• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Swype: hide keyboard

Just want to reiterate what a great app Swype is. It does seems to work perfectly with the Desire, if you use the version OFI posted (or the one for the Incredible, you can google Swype 480x800 to find it as well).

Did only have the pinch/zoom failure the first time after using Swype. Since turning the phone off and on once, have not had any other issues.

Yes, learning to long press the text box to select Swype as the input method for the first time did stump me for a while as well!;)

Upvote 0
Did only have the pinch/zoom failure the first time after using Swype. Since turning the phone off and on once, have not had any other issues.

Interesting.
I have restarted my Desire 2 or 3 times since installing swype and still have intermittent failings of the pinch/zoom function.
And I'm running the version that OFI linked to as well.
Bizarre.
Will give it another power cycle and see if it starts behaving itself.

Upvote 0
yeah, but see, this is my point... megaupload is just as bad as the others already mentioned.
it makes the end user wait a predetermined amount of time before they can download their file.
unless they pay to be a premium member.
what kind of crap is that?
sounds like a mafia extortion racket to me.
sorry, but i use yousendit, and the file is available as soon as the page is loaded. :)

Upvote 0
when you're ready to start typing a text message, long hold the text field.
you'll see a box pop up that says "input method". just select 'swype' and off ya go!

Thanx but I don't understand. The way I get into the text messages is by tapping on the "Messages" symbol on the front page. It then goes into by text message inbox with + new message above. If I tap on it, the qwerty keypad comes up.

where is the "text field" that I hold.

Upvote 0
Hi, I've downloaded and installed Swype onto my new HTC Desire from Rapidshare but have absolutely no idea how to acess it from the phone and then how to make it usable. Any help? Thanx.
Go to Settings>Language & Keyboard and check the Swype box. Input Method will not show up if you don't do that. Then, go somewhere to type and press and hold. Click on Input Method and then select Swype. You're good to go.

Jumping in is great, but seriously - watch the tutorial. You'll learn a few tricks that makes it so much easier. I didn't know that if you swipe from the Swype button to the SYM button, you get a directional pad. A few others like deleting dictionary entries and all that are included, so watch it all the way through.

Tim

Reactions: pini
Upvote 0
Hi well using swype now and very impressed I have to say! But what's this about pouch zoom? Can we make the keyboard bigger? The one thing I miss about the iphone was the fact it had a better keyboard, the characters were just bigger on the screen. Or was it just a case of the pinch zoom was not working within the browser for some.

Upvote 0
hey Bruce..any luck sorting your swype/zoom?

Yeah, it took a couple of complete power cycles, but it seems to have settled into its regular routine now.
:)
Damn, I love swype!

@Dunbad, yeah, sometimes the addition of one of these gesture-driven keyboard apps (swype, shapewriter et al) has an adverse effect on the pinch-to-zoom functionality of the Sense UI.
However, it seems that one (or perhaps 2) complete power cycles of the phone will get things behaving normally again (ie pinch-zoom working, AND your gesture-driven keyboard functional).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones