• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

TETHERING ON THE NEW "UNLIMITED $50 PLAN" IS NOW SUPER THROTTLED ME DOWN TO 12-25kb/sec READ!!!

My wife and I both hit the cap watching Netflix. For us, it was 60gig in the D/FW area.

As far as tethering, hiding your tether usage in PDANet does not prevent them from monitoring how much data you use. It simply changed your user agent string or removes your string, depending on which setting you use.

It simply stops MetroPCS from noticing that you are not connecting from your phone.

I was not happy with the cap, but I could not get anyone to communicate with me at Metro.

They advertise that you can have unlimited music and video streaming, but they also have a clause that states that if you are using more then they consider to be average, then they can your speeds.

Personally, I think it can be challenged, because the advertisements do not state that it is unlimited except for our limit, but I haven't seen anyone who has the money to challenge it.

Bottom line, be careful with your data usage. You can be cut off for following the rules or for not following the rules. Either way, noone wants to be capped...

Reactions: divagirl
Upvote 0
My wife and I both hit the cap watching Netflix. For us, it was 60gig in the D/FW area.

As far as tethering, hiding your tether usage in PDANet does not prevent them from monitoring how much data you use. It simply changed your user agent string or removes your string, depending on which setting you use.

It simply stops MetroPCS from noticing that you are not connecting from your phone.

I was not happy with the cap, but I could not get anyone to communicate with me at Metro.

They advertise that you can have unlimited music and video streaming, but they also have a clause that states that if you are using more then they consider to be average, then they can your speeds.

Personally, I think it can be challenged, because the advertisements do not state that it is unlimited except for our limit, but I haven't seen anyone who has the money to challenge it.

Bottom line, be careful with your data usage. You can be cut off for following the rules or for not following the rules. Either way, noone wants to be capped...

They do state abnormal use of data will cause service to be slowed, suspended or terminated.

I'm just surprised of the amount of data you've used in a month 60GB that like 16 hours of youtube videos every day. I understand there advertisement of unlimited but you've got to cut the company some slack these are PCS phones Personal Communication Systems not personal computers with unlimited hotspot. I'd be happy with getting away with hotspotting for that much data.

Upvote 0
You have an over estimation of the amount of video required.

Highest settings on Netflix (DVD quality) can run around .6 of a gig an hour. Two people watching their own tv shows can quickly end the amount of data you have on the plan.

Also, while I tether now for small things and I watch my data carefully, we did this before we knew how to tether the phones.

At there time we blew our cap, we did so through heavy usage, but nothing that wasn't advertised we could do.

We are more careful now because we do not want to have to wait until the next month to get data back.

Reactions: divagirl
Upvote 0
Is there a link to a tutorial on how to tether on Metropcs? I have an LG Motion. I'm on the basic 4G $30 plan, so I realize that if I tether it would likely be at less than 4G speeds, but I'm hoping to use it as a last resort if I'm in a location that does not have WIFI and I need to look up something on my laptop. Thanks!

Simple! Just root, download the root WiFi tether app by Muller, Lemons, Buxton in the Play Store and open it, press the menu button > Settings > Device Profile > ICS/JB Generic (wlan0), then exit and restart the app, then tap the WiFi icon, accept superuser prompt, BINGO! WiFi!

Upvote 0
Yeah they will still cap you or slow you down if you are sucking up the data. They sent me messages like those back when I first started tethering. Then I switched over and paid for PDANet which strips your data usage for your carrier.

I was using the 2.5 and never got any messages after I got PDANet. Also you can use a VPN to block your usage.

My Download speed is between 2 and 4 mbs it's faster than stealing it from my neighbors wifi lol

Tried the Free version of PDANet + FoxFi last nite and it works great.

I'll have to spend $7.00 for the Full version of PDANet, but since I'm on the $30.00 per month plan and don't use much Data as I have WiFi at Home and at Work I don't use much Data but the $7.00 for PDANet can come in handy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones