• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Switching from Droid X to Razr

bbason

Lurker
Jul 31, 2012
Howdy,

I am looking at buying a used Razr to replace my current Droid X. I am not interested in renewing my 2 yr. contract with Verizon since I have an "all you can eat" data plan. Don't want to give this up!

I know the Droid X is CDMA and does not have a sim card.

Here is the question... what steps will I have to go through to switch my service from the Droid X to a Razr since there is no sim? Also, I know I will need a sim for the Razr, where should I get one and does it need formatted or anything prior to being put in the phone?

Thanks a bunch for your help.

Welcome to the forums, bbason. Also, congratulations on upgrading from the DX to the RAZR --- and I do mean upgarde :)

Yes, the RAZR will utilize a sim card to active (not your normal *228 activation process).

There is a chance that the person selling you the RAZR will include the sim card since there are very few phones (RAZR and Maxx to my knowledge) that use the micro-sim card and, thus, cannot be transferred to another phone. If this is the case and the sim card is present when you get it, simply dial 1-877-807-4646 from any other device (not the RAZR) and have it activated.

I've been told in the past that Verizon doesn't mind giving you a sim card since there's not much to them and the situation of why you need one can be explained fairly easily. However, you may want to contact Verizon Customer Support before making the transaction so that they may send you a sim card in the mail before you ever get your device. Just MAKE SURE it's a micro-sim that you're requesting.

Reactions: bbason
Upvote 0
Welcome to the forums, bbason. Also, congratulations on upgrading from the DX to the RAZR --- and I do mean upgarde :)

Yes, the RAZR will utilize a sim card to active (not your normal *228 activation process).

There is a chance that the person selling you the RAZR will include the sim card since there are very few phones (RAZR and Maxx to my knowledge) that use the micro-sim card and, thus, cannot be transferred to another phone. If this is the case and the sim card is present when you get it, simply dial 1-877-807-4646 from any other device (not the RAZR) and have it activated.

I've been told in the past that Verizon doesn't mind giving you a sim card since there's not much to them and the situation of why you need one can be explained fairly easily. However, you may want to contact Verizon Customer Support before making the transaction so that they may send you a sim card in the mail before you ever get your device. Just MAKE SURE it's a micro-sim that you're requesting.

I've confirmed with a VZW CSR exactly this - they will definitely issue you a 4G LTE Sim (i think she even said that they would overnight it to you) if you need to activate a 4G device..whether it be purchased from ebay, craigslist, etc.

easy!

Reactions: bbason
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones