Swype on Nexus 7?General

1. stridermt2k

stridermt2k Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried installing the beta on theirs yet?

I intend to, as it's my preferred input method.

Advertisement
  2. GiftedPlacebo

GiftedPlacebo Well-Known Member

Yep. One of the first things I did. Apk installed no problem and no issues so far (24+ hours of pretty heavy use)
    godsdragon likes this.
  3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

Let's make sure we are talking about getting a legitimate copy of the beta from Sype and not downloading it from questionable file sharing sites. One, it's a very serious security risk, and two, it's piracy.
  4. GiftedPlacebo

GiftedPlacebo Well-Known Member

Legit copy. There is no waiting anymore. Just register and you get a download link immediately.
  5. stridermt2k

Indeed.
    I've been registered for a while now.
    Google "swype beta"

Totally legit:
    Swype | Text Input for Screens

It may be worth trying if you haven't already.
    It's been preinstalled on my last three smartphones and was found to my joy to be preinstalled on my Toshiba Excite 10
    Unforgiven likes this.
  6. GeoUSA

GeoUSA Well-Known Member

Day 2 of use here and working with no issues. It took me a bit to switch from stock to Swype since you can no longer long press in a text field to select a different keyboard. Now there is a keyboard icon in the notification area at top when in a text field.

The other small "gotcha" is you can't always double tap to select a word. Sometimes this zooms. Rather just single click on a word to select for correction.
    expatCanuck, Bushflyr and mfitchor like this.
  7. stridermt2k

Just set it up here, and it's working great so far.
  8. godsdragon

godsdragon VIP Member VIP Member

Does Swype work with Nexus 7 tablet??
  9. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ~Shoveling Snow~ Moderator

For those folks looking for swype on their N7 that cannot get it in a legit way you should try FlexT9. It is from the same company as swype and is their consumer focused version near as I can tell.
  10. Staggers

Staggers Well-Known Member

Swype's working just fine over here also.
    godsdragon likes this.
  11. stridermt2k

All you have to do is go to the Swype website and sign up for the beta.
    An installer is then downloaded that installs Swype on your Nexus 7 and you're on your way!
  12. mfitchor

mfitchor New Member

Yes. Swype works with the N7. The trick is the keyboard icon in the notification area at the top when you are in text fields. Select the swype keyboard from there and it works great.

godsdragon likes this.
  13. rcarter10

rcarter10 Well-Known Member

I've been using SlideIT on my phone and nexus, just as good as swype really
  14. stridermt2k

I've used both and would say the same thing. I registered my copy of SlideIT when I couldn't get Swype on a device I owned, so I'm a supporter of SlideIT also.

They have a different "feel" from each other, but both are extremely good.

I've simply had Swype since my first smartphone so I'm into it.
  15. Bushflyr

Bushflyr Well-Known Member

Thank you. I had given up. It installed fine, but I couldn't figure out how to activate the durn thing.:confused:
  16. JanComputerman

JanComputerman Well-Known Member

I miss the numbers on the top row of letter keys from my kindle fire keyboard ... having the press and drag function is great for the occasional number pressing.
  17. stridermt2k

I noticed that Swype on the Nexus 7 is a bit buggy compared to the version that came installed on my Toshiba Excite 10, but it's still livable.
  18. Spaceprobe

Spaceprobe Well-Known Member

Works a treat see my post on note taking
  19. GeoUSA

GeoUSA Well-Known Member

I'm mostly happy with the changes in the latest version of Swype. Now that it learns the words I use, it's becoming much more accurate and less frustrating. The "bug" that bothers me is Swype does not automatically capitalize the single letter "I" when set to English. I'm slowly adjusting to dragging down from "i" to the spacebar and then it capitalizes it. Swype used to always capitalize "I". A forum post at Swype indicates their programmers go "back and forth" on this issue.
  20. LS1BadBird

LS1BadBird Well-Known Member

For some reason, I couldn't download it on my tablet. The screen would just flash black after it said it was downloading it.
    I have it downloaded on my g3, so I just moved the .apk to my tablet via dropbox and it works perfectly. Not sure why I couldn't download it...
  21. tcat007

tcat007 Well-Known Member

I love Swype, but since I started using it on my N7, it duplicates the first digit or 1 letter word at the start, sometimes. I get II, or 22 a lot (when I just want I or 2)... I looked in the dictionary and there's no saved double). I may try SlideIt.
  22. ronaldeday

ronaldeday New Member

Thanks for the tip about the notification area. That little tidbit was essential. I kept trying to redownload the whole thing again and again.
  23. sanjeeva7

sanjeeva7 Well-Known Member

Stupid question. After using the Gnex Toolkit, it reset the tablet, restored my apps, unlocked the bootloader, and rooted, now the "keyboard" icon isn't an option to change to swype. If I go into keyboard settings it's not an option.

I downloaded the beta apk from the Swype website.

Attached Files:

24. TheAtheistReverend

TheAtheistReverend Anybody want a peanut? VIP Member

Swype installer will not download the actual keyboard. it just rests on the progress indicator above the "download" button, not quite getting me to the point where I can "select what version" to DL.
    I have tried rebooting, clearing data, reinstalling the apk, etc. Anyone else seen this?
  25. Hoosiermama

Hoosiermama Well-Known Member

The Swype beta keeps force closing on me, sometimes in the middle of typing a sentence. Just started happening with the last update. Its happening so much I've gone back to the stock keyboard until the next update.