• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tell us if you got your ICS update and how do you like it?

I love this update... I had a D3 before this and BOUGHT the lucid outright, it's a tiny powerhouse... 2.3 was feeling stale but ICs makes the phone fly, I added nova tho, I wanted some extras and go launcher ex doesn't play well with ics/jb(I have a nexus 7 also)...

for those experiencing choppiness you should reboot after the update, I remember back to the G1 days choppiness after big updates were solved with a reboot, if you still have issues there is an app causing issues maybe its the launcher or an app that's not coded correctly. Also disable the VZW apps you will see massive improvement from that as well.

This is a great phone and after reading that google inspired moto's won't be out until late 2013 I'm sticking with the lucid, Jha really ruined my moto experience... tho the LG Nexus is tempting...or a Lucid 2 or Spectrum 2...

I hope we get LB also...

Upvote 0
Running stock....did he update over the air. No problems.....Found a couple of issues. Cant toggle it to 3g only. The app phone info doesnt work. Also, seems to turn on wifi by itself....

Never have been able to natively toggle 3g only, maybe with 3rd party app.

Also, does turn on wifi itself, but should still give message. Just like GB. Pain in the butt though.

Upvote 0
I got mine installed OTA (unrooted, stock Lucid). A few things I learned, with the help of the folks from Verizon:

1. Make sure the phone is well-charged. Mine used up about 15% doing the installation.
  2. Disable Wi-Fi. The OTA installation doesn't like it.
  3. Remove any external SD card. The ICS initialization doesn't like it.
  4. After downloading, once you press the "Install" button, turn your phone face-down so you can't see it and leave it for half an hour. The instructions say it takes 15 minutes to update, but mine took about 25. During much of that time, the phone appears to be bricked — if you look at it, you'll probably freak out. Just leave it alone. There's nothing you need to do, nor should do, during that half-hour.
  5. The more apps you have, the longer the final start-up will take, but at least in this case you'll see a reassuring screen counting off the apps.
  6. If after half an hour the phone's working but you're still on Gingerbread, re-do the download and install process. For some reason, sometimes you have to do it twice.
  7. Of course, once everything's working, you can reinstall your external SD card and re-enable Wi-Fi.
ICS broke a lot of things for me. At this point, I'm more miffed than pleased. I haven't yet found anything that ICS does that I couldn't do with Gingerbread, but I've lost a bunch of capabilities that I did have, including downloading photos to my computer over the USB cable. In ICS, Google removed USB device mount capabilities. Update on the following: see below. The Lucid ICS offers a number of choices for USB communication, but it ignores those choices and only permits USB to be used for Internet connection via external modem. Whoopee.

Update on the following: see below. And no, Lucid's ICS does not have Face Unlock. It has an option for it, but like the USB options I just mentioned, it's disabled. Be careful about assuming that just because there's an option shown, the Lucid will honor that option. There seems to be a lot of stuff that's disabled and/or doesn't work.

By the way, in Lucid ICS the external SD card is mounted at /mnt/_ExternalSD which has made some of my apps unhappy. Some of my apps just needed me to update the path in the settings, but others hard-code known paths for the external SD, and that's not one of the known paths. One of my apps created the folder /mnt/sdcard/_ExternalSD and is merrily writing to that, thinking it's still writing to the external SD, but isn't having any luck finding the files it'd written to that path yesterday.

If I knew then what I know now, I'd have stayed with Gingerbread. I've spent about 8 hours trying to get my phone working as well as it had been, and I'm not there yet and I'm not sure I'll ever get there.

Upvote 0
And no, Lucid's ICS does not have Face Unlock. It has an option for it, but like the USB options I just mentioned, it's disabled. Be careful about assuming that just because there's an option shown, the Lucid will honor that option. There seems to be a lot of stuff that's disabled and/or doesn't work.

Hummm I have face unlock on my Lucid and it does work. It will recognize my face, but none of my kids or wife's faces will unlock the phone. So I'd have to disagree with you on the Lucid's ICS not having it since it works fine on mine.

Upvote 0
Hummm I have face unlock on my Lucid and it does work.

Okay, I tried it again and it worked this time. Earlier, whenever I'd press the Continue key to go take the face snapshot it just returned me to the Lock Screen Settings dialog with "swipe" unlock set. I'd tried it a few times, all with the same result. Now it's working. I don't know what's different.

Furthermore, after literally hours of fuming over trying to get my phone to accept any USB setting other than Internet modem, now that's suddenly working, too — although I did have to select MTP instead of mass storage to get it talking to Windows. And that apparently won't show photo files except under the DCIM folder.

This ICS thing is making me crazy. Maybe I needed to leave the phone alone for 24 hours while it gets its act together or something.

Upvote 0
Okay, I tried it again and it worked this time. Earlier, whenever I'd press the Continue key to go take the face snapshot it just returned me to the Lock Screen Settings dialog with "swipe" unlock set. I'd tried it a few times, all with the same result. Now it's working. I don't know what's different.

Furthermore, after literally hours of fuming over trying to get my phone to accept any USB setting other than Internet modem, now that's suddenly working, too

Upvote 0
So far it's great IMO. Battery life seems almost better actually. I was running a root and the broken out gingerbread version that was giving me better battery life than stock, and it seems to be keeping up with that even though it's not rooted.

The one thing I really am annoyed by, and this isn't a big deal. But I can't find a way to change the number of home screens at all! I've been searching and searching. No Dice.

I like that you can change the lock screen around now. Though I haven't, I like that I can.

So far I've had pretty much no problems I can really think of, only been running it a couple of days though.

Anyone have any idea how to remove home screens?? It's making me sad.

Upvote 0
Ive got a new phone.!!!!.. I did a hard reset and then used Verizon update assisstant Via PC... Its faster, cleaner and I can use folders in the All apps window... leaving the shortcuts and clutter off of my homescreen.. It does turn Wifi on randomly but appears to improve overall performance and battery life... Also I found something awesome.. Go Power Saver - scroll to bottom and select "show battery percentage" and finally everything Ive wanted.

Upvote 0
The one thing I really am annoyed by, and this isn't a big deal. But I can't find a way to change the number of home screens at all! I've been searching and searching. No Dice.

I think I spent about an hour chasing that one down myself. Of course, the answer turned out to be very simple once you know it: go to any home screen and pinch smaller. That'll bring up the usual home-screen add/remove/rearrange screen.

Reactions: zorbatgreek
Upvote 0
U need to install the lg usb driver from LG VS840 Support: Find Manuals & Warranty Info | LG USA.

On another note. ICS keeps notifying me to unplug to save energy.. when the battery is full. lol... I leave it plugged in sometimes because of battery hogging programs like poker or scramble... anyone know how to disable it?

And if someone knows how to disable the wifi from automatically turning on.. please help... changing settings or using power savers or toggle programs doesnt do it

Upvote 0
U need to install the lg usb driver from LG VS840 Support: Find Manuals & Warranty Info | LG USA.

On another note. ICS keeps notifying me to unplug to save energy.. when the battery is full. lol... I leave it plugged in sometimes because of battery hogging programs like poker or scramble... anyone know how to disable it?

And if someone knows how to disable the wifi from automatically turning on.. please help... changing settings or using power savers or toggle programs doesnt do it

I have the drivers.Just got off the phone with Verizon,they're sending me another Lucid :D hopefully it works

Upvote 0

For real with the wifi. Its a pain in the butt. It doesn't come on automatically when I want, and does when I don't. There are settings for it in wifi settings I believe, but they don't seem to work.

Upvote 0
I think I spent about an hour chasing that one down myself. Of course, the answer turned out to be very simple once you know it: go to any home screen and pinch smaller. That'll bring up the usual home-screen add/remove/rearrange screen.

Cheers mate!

Happy as can be now. Pulled off the charger at 8:30 this morning 14 hours later now, still have 30% left. Really does seem like I'm getting better battery life. And IMO noticeably better performance. And for sure better customization. Really glad this came through for us. I can stop eying GS3's now and my wallet can stop worrying! :smokingsomb:

Upvote 0
I'm liking the update. I actually have uninstalled it and resinstalled it over and over - I've become a pro. Then I received my replacement phone yesterday (because mine was previously bricked, but I ended up recoverying it) and I've decided to forgo rooting for now. The root that we have seems to be ok, but I've yet to be able to get things like Wifi Tether (or even FoxFi) to work, along with CWM. So at that point, root is almost useless to me. We'll definitely need someone to figure out how to unlock the bootloader, as this phone seems to be locked down well. Even installing the most recent version of CWM ends up either bricking the phone or getting that silly error when you try to boot into recovery.

All in all though, once the update settles down and I have all my customization done, it's a pretty sweet upgrade. I like that customizing the launcher, lock screen, etc. is actually built in. The GB image for the Lucid was horrible. This launcher I can actually live with (although the theme/icon choices are still horrid).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones