• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help text message notification sound not working

I figured out how to fix this!!

Here are the steps,

1. Goto system settings > application manager> all .

Then scroll down till you get to "messages" . Click it.

I bet you you have "show notifications" unchecked. Check that box and voila, notifications back
This is the only thing that has worked for me...had no notification's for most of this year since an.update on my note edge...I'm usually good with working phones out but since chemo last yr I am unable to concentrate....thanku so very very much : )

Upvote 0
If anyone else is still having issues I found one solution. A third party App was disrupting my notifications as someone said. They wouldn't play at all. It was Zedge. All I did was go into the Zedge App, to settings, and cleared the Zedge phone settings. This fixed it, although I had to reset my contact ringtones and sounds after that. I was still able to use Zedge for ringtones and notifications without it now disrupting notifications, so not sure why it happened in the first place. I'm guessing that is probably what's happening to a lot of your phones. You could check the settings on each App you have or delete App by App and see which one is causing the problem. Hope this helps someone, good luck :)

Upvote 0
I also had problems with notifications. No sound, no alerts, etc. I searched online to find a solution and actually, ended up solving my issue my own self!! By accident!! How many of you use BLOCKING MODE? I use it at night to keep the alerts from waking me up, as my phone is my alarm clock. EVEN THOUGH, we have a set time on blocking mode to block sounds, (mine is from 9pm to 6am), it apparently isn't doing what it's supposed to be doing!. Because it was keeping my text notifications from sounding at all, even through the day. So I turned off blocking mode and voila!! WE have sounds again.

Upvote 0
all my other notification and media sounds are working. its just for text message that isn't. and its the only important sound that i actually need to work. my notification bar is on. i even went into setting on messaging and reset it to default. and it didn't work either.

it would be really great if somebody is able to help me with this problem. i dont want to reset/reboot my phone if possible. thanks

I fixed mine. I went to settings and then Device and then Notifications. There will be a list of apps you want notifications from. Find your messenger app and turn it on. I never turned it off but some how it was. Hope this helps. Also I have a Galaxy S6 active.

Upvote 0
I'm using Android Marshmallow. My fix is pretty...embarrassing.

This is more like what I deserve for not reading or paying much attention, but I had "Do not disturb" on. Merely turning that off gave me my message sound back.

I can do this on Android Marshmallow by tapping on of the volume buttons (which brings down one of the sound sliders) and tapping "End Now" or by going in my notification tray and hitting the Do Not Disturb button "which had the Priority Only button on it" turning it off.

I have some pictures I'll upload. One of them is the picture with the "End Now" option under the volume slider.

Screenshot_20170103-223900.png

The other pictures I have are from my notification tray (drawer?) . Respectively, they are with the "Priority Only" option on:

Screenshot_20170103-223945.png

and the "Do Not Disturb" option when turns off.

Screenshot_20170103-223951.png

This is from my Marshmallow Moto G4

Upvote 0
Are you all set now? I literally just made two adjustments on my phone and it now works.

all my other notification and media sounds are working. its just for text message that isn't. and its the only important sound that i actually need to work. my notification bar is on. i even went into setting on messaging and reset it to default. and it didn't work either.

it would be really great if somebody is able to help me with this problem. i dont want to reset/reboot my phone if possible. thanks

Upvote 0
It's the automatic update of Verizon Message. Uninstall it and notification will turn back on. However, emoticons will change. Only way to restore those is to download update again, but the notification turns off again. Catch-22. Seems like a bug to me. Still trying to get the emoticons back that i've gotten used to.

Upvote 0
I figured out how to fix this!!

Here are the steps,

1. Goto system settings > application manager> all .

Then scroll down till you get to "messages" . Click it.

I bet you you have "show notifications" unchecked. Check that box and voila, notifications back

Respect madam/sir. Absolute respect. After having fought with my phone and racked my brain as to how my message sounds got turned off, I found your post. You have saved me the trouble of having to reset to factory settings. Thank you. Much appreciated and MUCH respect.

Upvote 0
This is the only thing that has worked for me...had no notification's for most of this year since an.update on my note edge...I'm usually good with working phones out but since chemo last yr I am unable to concentrate....thanku so very very much : )
Thanks man, sometimes we overlook the obvious. (and I'm ashamed to admit that I'm an Android Dev/modder who's deep into Linux, ADB and Fastboot this pm but forgot to check simple settings)

Upvote 0
Thanks man, sometimes we overlook the obvious. (and I'm ashamed to admit that I'm an Android Dev/modder who's deep into Linux, ADB and Fastboot this pm but forgot to check simple settings)

Upvote 0

Upvote 0
I've had the same problem since the latest update (samsung galaxy S6) I have tried a lot .. including deleting old messages etc .. changes the tone sound .. and still nothing .. but I found my issue at least .. Went to Settings > Notifications ( not sounds and tones ) Wait for all the apps to load up .. for some reason the messages app was switched off .
Just wanted to say thank you! Only had my S6 a week and couldn't get text sounds to work. Tried everything others have said but nothing worked. Phoned Carphone Warehouse and their 'technical' person was a lady in Customer Service who read me ideas off a website! She knew nothing. However your helpful link worked - something so simple that I hadn't thought of. Days of hassle are resolved. Thank you!

Upvote 0
I've had the same problem since the latest update (samsung galaxy S6) I have tried a lot .. including deleting old messages etc .. changes the tone sound .. and still nothing .. but I found my issue at least .. Went to Settings > Notifications ( not sounds and tones ) Wait for all the apps to load up .. for some reason the messages app was switched off .
Just wanted to say thank you! Only had my S6 a week and couldn't get text sounds to work. Tried everything others have said but nothing worked. Phoned Carphone Warehouse and their 'technical' person was a lady in Customer Service who read me ideas off a website! She knew nothing. However your helpful link worked - something so simple that I hadn't thought of. Days of hassle are resolved. Thank you!

Upvote 0
None of the above fixes have worked on my S5 Mini. However, I read somewhere else that since the last update there is no notification sound for text messages if the message app / thread is open. So I tried it out. Well for some reason I get sound notification for incoming texts if my app is closed. But I sent a text to a friend and asked them to reply, I left the message app open after sending my text, and I got the reply text but no sound. Not happy!
Just a thought. After installing the last Samsung updates, I was not getting text notifications but it's fixed now! I tried all of the suggestions on here and none worked except one: uninstalling CM Security. If you have it, try uninstalling it. This did it for me. I am SOOOOO relieved! Good luck! Hope this helps!

Reactions: Joefis15
Upvote 0
Did you try David's suggestion? It seems so silly, but this worked for me and I tried everything!
Go to System Settings > Sound > Volume and increase the slider for notifications. Somehow mine got set to low/off.
Just a thought. After installing the last Samsung updates for my S7, I was not getting text notifications but it's fixed now! I tried all of the suggestions on here and none worked except one: uninstalling CM Security. If you have it, try uninstalling it. This did it for me. I am SOOOOO relieved! Good luck! Hope this helps!

Reactions: Joefis15
Upvote 0
Just a thought. After installing the last Samsung updates for my S7, I was not getting text notifications but it's fixed now! I tried all of the suggestions on here and none worked except one: uninstalling CM Security. If you have it, try uninstalling it. This did it for me. I am SOOOOO relieved! Good luck! Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
I finally got mine working again. Had to go to System Settings>Sound>Volume and change the slider for notifications. No idea how it got set low (off), or if it will happen again, but it seems to be a master sound controller that would override anything in an app.

Thanks so much for that solution - had exactly the same problem and did exactly as you suggest which did the job! Like you, no idea why it happened in the first place - seems utterly random!

Upvote 0
Hello everyone, to any who happens to own the Galaxy S8, I'm sure by now you've tried everything that you saw on this forum and had no success. I was just about to waltz my ass, down to At&t and suggest that they take this phone and shove it up you no where. Until I succumb to patience and caught Nanster59's post, Yes indeed! Yes Indeed!, that did the trick! I now receive notifications on everything, especially my texts, YOU ROCK Nanster59!

Upvote 0
Thanks to you, I love my phone again, your awesome!

Upvote 0

That should have been the first thing you should have checked.

Upvote 0

You didn't check that first? Shame on you

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones