• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root The I borked my SF support group thread

saps

Extreme Android User
Sep 12, 2010
WA
Im not mocking anyone specific here or trying to make light of anyone's situation if they are presently borked. I can empathize with the plight as I did the whole soft brick thing going from voodoo v.1 to v.2 myself. But here's the pattern we all seem to follow:

1]Get SF:cool:
2]Excited to have it as stock:)
3]Realize the hacker/tweaker inside us knows theres more performance/customization to be had;):D
4]Root and hack away:cool:
5]Improvement /Enhancements work - Happy Camper:D:D
6]Something new comes out but requires a theoretically simple but in reality slightly complex process [voodoo disabling, ROM, bootanimation changes, etc.]:)
7]Something goes wrong - Boom; borked it somehow:eek::eek:
8]Frantic postings here and at xda:thinking::thinking:
*8a]PMing known perceived experts - been the sender and receiver on this one:rolleyes:
9]Odin restore et al:(
*9a]Odin process does not work repeat steps 8 and 8a:eek::(:thinking:
10]Finally success, phone back to stock and operation:):eek:
11]Declaration that Im just going to leave well enough alone and ride stock.... for the moment:mad:
12]repeat process from step 3:);):rolleyes::D:p:mad::eek::(:cool::thinking:

We all do it; we all want more. I do acknowledge that some people can just root and leave it at that. But anyone who put on voodoo even once or flashed an OC kernel ever is in this above repeating cycle. Its like Lays potato chips no one can do it just once. Seriously no one reading this flashed just one Kernel. You're either at zero or likely 5+ [Im at 20+ if you count re-flashing the same kernel again after trying a different one and going make to a previous one]

Its a bothersome time for sure to be borked but somehow almost every once of us makes it out there OK and actually wiser and more knowledgeable of our SF's.

So here's our thread. I considered putting this in either the Support sub-forum or the main one put I think it fits here best [Frisco or D13 can and will move if necessary].

So Hi Im saps and Im a smartphone hacking addict :D

So maybe this should be more of a conceptual advice thread than an actual how to for individually specific problems. Its probably still best if you have a problem to create your own thread and get specific answers to specific issues so you dont get lost in the mix.
We'll see how this evolves. Maybe I've pissed someone off and that wasnt my intent. We have to be able to smile at ourselves after the fact and live and learn

Upvote 0
I concur, especially with the borking the 0.1 => 0.2 voodoo transition. Sigh..:(

My advice, to anyone, is to know what you're doing beforehand. Think of a "if I do this, and something happens... I can do this to get out of it!"

Also, please find help, whether it be in the forums or the irc@freenode #samsung-fascinate

Upvote 0
i must admit ... I go through this whole process at least once a day minus steps 8 and 8a ... I just search for info first. Every day I see something shiny I have to do to my phone ... Needless to say I bork the crap out of it.

I love it!
Man did we draw you out of hiding Mr. I post one per season ;)
Welcome to the Family of borkers :D

Upvote 0
Well I guess I'm apart of this too, thankfully I'm back to normal now. All I know is that I won't install voodoo ever again, i didn't notice a difference when it was installed, and it took me 3 hours to get rid of. I made a personal vow to never root a phone again after this fiasco. Force Close hell is hell indeed. To be honest I don't even know how I was able to fix everything I just kept flashing stuff in odin, and everything came back to normal.

Upvote 0
haha great thread saps! I joined this group within the first 6 hours of ownership. The sf and galaxy s phones in general seem to be a whole different beast when it comes to potential screw ups.

I will say that because its inevitable that the vast majority of sf users will semi-brick thats its almost better to have it happen early, learn from your mistake and be prepared for whatever happens in the future.

With my dx I had no (serious) problems for a month with 2.1 oc, root, 2,2 leak, themes etc. I never bothered to get teh sbf file and learn anything on my own, so of course the first time I boot-looped I freaked and then had to figure it out and was horrified Id loose all data and stuff.

When I bricked here it was a frustrating few hours, but im glad i got it over with as I was forced to quickly learn odin and voodoo better.

I'm sure Ill screw up again when froyo and more comes out but I'm more confident it now

Upvote 0
Well I guess I'm apart of this too, thankfully I'm back to normal now. All I know is that I won't install voodoo ever again, i didn't notice a difference when it was installed, and it took me 3 hours to get rid of. I made a personal vow to never root a phone again after this fiasco. Force Close hell is hell indeed. To be honest I don't even know how I was able to fix everything I just kept flashing stuff in odin, and everything came back to normal.
Thanks for sharing tony, good stuff. Yeah, you're definitely on step 11 :p. But seriously, you're not the only one with the I don't even know how I was able to fix it story. If nothing else you're wiser now

Upvote 0
haha great thread saps! I joined this group within the first 6 hours of ownership. The sf and galaxy s phones in general seem to be a whole different beast when it comes to potential screw ups.

I will say that because its inevitable that the vast majority of sf users will semi-brick thats its almost better to have it happen early, learn from your mistake and be prepared for whatever happens in the future.

With my dx I had no (serious) problems for a month with 2.1 oc, root, 2,2 leak, themes etc. I never bothered to get teh sbf file and learn anything on my own, so of course the first time I boot-looped I freaked and then had to figure it out and was horrified Id loose all data and stuff.

When I bricked here it was a frustrating few hours, but im glad i got it over with as I was forced to quickly learn odin and voodoo better.

I'm sure Ill screw up again when froyo and more comes out but I'm more confident it now
I remember that night ;)
Man I concur with every sentence you have here. No doubt there will be Froyo growing pains. But you're right that we totally are better off learning the hard way

Upvote 0
I am officially a member of this club too - I don't know exactly how I got there but it involved removing Voodoo. I got a new phone out of it and swore I would not do anything to it, but by the same night it was rooted and de-Binged and the next day I flashed a kernel..... staying away from Voodoo this time though!

Upvote 0
I am officially a member of this club too - I don't know exactly how I got there but it involved removing Voodoo. I got a new phone out of it and swore I would not do anything to it, but by the same night it was rooted and de-Binged and the next day I flashed a kernel..... staying away from Voodoo this time though!
Oh yeah spoken like a true club member ;):p:D

Upvote 0

oh you'll be back at some point on voodoo :D j/k

yeah after a fright like the ones here, sometimes its best to take a step back and catch your breath. We all learn from our mistakes and if you need help in the future theres a lot of it here.

Upvote 0
Whatever you do, DO NOT try to restore everything to stock with Odin and go back to a merry factory way without undoing the LAG FIX!!! ARGG!!! Strange and unimaginable things happened to my phone when I did this. I thought I was going crazy and should visit a psychiatrist or something.

It's all good now. Once you get this phone going, it really really rocks. Only taken me a lot more trial and error than I'd like to admit, but here I am. Finally with my dream phone.

I hear so many saying "Oh I can't WAIT for 2.2."

To those of you I say, why wait? The community here is so excellent and persistent. We are making these phones the way we want them to be RIGHT NOW, with or without bloody 2.2!!!!!

Reactions: nitsuj17
Upvote 0
Whatever you do, DO NOT try to restore everything to stock with Odin and go back to a merry factory way without undoing the LAG FIX!!! ARGG!!! Strange and unimaginable things happened to my phone when I did this. I thought I was going crazy and should visit a psychiatrist or something.

It's all good now. Once you get this phone going, it really really rocks. Only taken me a lot more trial and error than I'd like to admit, but here I am. Finally with my dream phone.

I hear so many saying "Oh I can't WAIT for 2.2."

To those of you I say, why wait? The community here is so excellent and persistent. We are making these phones the way we want them to be RIGHT NOW, with or without bloody 2.2!!!!!
Spoken like a true Charter member of this Club :D
Yeah most of us learned the hard way thru error and trial.

Upvote 0
Spoken like a true Charter member of this Club :D
Yeah most of us learned the hard way thru error and trial.

Good grief, mr. 2k+ posts in like a week! (slight exaggeration perhaps ...) Do you have a life outside of android? Or just a way too cushy job!? :D

I hear you on the trial and error. Man, my sister's fascinate had me sweating bullets for a while ...

Upvote 0
Good grief, mr. 2k+ posts in like a week! (slight exaggeration perhaps ...) Do you have a life outside of android? Or just a way too cushy job!? :D

I hear you on the trial and error. Man, my sister's fascinate had me sweating bullets for a while ...

your sister let you tinker with her phone? :eek:

my wife never let me touch her og droid (which is good because I had no knowledge of android but i heard you could do "stuff" to them), but now since shes using "my" incredible I can still flash roms, kernels, themes.

I did root and tinker with my boss's droid eris. She was always complaining about it locking up and being ridiculously slow, so I unrevoked it, removed bloatware, installed cwr, and autokiller to help her with force closes.

There was some anxious times like when she would ask for it back to make a call and i was like "ugh, give me a few minutes" as i was staring at unresponsive screen. but shes grateful i got the phone to work a little better at least. I wanted to put kaosfroyo and overclock it to 700 mhz to make it run even better but maybe ill do that at some point in the future when we theres not much going on around christmas :cool:

Upvote 0
your sister let you tinker with her phone? :eek:

my wife never let me touch her og droid (which is good because I had no knowledge of android but i heard you could do "stuff" to them), but now since shes using "my" incredible I can still flash roms, kernels, themes.

I did root and tinker with my boss's droid eris. She was always complaining about it locking up and being ridiculously slow, so I unrevoked it, removed bloatware, installed cwr, and autokiller to help her with force closes.

There was some anxious times like when she would ask for it back to make a call and i was like "ugh, give me a few minutes" as i was staring at unresponsive screen. but shes grateful i got the phone to work a little better at least. I wanted to put kaosfroyo and overclock it to 700 mhz to make it run even better but maybe ill do that at some point in the future when we theres not much going on around christmas :cool:

Oh, the Eris. I have brand new sealed one I got as a replacement under warranty (my 4th Eris - I could always reproduce the dialer errors so they kept replacing it for me. What a piece of CRAP.) I was going to sell it, but now that I know how to root and tweak things I'm considering keeping it as a backup in case my Fascinate falls off a cliff or something. I have phone insurance, but $50 is still $50 ....

Upvote 0
Oh, the Eris. I have brand new sealed one I got as a replacement under warranty (my 4th Eris - I could always reproduce the dialer errors so they kept replacing it for me. What a piece of CRAP.) I was going to sell it, but now that I know how to root and tweak things I'm considering keeping it as a backup in case my Fascinate falls off a cliff or something. I have phone insurance, but $50 is still $50 ....

good call. its funny that the eris has froyo and we dont though :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones