 in.)
- Multi touch enabled (Not sure if we wll get it with 2.1 update)
- Stronger Battery
- Adobe Flash compatible
- Same qwerty slide-out key board as I have now. (Or a better one)
- Up to date Android OS (wheather its android 2.1 or higher)
- More RAM and Rom space (Not sure what amount is a good amount)
- TV and computer output availibility
- High quality camera with flash
- Dedicated camera button
- On screen red end call button like my sister has on her hero

As you can see, you can place a check mark next to every one of my wishes. I thought it would be a long shot at the time I made this but like I said, a man can hope lol.

After some time after the rumors of the Galaxy S Pro died off, I started losing hope but still wanted the phone from my wishlist so I made this thread a couple months back, (just for fun).

http://androidforums.com/android-lo...-2nd-4g-phone-will-have-phyisical-qwerty.html

Again, my desires came true, the worlds 2nd 4G phone indeed is a slider just like I hoped it would be :D

Upvote 0
Ahhh here I go again....lol

Even with that last comparison clip, look at the hand when doing the unboxing. It looks too white on the Amoled. U cant make out individual knuckles. U can on the iPhone 4. Oversatuation, over exposed, I dont know. Both phones set to 50% brightness..

You don't think that has anything to do with the fact that we are viewing these screens on a video on our LCD, and a video made with not really great camera at that?
I mean, i don't know, but that has been tossed around a lot.. Every reviewer says that the screen needs to be seen in person to really appreciate it.

Upvote 0
You don't think that has anything to do with the fact that we are viewing these screens on a video on our LCD, and a video made with not really great camera at that?
I mean, i don't know, but that has been tossed around a lot.. Every reviewer says that the screen needs to be seen in person to really appreciate it.
Yes, it must definitely be a fault with the camera that isn't able to handle the brightness of the white on the SGS since it certainly doesn't behave like that at all in real life. That's probably one reason he didn't review the screens at full brightness, although full brightness lowers the quality of black on the iPhone 4 so it's not really a disadvantage as some comments are saying.

Another flaw with the camera is that it shows the iPhone 4 white level to not even be white, and it's not like that in reality either. So you are definitely correct in that those issues are due to the camera, and to an extent also the screens we are viewing on. The reviewer's comments is also a very clear indicator of that since he says things about the screens that doesn't quite match what we see in the video.

We also saw jroc say that he had seen videos showing the black levels and colors on the Super AMOLED but there's no way he can have watched those videos on a screen capable of showing how good those are, regardless of whether the cameras used in those particular videos could capture it.

Upvote 0
Sorry, but this video-review is just a big crap!

1st) 50% Brightness? What does this mean? 50% of what? 50% means the brightness, the manufacturer meant it to be.
It's no kind of standard. No screens brightness starts with full black and the brightness slider does not react linear to the screen's brightness.

2nd) The guy said several times that there is absolutely no difference in text view.
This was the moment, I stopped watching.

If the PenTile issues bother you or not, if you don't mind or hate or love it.
Anyone my have it's own opinion and preferences.

BUT, if you say, that you can't see any difference in text-view between the SGS' PenTile display and an even higher resolution iPhone Retina Display, you are either blind or an idiot!!!
Bullshit!

Upvote 0
The review is still comes across as less biased and is more relevant than posts that use bold letters and multiple exclamation points to shout personal opinions as facts. ;)

He clearly explained that he doesn't use max brightness in the actual review because the camera can't capture it. You already see the camera really struggling with the level of brightness the Captivate has in that video. And turning up the brightness on the iPhone 4 would make it closer in that regard but the black levels would get worse as it's backlit.

As for text there aren't any big differences between it at the sizes he compared at. He didn't mention how it is on really small text but on the other hand he didn't really go into things like black levels or contrast, which of course is one of the strongest points of the Captivate so it goes both ways.

Upvote 0
I have an iPhone 4 and a Droid. The Droid wowed me with it's pixel clarity when I first saw it, but the iPhone 4 is even better. I've seen the Galaxy S in the store as well very vivid screen but text is definitely nowhere near as sharp as the iPhone 4 and is less sharp than the Droid as well. Really the ultimate display would have the Galaxy S contrast and iPhone 4 sharpness.

Upvote 0
Samsung's insistence on using the PenTile matrix is really annoying. It looks terrible for text compared to any of the other comparable resolution displays. Images fair a bit better, but the obsession with oversaturation is also quite irritating and the net result is it look "impressive" rather than "accurate" (this part could, at least, be compensated for in software).

Unfortunately the PenTile configuration gives better yields (1/3 the number of OLEDs to fabricate) and is the only way AMOLED can even approach the much-vaunted power-savings of OLED technologies on mostly-white displays, so it's probably here to stay until the fabrication technology improves dramatically.

It is fair to say, at this point, I won't even bother looking at any more devices with any display using the PenTile matrix. Doesn't matter how cool the rest of the device is, if text is going to be fuzzy then I'm out.

Upvote 0
Add me to the list of users interested in the Galaxy S.

Pentile is developed by Nouvoyance, a company owned by Samsung. You can read about Pentile here.

I think it really depends what is most important to the end user. If reading text is ultimately very important, this technology might not be right for you. If multimedia graphics is more important, the technology might be right.

Any decision on a phone should consider a variety of factors which are different for each user. For me, text readability is more important than graphics or colour accuracy (my 15.4" notebook has 1680x1050 resolution-very sharp). Since I have vision issues readability is even more important and contrast really helps.

I like the contrast of the Galaxy S and my initial impression was very good. But after reading this excellent thread and looking at the comparisons, I will have to see the Galaxy again in person while reading the web. For me, composing a message (using Swype) was easier on the Galaxy than on the Samsung Wave which also uses S-AMOLED, simply because the Galaxy's 4" screen was larger and text was bigger than on the Wave's 3.3" screen.

I have also learned that HTC can't get enough AMOLED displays (from Samsung) for the Desire and is switching to the Sony S-LED. However, I don't know how to tell which one is in a particular unit. There is a comparison here.

Because I am a former mainframe software engineer and still a bit geeky, I prefer the customization options of Android versus Apple's "we decide whats best for you" position. Also, I find the text size of many of the default screens on the iPhone simply too small for me. Android text is bigger.

In summary, I will have to see a functional Desire or comparable HTC device in person before I make my final decision.

Upvote 0
Someone was listening to my prays! :D

HTC Ace (also known as "Desire HD" even if it's more than just a redesign of the Desire) is coming to Europe! (rumors say in October)

features 4,3" (S?)LCD, 4GB internal memory, etc...

Readability is coming back to my cellphone! :D

That's good news, but the larger screen may impact battery life. I recently looked at an HTC Desire (in Canada). I think it had the Sony SLCD, which is brighter than the the Samsung AMOLED and the Galaxy's S-AMOLED.

Upvote 0
I never noticed the pixel problem when I was looking at it in stores--and I went to many stores. However, when I got home, I noticed I had eye strain. For me, it turned out to be the lighting. My home is not as brightly lit as the stores. The screen was so bright, and my home was too dark. To solve that, I just open the curtains during the day, or turn on a reading light in the evenings. Also, I've recently found Screen Filter, which is a great app to lower the brightness of the screen. These two, in conjunction, have reduced the eye strain noticeably.

As to the pixel issue, I carry one of those microfiber cloths in a tiny zip-lock bag in my wallet or pocket. I use it to clean my screen regularly. Previously I had noticed that the red/green pixel problem was most predominant when my screen had some greasy smears on it. I also switched my e-book software to a black background with grey text. I realize this doesn't help with apps, like internet browsers, where you can't alter colors, and those colors are usually black text on a white background. However, the aforementioned Screen Filter app may help in that regard as well.

These are just some things I found useful. This is such a beautiful and clear screen, it just needs some tweaking.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones