• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Tasker WiFi On/Off Help

Hello,

I have set tasker up with a profile to turn WiFi on when I am within 500m and off when I am outside the 500m radius of my home. It works just fine to turn the WiFi off, but will not turn the WiFi on at all. Please help me figure this out.

I used this profile: Turn On WiFi at Home - Tasker Wiki

Anyone have any ideas on how to make this work?

Kratos

One possible explanation is that, as the Tasker profile is activated by the phone's GPS location, it is fine when it is receiving a GPS fix using satellites+cell towers+Wi-Fi as this offers the most accurate fix of all.

However, when the Wi-Fi is turned off, Tasker is relying on a less accurate and slower GPS fix of just satellites+cell towers and does not know it is within a 500m radius of your house to re-enable the Wi-Fi.

You can try and improve your GPS fix by using the instructions in the GPS Fix - Dummies Guide to see if that helps.

Upvote 0
Yes, it should be. It is pulling location based on the what the cell towers are reporting as the location. GPS is not being taken into consideration and the actual cell tower is also not being taken into consideration.

I tried using Cell Near and that worked quite well, but it was almost as bad with my battery as full GPS.

I also thought about using WiFi Near, but you can't have a hidden SSID and I refuse to unhide my SSID. I then thought about using a neighbors WiFi MAC for this function, but if they ever change their device or hide their SSID, it would be rendered useless again.

I just can't figure out why it turns off without issue, but won't turn on.

Kratos

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones