• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tethering wifi to bluetooth

Ellipsis

Lurker
Nov 20, 2010
I run an Asus Transformer, wifi only. A friend runs a Motorola Xoom. I want to understand the limitations of tethering as well as the capabilities.

I hear a lot of stories of tethering, but it's always over 3/4G. Can you tether using an existing wifi connection instead of a cell signal?

Here's the situation.
Friend's Xoom
not rooted
Bluetooth on and enabled. Connected and paired to my Transformer.
wifi disabled entirely.
His bluetooth is set to use the internet connection.

My Asus Transformer
rooted
Bluetooth on and enabled. Discoverable.
Connected to good wifi signal.
My bluetooth settings show that it is "Sharing this tablet's Internet connection to 1 device".
It is his device it's connected to.

When he tries to browse a webpage, he IMMEDIATELY gets an error that there's no internet connection available. Wifi is NOT hooked up to any hotspots on his tablet. he IS connected to my tablet over bluetooth. He sits about 5 feet away from me, so I wouldn't think range is an issue.

Any ideas?

Another barely related question... is it possible for me to connect to a wifi hotspot AND turn my tablet into its own wifi hotspot at the same time and will it work? I suspect not, but I wanted to be sure.

I run an Asus Transformer, wifi only. A friend runs a Motorola Xoom. I want to understand the limitations of tethering as well as the capabilities.

I hear a lot of stories of tethering, but it's always over 3/4G. Can you tether using an existing wifi connection instead of a cell signal?

Here's the situation.
Friend's Xoom
not rooted
Bluetooth on and enabled. Connected and paired to my Transformer.
wifi disabled entirely.
His bluetooth is set to use the internet connection.

My Asus Transformer
rooted
Bluetooth on and enabled. Discoverable.
Connected to good wifi signal.
My bluetooth settings show that it is "Sharing this tablet's Internet connection to 1 device".
It is his device it's connected to.

When he tries to browse a webpage, he IMMEDIATELY gets an error that there's no internet connection available. Wifi is NOT hooked up to any hotspots on his tablet. he IS connected to my tablet over bluetooth. He sits about 5 feet away from me, so I wouldn't think range is an issue.

Any ideas?

Another barely related question... is it possible for me to connect to a wifi hotspot AND turn my tablet into its own wifi hotspot at the same time and will it work? I suspect not, but I wanted to be sure.

I'm no expert in this area so my help is extremely limited but I did notice that you say his system says Wifi is not hooked up. Which to me suggest that his system is expecting internet over the Wifi but not over bluetooth. Maybe there is a setting that needs to be changed either from the browser or in the devices settings.

As far as your other question Logic tells me if your within range to connect to a wifi hotspot then so would the other devices in that range. but again i'm not an expert in this area.

Upvote 0
Do you mean like a repeater? I'm not sure but you piqued my curiosity enough to make me go look:). I don't think this will solve your connectivity problems though as all repeaters I have worked with carry the same restrictions as the base router, no the Mac address restriction would still apply.

edit: I did some hunting around, because the phones only have one WIFI antennae it is not possible to use them as a repeater.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones