• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root System Update on a rooted Ellipsis 7?

flaxton

Lurker
Jan 31, 2014
I rooted my Ellipsis 7 (thanks to this forum) and it is wanting to do a System Update. Do I need to unroot first, or is it safe/okay to proceed with the System Update? I have another Ellipsis 7 that is not rooted, and I'm applying the update there right now. They don't tell you ahead of time what it is exactly. :thinking:

Thanks!

Fred

Reactions: Jrock rogers
OK, the unrooted Ellipsis 7 finished updates. On the "About tablet" page, here is the change:

SW Version
went from
MV7A_31D18_422
to
MV7A_31D26_422

No other changes, even Android stayed at 4.2.2.

So I don't know what the update was about, and they didn't say, but was disappointed it didn't bump to Android 4.3.

I still need advice on my rooted Ellipsis 7 - it is safe to upgrade? :thinking:

Thanks!

Fred

Upvote 0
How did you unroot? I tried running Kingo Root again, but it doesn't see my tablet this time. This is on a Mac with VMWare and the tablet in USB developer mode, connected directly via USB, and with the USB device connected to a Windows 8 virtual machine.

I may have to break down and find a real Windows machine. The daily reminders to update are grating on me.

Upvote 0
How did you unroot? I tried running Kingo Root again, but it doesn't see my tablet this time. This is on a Mac with VMWare and the tablet in USB developer mode, connected directly via USB, and with the USB device connected to a Windows 8 virtual machine.

I may have to break down and find a real Windows machine. The daily reminders to update are grating on me.

I had this happen once before try this:

Make sure USB Debugging is enabled and that it's set to connect as a camera not media. If that doesn't work disable USB debugging and then re-enable it while connected to the pc with Kingo Root running.

Upvote 0
I had this happen once before try this:

Make sure USB Debugging is enabled and that it's set to connect as a camera not media. If that doesn't work disable USB debugging and then re-enable it while connected to the pc with Kingo Root running.

I will try that when I get a chance. I used Universal Unroot (app) to unroot, and then did the system update with no problem.

Can't say I've noticed much different! I wish they would really fix the storage space crazy divisions. It really burns when I have a 16 GB SDCARD with nothing on it...and can't use it for apps. And then they only give 1 GB for apps, even though I have 4 GB internal storage free.

Whose idea was that? Insane. :mad:

Upvote 0
Keep us posted on what happened with yours. I had mine rooted and did the 4.4 update which made my device unuseable (black backlit screen, no response). Luckily, I had a couple of days left on my warranty through Verizon so I sent it to them. I received it back today unrooted with 4.4 installed on it. I'm surprised they didn't say anything about it being rooted, I figured it would've given them a great excuse to blow me off. Oddly, the enclosed letter said they found nothing wrong and couldn't replicate the problem but they obviously did something. Now I need to figured out how to root 4.4 because I'm getting error #9 when I try to use Framaroot...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones