• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Terrible sound when plugged into stereo

So I just bought a galaxy s4 the other day and went to go play music in my car and there was loud popping and screeching noises coming from my speakers. My friends iPhone does make the noise but not nearly as often or as bad as my phone. I use one of those cassette player things that plug into your phone and so I thought that was bad and went out to buy a new one. But it still does it. I've read other threads were people say its bad hardware on my phone but when I use my headphones it works perfectly fine plus I want to avoid going through the hassle of going to the store and getting my phone switched of fixed if possible.. Any help would be appreciated!

It sounds like you are either overpowering the car's audio input, or RF interference from your phone. RF is the easiest thing to troubleshoot, so let's start there. Pull down your notification bar with two fingers, which will expose the Quick-settings buttons. Temporarily disable anything that generates a signal (e.g., Bluetooth, S Beam, NFC), then make your hookup and see if the problem still exists. If it's clear now, re-enable functions one by one to discover the culprit. If the problem still exists, it's possible that there is an impedance or output difference between your S4 and your friend's iPhone. A quick search on eBay reveales that many of these phone-to-cassette adapters are iPhone/iTab specific. See if you can borrow one that's not. For example: Amazon.com: Cellet Cassette Audio Adapter for iPhone/iPod/ Android Phones/MP3 Players and CD Players - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

Reactions: itsallgood
Upvote 0
Its a factory audi head unit from an 04 so there is no usb support. I tried turning off all the signals and there was still noise but when I turned on airplane mode the noise stopped completely. That would suck to have to keep my phone on airplane mode, so I think I am going to try to find one of those cassettes for androids off of amazon like you suggested and hopefully that pans out.

Upvote 0
If turning on airplane mode does the trick, it must be one of the functions that generates a signal as Mr Lucky rightly points out.

You should, in theory at least, be able to narrow it down as you can turn off all the functions separately that airplane mode turns off in bulk.

I had a similar problem with my S2 using one of those cassette adapters. My approach (which I admit may not suit you) was to buy a JVC bluetooth head unit which cost me about

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones