• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The EVO is old news now

We also have full video conferencing available in all the large meeting rooms at work and all our work laptops come pre-installed with the software to interface with it (and they all have webcams built in too), but, no-one EVER uses it. We just set up a dial in for everything. No-one wants to use video chat.

Upvote 0
We also have full video conferencing available in all the large meeting rooms at work and all our work laptops come pre-installed with the software to interface with it (and they all have webcams built in too), but, no-one EVER uses it. We just set up a dial in for everything. No-one wants to use video chat.

Work video conferencing stinks because everyone's watching what everyone else is doing. It also gets in the way of multi-tasking. I worked for a dipstick that basically used it to take attendance and because he knew none of us cared what he was talking about and would otherwise be doing email or some other office work that works well when there's no picture and you can mute the voice.

I like it for personal communications though.

Upvote 0
You know what I think is old news? Video Calling. As the rest of the world has been there, done that and moved on. We think of it as the lastest and greatest technology. It's just a fad and will quickly wear off.

Yup. You realize this quickly upon trying it. Hmm, do I look okay? Am I wearing clothes? Is my house clean behind me? Forget this, just text somebody.

Upvote 0
Huh? Dude are you slow in the brain or something? What does facetime (which is what people are arguing about) have ANYTHING to do with a 3rd party app?

Are you slow?

As Android users champion "options" why is it that when the iPhone has "options" its no longer valid? That was the point I was trying to get across.

You don't see me complaining about the EVO's keyboard because you know why? There are "options" or apps you can download to change that.

You don't like Facetime? There are "options" for you to download and use to your liking, such as Fring.

Hence my comment about your blind hate.

Upvote 0
Are you slow?

As Android users champion "options" why is it that when the iPhone has "options" its no longer valid? That was the point I was trying to get across.

You don't see me complaining about the EVO's keyboard because you know why? There are "options" or apps you can download to change that.

You don't like Facetime? There are "options" for you to download and use to your liking, such as Fring.

Hence my comment about your blind hate.

Did you read my post at all? What does "Facetime" have to do with the other options?

Upvote 0
It's good for Grandma's who want to see their grandkids, and Apple Iphone commercials. That's about it. Otherwise, it's just not practical.

I've unquit the thread just to toss these few ideas back in:

It's great to be able to see the other guy's attorney's face when you're negotiating a contract and you just can't get to a working laptop.

It's great to be at a customer site and to show the devs back home their wiring configurations - where they can feedback, hey, turn the camera that way, or, can you get me a close-up of that.

It's great when you'd like to give a new prospective customer a walk-through tour of your laboratories and business facilities and they're on the other side of the planet - or even cross-country.

It's not uncommon that some of my work travel would cost me 26 hours of travel, planes, trains and automobiles, from my door to the hotel - then toss in minimum of 9 more hours before getting to see the customer - plus return - a day and a half trip can cost me a week+ in real time.

Not to mention what it does to my carbon footprint, nor to our cost of goods sold.

So, while this may be fad or trend or a method of micro-management at work to some, for others of us, it's a potential godsend to have this capability while on the go.

It certainly was the short time I had it.

And no knocking on the grandparents - I've got six grandkids and when I can't get to them, you'd be surprised at how much it matters to just videochat with them and blow kisses back and forth with the little ones and hear about the teen-ager's new BFF when I can't be there.

Again - that's just me.

YMMV.

But kindly consider - a lot of really big airplanes are always really full and really flying tight schedules across oceans when a simple, effective, cost-cutting measure like this would do just as well.

Reactions: damewolf13
Upvote 0
Back on topic:

The Evo is an incredible piece of machinery. I have never enjoyed using a smartphone as much as the Evo. I never imagined that it'd become my hobby when I purchased it. Rooting the phone and then learning more about how it works underneath has been a blast.

Considering how many "What will you do first" commercials I see (one every commercial break), and considering how many people are dying to get one but it's out of stock, I'd say the Evo is still VERY relevant.

And HTC should stop cranking out 69 phones a year and focus on support and improving the known good models, like the Evo. We need to make "EVO" a brand. The next HTC phone for sprint should be an Evo sequel. That's simply smart marketing.

Long live the Evo.

Upvote 0
And HTC should stop cranking out 69 phones a year and focus on support and improving the known good models, like the Evo. We need to make "EVO" a brand. The next HTC phone for sprint should be an Evo sequel. That's simply smart marketing.

Long live the Evo.

While I share the sentiment, the truth is that's very Western thinking.

Taiwan's Chinese people are one of my favorites.

As a nation they're industrious to a fault, as a society they value variety and individuality (like no place else I've been or experienced), and as a culture they're all about family.

I should think that as Easterners, the idea of concentrating on but a single or restrictive product is, well, foreign.

I think if you could meet with HTC and suggest your idea to them, they'd only hear it as equating to employing fewer friends and family, and being less industrious in competing with other nations for world-wide cell phone distribution.

I think they'd then buy you dinner and tell you that you were a very nice American, make friends, and then listen to all of your ideas.

I think one of the big issues in QC seemed to stem from a bad supply of adhesive. I read that here as second info from another poster's statement, and I believe them. Another seems to have been a bad supply of various parts.

Their rationale on the software - I think I can guess dead on what they were thinking with these built-in limitations: new device with higher level integration than before, must make good with Sprint, cannot defray costs selling this variant elsewhere = be conservative, offer some feature cutback if there's any question whatsoever about anything causing product return.

In short, the Taiwanese answer as to any problems with the Evo wouldn't be because they make too many types of phones.

In their minds, I believe they'd tell you it's because they didn't get the chance to make enough variants of this one.

And make no mistake - given the size, dual cameras, and number and type of radio chips - this is a completely separate beast to them. The only thing that I know of offhand that comes close is the HD2 (and look at the back - very different manufacturing process at some point) - and maybe the Desire HD, if rumors are to be believed.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, I'm just suggesting reasons why that may never come to pass (beyond the endless "HTC doesn't care" mantra I know we both hate).

Upvote 0
I've unquit the thread just to toss these few ideas back in:

It's great to be able to see the other guy's attorney's face when you're negotiating a contract and you just can't get to a working laptop.

It's great to be at a customer site and to show the devs back home their wiring configurations - where they can feedback, hey, turn the camera that way, or, can you get me a close-up of that.

It's great when you'd like to give a new prospective customer a walk-through tour of your laboratories and business facilities and they're on the other side of the planet - or even cross-country.

It's not uncommon that some of my work travel would cost me 26 hours of travel, planes, trains and automobiles, from my door to the hotel - then toss in minimum of 9 more hours before getting to see the customer - plus return - a day and a half trip can cost me a week+ in real time.

Not to mention what it does to my carbon footprint, nor to our cost of goods sold.

So, while this may be fad or trend or a method of micro-management at work to some, for others of us, it's a potential godsend to have this capability while on the go.

It certainly was the short time I had it.

And no knocking on the grandparents - I've got six grandkids and when I can't get to them, you'd be surprised at how much it matters to just videochat with them and blow kisses back and forth with the little ones and hear about the teen-ager's new BFF when I can't be there.

Again - that's just me.

YMMV.

But kindly consider - a lot of really big airplanes are always really full and really flying tight schedules across oceans when a simple, effective, cost-cutting measure like this would do just as well.

I stand corrected, but I WAS right about that Grandparent's thing.
I just knew it!:)

Upvote 0
Man, y'all are leaving out a very important use!!!!!! Naked video chatting with your SO!!!! You can just point the phone instead of doing all kinds of gymnastics to get in front of the desk top webcam.....C'mon folks!!!! Wake up....there is value to video chat on your cellphone!!!....:)
LOL! If you do this on Qik, just remember to keep your videos private or everyone can see your vids!

Upvote 0
I stand corrected, but I WAS right about that Grandparent's thing.
I just knew it!:)

:D

Yeah.

The long diatribe about my work and use for the FFC is true.

But it was all just an excuse to brag about the kids. :lol:

(And yes, I am teaching them all to have my sense of humor and good behavior.)

Anyway, socially and for business, videochat is great.

But also important - I think flyjbaker is simply dead-dog right - but given your sensitivities, I'll let it go by simply predicting that'll be yet another driving factor in its long-term success.

Upvote 0
LOL! If you do this on Qik, just remember to keep your videos private or everyone can see your vids!

Yeah. Um... yeah. That's important. Yeah.

flyjbaker.gif

Uh huh.

(no offense intended, just cracking myself up, per usual - but I mean, you know, nice)

Upvote 0
:D

Yeah.

The long diatribe about my work and use for the FFC is true.

But it was all just an excuse to brag about the kids. :lol:

(And yes, I am teaching them all to have my sense of humor and good behavior.)

Anyway, socially and for business, videochat is great.

But also important - I think flyjbaker is simply dead-dog right - but given your sensitivities, I'll let it go by simply predicting that'll be yet another driving factor in its long-term success.

Oh I've got no problem at all with the naked video chat thing with the s.o.
I think that would be amazingly titilating,(yes I said titilating) and you gotta do whatever keeps the s.o. interested these days. I just feel that certain language is derogatory, and unnecessary to the cause(unless spoken in the heat of passion TO the s.o.):eek:

Upvote 0
Oh I've got no problem at all with the naked video chat thing with the s.o.
I think that would be amazingly titilating,(yes I said titilating) and you gotta do whatever keeps the s.o. interested these days. I just feel that certain language is derogatory, and unnecessary to the cause(unless spoken in the heat of passion TO the s.o.):eek:

Hey - no intention of calling you backwards or anything bad - just wanting to ensure I stayed within the bounds of propriety.

As for WifelyMon - we've never stopped acting like teenagers and don't plan to try now. It's less a case of keeping the interest and more a case of seeing what trouble we can get into today. :D

yes I said titilating

Beevis_small.jpg

You said titillating.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones