• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Long Awaited AT&T Froyo Update Fallout

Mine was running great beforehand as well. GPS worked great and no random shutdowns, not too much lag. It was rooted, and had applied the one click lag fix a while back, but had long since removed it. I backed up everything first with titanium, and went ahead with the update yesterday. Upon first reboot everything started force closing, and was never actually able to get into the phone. Ended up having to boot into recovery and wipe user data (as I found suggested in another post I think). Now i'm back to setting everything up again and reinstalling apps and restoring from backup. Which is fine by me because it is forcing me to 'clean house' and not reinstall half of the crap that I never used anyways. Internal SD card was left intact. GPS has been just as good as before (used it last night and this morning for my hour long commute to work just as a test), and I like that little bit of extra polished feeling that Froyo brings. Very snappy too. Just wanted to throw in the warning about having to wipe user data so if you go ahead with the upgrade, you make sure to have a backup beforehand.

Upvote 0
cool nice to mett you all f you guys after so many negative comments
is a refreshing start when people who has been happy with the phone talk about it
have a wonderful weekend and enjoy your captivate.

one more im sure you guys maybe already try it but if you gys have a chance
try the laucher pro app i like it alot have 7 screens is cool heheh

Upvote 0
GPS seems better for me, it locks faster.

I like the fact we can shut mobile data on and off, I like the newly designed Music Player layout, and I like the fact that there is little lag. Also, Flash. Need I say more?

I don't like the fact that the Swype Keyboard doesn't work the same in the web browser, rather than double tap a word to change it, I now have to tap the word, then hit the swype key to change it, That really slows things down. I also don't like how you have to slide the screen farther to unlock it, that's hard to do when I only have one thumb to do it with.

Upvote 0
never used GPS, so that was never a big thing for me. lag was the biggest problem I had.

that said, the lag does seem a bit better, but not by much. in certain situations where it'd just seize up though (such as when installing an app), it seems to do much better now with maintaining responsiveness.

I might try and install a custom rom eventually if they'll reduce the lag even further, but for now, it's really not that bad. just not as good as I had hoped, haha.

Upvote 0
GPS is better for me. Overall it seems a little more responsive but honestly stuff like improved copy/paste are more important to me. Regarding the Captivates, I have a feeling some Captivates (including mine) may have marginal internal SD storage quality. This seems to be to me what bogs down my divide, either the filesystem it uses, the quality of the chips, or some intermittent disconnection between the circuits. That is my gut feeling. It doesn't seem consistent, seems erratic on occasion caused by who knows what, maybe even humidity or atmospheric pressure, maybe ghosts and gremlins. My feeling is it is a problem with a significant number of devices, but since they work most of the time a lot of us tolerate them. I think if it were just software then my device would be more stable after the update, but it really seems about the same, with even a crashed app that forced me to reboot the phone (Little Camera, a great great great free camera replacement. Too bad, but happened after using it for a while.)

Upvote 0
I saw in the XDA forums that someone said that after you upgrade to the official 2.2 it now insists that you purchase a tethering plan if you want to use it as a hot spot.

I don't use it that much, but I do have mine rooted so I can use the Wireless Tether app. When I reinstall the app is it going to give me problems. Also can non-market apps be installed with the official 2.2?

Please note that original I had the 2GB tethering plan, but found out that AT&T did not support hot spot tethering officially, so I took it off.

Also do I need to unroot to perform this update?

Undecided
Rooted 1st day release

Upvote 0
even with 2.1 i have very little lag and now with 2.2 is gone.
so after seen all this people having lag i wonder how much of that lag
is because an app they have? some people go crazy in installing apps.
and they love to blame on the phone

That's what I've been saying for months. Android is an OS and has a lot of similarities as Windows. You can install crappy programs that use a lot of memory or CPU time. You are much more in control of how Android works than you are with a BB or iPhone. Operator error is much more likely to happen than with those two as well.

Upvote 0
GPS seems better for me, it locks faster.

I like the fact we can shut mobile data on and off, I like the newly designed Music Player layout, and I like the fact that there is little lag. Also, Flash. Need I say more?

when ist downloaded 2.2 found screen to "shut off data" a feature I love---no more overages. know how to switch off GPS but cannot find "data switch.
Any help
thanks

Upvote 0
I am unrooted. stock and did 2.2 upgrade. My 2.1 ran good before. I am not backed up, because i dont feel like rooting. If i loose my shit no big deal.
When i got my OTA firmware upgrade in november (2.1.1 I think) i had to do a factory reset as it did not work well either. but then the upgrade went good the second time. After that the phone worked great. GPS was good no lock ups, good battery life, etc..

I had alot of issues. I tried my windows 7 32 bit and could not get it to see phone, note this is a windows upgrade from XP, it has been a problem on other software. I then tried my new Windows 7 64 bit and it installed better, except i made a mistake while turning volume up and down and accidentally turned phone on trying to put cable in. But I went ahead and succesfully upgraded to 2.2.
I am not happy with it. It is locking up, battery is shitty, bloatware keeps running and browser has a mind of its own, it is in general acting wierd. Could I have a bad upgrade? should I go back to 2.1.
I feel i should do a "factory reset" and try again again. Rubicon mentions a "hard reset" is that same as a factory reset? I know i will loose my shit but does not bother me to much.
Any advice?

Upvote 0
I am unrooted. stock and did 2.2 upgrade. My 2.1 ran good before. I am not backed up, because i dont feel like rooting. If i loose my shit no big deal.
When i got my OTA firmware upgrade in november (2.1.1 I think) i had to do a factory reset as it did not work well either. but then the upgrade went good the second time. After that the phone worked great. GPS was good no lock ups, good battery life, etc..

I had alot of issues. I tried my windows 7 32 bit and could not get it to see phone, note this is a windows upgrade from XP, it has been a problem on other software. I then tried my new Windows 7 64 bit and it installed better, except i made a mistake while turning volume up and down and accidentally turned phone on trying to put cable in. But I went ahead and succesfully upgraded to 2.2.
I am not happy with it. It is locking up, battery is shitty, bloatware keeps running and browser has a mind of its own, it is in general acting wierd. Could I have a bad upgrade? should I go back to 2.1.
I feel i should do a "factory reset" and try again again. Rubicon mentions a "hard reset" is that same as a factory reset? I know i will loose my shit but does not bother me to much.
Any advice?

My advice is to look at what you have installed and running, then figure out how to make things work better for you. There are answers in this forum everywhere for common problems like this.

The Android is an operating system much like Linux and Windoze. Apps use memory and CPU time. Garbage apps can kill your resources but so can basic options if you don't know how to manage your power usage.

Upvote 0
Any advice?
Yes that is the same. It will do a factory format. You will lose all the apps and settings, but contacts (if saved to Google cloud) and photos are safe.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones