• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Swapping apps to my SD card

benjamin163

Sep 1, 2010
My HTC Desire told me it was running out of space for all my apps so I transferred some to my SD card.
However, many of the apps on there won't transfer. The 'move to SD card' button can't be activated.
Does anyone know why that would be?
Any help gratefully received.

Each specific app must be coded by the developer in such a way to allow Android to move it to the SD.

Many apps are not coded to support this. Since most android phones have a reasonable amount of internal memory, probably developers cannot be bothered to do this to support a relatively small share of the market.

Reactions: benjamin163
Upvote 0
Widgets shouldn't moved to SD card.

Android Developers
App Widgets: Your App Widget will be removed from the home screen. When external storage is remounted, your App Widget will not be available for the user to select until the system resets the home application (usually not until a system reboot).
There are more, see the list ...
App Install Location | Android Developers

Harry

Reactions: benjamin163
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones