• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Tasker and GPS switching

So after much research I have come to the conclusion that Tasker can't be used to toggle the GPS for specific apps without root access even with using macro commands.

I fully understand the security implications involved if it were on by default but it got me thinking...

Firstly, don't you think it would be good if Google had a simple checkbox along the lines of "allow non play store apps to be installed"?

I suppose I will have to root my device but my question is...

Is it possible to basically unroot" on the fly" as it were?

The reason I ask is because I have an app which won't run on rooted devices so I was wondering if I could set up a tasker profile which will block root privileges so the app will run and the rest of the time remain unrooted? The app in question is Sky Go which basically let's me watch satellite TV and download episodes to my device so I'm guessing if I were rooted I might be able to get around DRM or something.

So after much research I have come to the conclusion that Tasker can't be used to toggle the GPS for specific apps without root access even with using macro commands.

Did you try Secure Settings ?

don't you think it would be good if Google had a simple checkbox along the lines of "allow non play store apps to be installed"?

Maybe I misunderstood, but there is such checkbox, and when unchecked, you are allowed to install apps outside of G.Play.

Is it possible to basically unroot" on the fly" as it were?

Sorry, that I can't help. Never root. But there is here, ALL ROOT part of forum, when I'm sure you will find exactly what you are looking for.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones