• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Switching to Sprint. Phone number issue?

Rorschach90

Lurker
Oct 18, 2011
I have less than a month left until my contract with Verizon is completed. I want to switch to Sprint, and get the Moto X, but I have a concern. To get Sprint's new unlimited everything plan for $65, you have to go into the store. I want to customize the Moto X online, and I believe you can pay for it in the actual physical Sprint store when you set up your new account. My issue is this: If I set up a new Sprint account today, they'll transfer my number, which will end my Verizon account. However, it will take the Moto X some time to ship to my residence. Will my Verizon phone cease to connect to the network as soon as I end the contract? Or will it continue to work until the contract is over in a few weeks?

Within a few minutes of porting your number, the Sproint phone will be the one that rings when you're called.

Find a locally-owned Sprint store. Speak to the manager (or owner) and explain the situation and see if they can port the number to an old Sprint phone they can loan you until the new one arrives. Then they can change the number to the new phone in a couple of minutes. (Most stores have old working phones lying around. I'm currently using one I first activated in 2003, then had on the shelf for about 7 years.) If they're going to get you as a permanent customer (for cases, batteries, etc.), they should be willing to spend 2 minutes doing something for you that doesn't cost them anything.

Upvote 0
I have less than a month left until my contract with Verizon is completed. I want to switch to Sprint, and get the Moto X, but I have a concern. My issue is this: If I set up a new Sprint account today, they'll transfer my number, which will end my Verizon account.
I'm in the same situation and also looked into Sprint on getting the Moto X. I was told they would need to transfer the number once I received it, which would cancel services with Vzw, who would charge me $120. My contract expires with them on Dec. 8.

I thought maybe Sprint could have given me a temp number until I was ready to port my number but was told I couldn't. This was with talking to CSR on the phone. I may goto a local sprint store and see what they have to say or do.

Upvote 0
Port your number to Google Voice? That way you can just get a new Sprint number and forward that to GV on either Verizon or Sprint, set that up on either phone and you are good to go. Also, you could avoid any ETF's, just terminate the Verizon line when you want.
I think GV works a bit differently on Sprint, not sure about that, it's more integrated mabey.

Reactions: saptech
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones