• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root System update failed!

btln701

Lurker
Jul 17, 2010
I tried downloading and installing froyo OTA tonight and it rebooted and a status bar showed up. After about a third of the way into it an "!" icon appeared and the phone instantly rebooted. Upon reboot i got a message saying System update failed!

I'm running 2.1 rooted - but all bloatware etc i've kept. Also running LP. Do i need to unroot before updating? I haven't read anything that says I need to.

Any thoughts from the community?

Thanks.

Try downloading the update and install again - when it tries to install the update again ( the screen with the package and the progress bar) press the search button. This will show the install progress and the file it fails on.

Mine was failing the same way on /system/bin/logwrapper - I used this link to fix that and the update went through normally after a re-download and install attempt.

Hope this helps, it was a lifesaver for me.

Upvote 0
Try downloading the update and install again - when it tries to install the update again ( the screen with the package and the progress bar) press the search button. This will show the install progress and the file it fails on.

Mine was failing the same way on /system/bin/logwrapper - I used this link to fix that and the update went through normally after a re-download and install attempt.

Hope this helps, it was a lifesaver for me.
Logwrapper is Koushs bootstrap BTW

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones