• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Long Awaited AT&T Froyo Update Fallout

I feel i should do a "factory reset" and try again again. Rubicon mentions a "hard reset" is that same as a factory reset? I know i will loose my shit but does not bother me to much.
Any advice?

With your easygoing feel of no big deal on losing your stuff...I'd just do the hard reset and see how it goes as you add stuff back one by one

Upvote 0
thanks guys for the quick response. Rubicon I did your hard reset. I lost everything, but it took it back to 2.2
It seems better. would a factory reset under > Privacy > Factory Reset. will this type of reset take the phone back to 2.1?
reason i ask is maybe i start over from 2.1 and go straight to 2.2 or if i don't like Froyo could stay at 2.1.1 (eclair) a while.
either way I am going to see what this hard rest did and if i like it.
Thanks again.

Upvote 0
So, you've downloaded, installed and are running the official 2.2 Froyo Update for your Captivate. What do you LIKE or DISLIKE about this long awaited and much anticipated update? Does your GPS lock on now/quicker? Is your phone faster with minimal lag or no lag at all?

Please, feel free to share your thoughts with the forum....

After my first boot with 2.2- I took a quick look around- and started singing(in my best Peggy Lee voice) "Is that all there is- Is that all there is?"

There were a couple of menu changes in settings, and I found the App Control- but basically no difference I could see. It didn't FEEL any faster. In the office I fired up GPS- reading that others could get a lock indoors. Nuthin. I fired up GPS to go home- and it locked a little quicker, and mor importantly was accurate on the way home.

Now the Killer- Battery life. I know that some will not believe me- but I was getting 5 days running on a charge(powering off for 8 hrs at night every night though). Since I charged Thursday night- I am lucky to get through today- now I am down to 2 days- and I am NOT a heavy user.

Chris

Upvote 0
New to this group. Need some help with my adb & driver interface on Win7x64. Running unrooted Captivate w/new upgrade to 2.2; all went well. Now get msg "device unrecognized" when I plug in to usb, even to charge up. Downloaded newest drivers (I think) thru SDK, still not recognizing phone. Any ideas? Thanks.:thinking:

EDIT - Decided to try a hard reboot. W7 immediately recognized phone, auto downloaded drivers, now works fine. Odd.

Upvote 0
Recently upgraded to 2.2 with a few glitches in the process, but made it. Can't tell a whole lot of difference, maybe a little more lagging now. Enjoying the flash and better apps, but today I looked at my phone and had disconnected from my wifi.. got to looking and all my desktops icons were gone, just wallpaper. All screens blank from icons. Rebooted the phone and all seems well, but scary. The main problem I had while upgrading to 2.2 is my XP Pro could not install the correct Samsung driver, so after updating it manually all went well.

Upvote 0
Stock 2.1, not rooted before update.
now stock 2.2, not rooted post update.

I'm very happy to be able to turn off the data, now when I play Angry birds I don't have to look at the annoying ads.

Also love the Flash, finally can go to some sites that require Flash

But my GPS was messed up and had to download GPSrestore and seem to have fixed it

Also have more lag than before

my biggest complain is the battery life, see the thread below:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-captivate/287789-hows-your-battery-life-after-froyo-update.html

Upvote 0
Here's my question before I do this update. Like the OP, I think I got pretty lucky with my phone out of the box. Hardly have any issues, and the phone never just shuts down,which I was terrified of after reading reviews. I installed a 2.2 customer ROM about 2 months ago, and when I did that, I lost the Android keyboard. I love that keyboard. I hate the Samsung keyboard. There were also some other minor issues, so I just went back to stock 2.1. I'm still pretty happy with 2.1. The only reason I want to update, is for Skype. Can anyone confirm for me that the android keyboard will remain present after this update??

Upvote 0
Here's my question before I do this update. Like the OP, I think I got pretty lucky with my phone out of the box. Hardly have any issues, and the phone never just shuts down,which I was terrified of after reading reviews. I installed a 2.2 customer ROM about 2 months ago, and when I did that, I lost the Android keyboard. I love that keyboard. I hate the Samsung keyboard. There were also some other minor issues, so I just went back to stock 2.1. I'm still pretty happy with 2.1. The only reason I want to update, is for Skype. Can anyone confirm for me that the android keyboard will remain present after this update??

The upgrades don't have anything to do with the keyboards. Mine is still there.

Upvote 0
Stock 2.1, not rooted before update.
now stock 2.2, not rooted post update.

I'm very happy to be able to turn off the data, now when I play Angry birds I don't have to look at the annoying ads.

Also love the Flash, finally can go to some sites that require Flash

But my GPS was messed up and had to download GPSrestore and seem to have fixed it

Also have more lag than before

my biggest complain is the battery life, see the thread below:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-captivate/287789-hows-your-battery-life-after-froyo-update.html

I didn't have any major issues before the update with saving battery power. It should be understood that you control the larger part of what your battery is used for. It could be display brightness, searching for 3G, Wireless, GPS or some shoddy applications that drain your battery.

I've been up 4 hours. I've used 2% while idle. I have wifi on and haven't used my phone otherwise. My battery status icon appears to be a lot more accurate since the upgrade.

A few ways to save power:
  • My display is down, way down and it stays down unless I open messaging then it gets brighter (A Tasker task)
  • 3G is off while at home where I use Wifi.
  • GPS is almost always off, no need for it just yet.
  • My timeout is 30 seconds unless I'm connected to my car stereo (tasker profile)
  • I turn on autosync once an hour for 5 minutes then it turns back off (Tasker profile)
  • I turned off vibration unless I'm typing.
  • I don't have widgets such as weather things running constantly.
  • I use Android Assistant to keep things from running on startup.
  • I use Go Launcher as a GUI and use its built in task manager to kill apps that start up.
Android is an OS almost like Linux and Windoze. You can control memory usage and how much CPU time is being used. Everything isn't going to be the fault of the phone. Hating on AT&T and/or Samsung isn't going to make your phone work.

Upvote 0
I would do it for sure.. Does the AT&T Froyo fix the random shutdown issue? I have Cognition and am really happy with it so far but the random shutdowns still occur and the GPS still isn't great (better than it was though).

Didn't fix it for me. I've had the random shut down problem for months. My Cappy was purchased on release day an started having the shut downs a couple of months after that. I kept waiting for Froyo hoping that would fix it (though I didn't think it would). Installed Froyo and still had the problem. So I called ATT, they verified a few things, and sent me to the store for an exchange. Did the exchange last night...easy, peasey...in and out, no questions asked...It's a known problem so they swapped it out...

What I don't understand is they said the new phone they gave me (a refurb probably) maintains the same warranty date as the original phone...why wouldn't I get another year since it's a different phone???

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones