• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The official "I have my Droid 2" thread

I left At&t today, and it was either the droid x, or this, and since I have big hands... lol.., I picked this because of the keyboard, I came from a captivate, which I know am convinced are riddled with problems, and in my first 3-4 hours of setting up and playing with my droid 2, I don't notice anything bad.

I know some people said they notice lag, and if there is any, well it doesnt bother me...
Just setup pda net right before the battery died, will come back and let u guys know if its good...

I tried PDA Net, but it kept asking me to install another software drive to my laptop first - got aggravated and gave up.

Upvote 0
I tried PDA Net, but it kept asking me to install another software drive to my laptop first - got aggravated and gave up.

You have to install the pdanet program on your computer first. Just like tether for BB, the computer has to do it's part in the process. I downloaded it from their site (PdaNet -- USB Tether/Bluetooth DUN for Android) onto the computer prior, but if you dont, your phone will prompt you and do it for you. In fact, the phone asked me if I needed to install the program onto the computer or if it was already done.

I installed it to a win7 laptop and a win xp netbook last night. Everything was easy and works great. Connections were fast. I used the usb cable, but bluetooth dun is supported, as well.

This was a primary goal of mine. If root is ever achieved on this phone, wifi tether would be my prime motivation. The usb connection is a small price to pay for internet anywhere with my netbook.

I may try Verizon's rip off hotspot service, but I am trying to avoid giving them any more money.

Reactions: DROIDing
Upvote 0
You have to install the pdanet program on your computer first. Just like tether for BB, the computer has to do it's part in the process. I downloaded it from their site (PdaNet -- USB Tether/Bluetooth DUN for Android) onto the computer prior, but if you dont, your phone will prompt you and do it for you. In fact, the phone asked me if I needed to install the program onto the computer or if it was already done.

I installed it to a win7 laptop and a win xp netbook last night. Everything was easy and works great. Connections were fast. I used the usb cable, but bluetooth dun is supported, as well.

This was a primary goal of mine. If root is ever achieved on this phone, wifi tether would be my prime motivation. The usb connection is a small price to pay for internet anywhere with my netbook.

I may try Verizon's rip off hotspot service, but I am trying to avoid giving them any more money.

I used to have DSL, just pained me every month to pay for it. I just canm't wait for 4G. Thanks for your help! :)

Upvote 0
was watrching promo video at verizon.com on my droid 2 and it clearly says it has an FM radio i have yet to find it ,so where is it lol ? You seem alot smarter than me so I thought I would ask .... Thanks
I am also an Eris owner--one that has struggled with numerous problems since the 2.1 update. I'm on my 3rd Eris and when I called yesterday about ongoing problems they agreed to send me a Droid 2. It will be awesome to have a phone that actually rings when someone calls. :D It arrives Wednesday........YAY!

Upvote 0
Also getting a D2 as a replacement for a D1 (after many bad D1 refurbs!).

Looking forward to the additional memory, especially being able to store files on the 8GB internal memory so they can be PW protected by the Droid.

Won't be really happy until CyanogenMod is available on it, but very happy to have a longer-lived bridge to my next phone, whatever that will be.

Upvote 0
Also getting a D2 as a replacement for a D1 (after many bad D1 refurbs!).

Looking forward to the additional memory, especially being able to store files on the 8GB internal memory so they can be PW protected by the Droid.

Won't be really happy until CyanogenMod is available on it, but very happy to have a longer-lived bridge to my next phone, whatever that will be.

What is that mod?

Upvote 0
What is that mod?

It's the name of a custom ROM (my favorite custom ROM) that I've been using on my D1...CyanogenMod (or CM) is a group of developers led by a guy who goes by screen name Cyanogen, who create ROMs from ASOP (Android source code released by Google) for various Android phones...

No developer is supporting the DX or D2 yet...so no CM ROM released for those phones yet.

Really hoping that D2 support comes to CM...

Reactions: DROIDing
Upvote 0
Woot! I just got my Droid 2 today, rooted it, and despite what everyone else says, I am loving it!!!!

I don't get it. There is very little to dislike about this phone. Particularly with wireless tether after root. I am loving mine.

I am still within a few days of my 30, and I went to my verizon store to once again, try out all the phones (including the fascinate), and see if I might want to trade. When I left, I was happy to be leaving with my D2.

It just works well for me.

Upvote 0
I was pretty shocked how big the Fascinate is...it's as large as the DX overall, though slightly smaller screen (4.3 vs. 4.0).

I played w/Bing search on it - just a disappointment compared to Google - that phone would be a "must root and ROM" phone due to the Bing integration. I'm no MS hater, but Bing just not nearly as good a search engine.

Upvote 0
I don't get it. There is very little to dislike about this phone. Particularly with wireless tether after root. I am loving mine.

I am still within a few days of my 30, and I went to my verizon store to once again, try out all the phones (including the fascinate), and see if I might want to trade. When I left, I was happy to be leaving with my D2.

It just works well for me.

I was talking mainly about blur, and how some say they don't like it. Granted, now that I've had a couple of days to play with it, I've found a couple of bugs, but im sure I'll figure them out. :)

Upvote 0
Just got my Droid 2 yesterday after returning my Samsung Fascinate. I liked the Fascinate a lot, it was a good phone, except it was slow as hell and for some reason I could not send text messages. I also got a crackle when making phone calls and that stupid in and out of service beep drove me nuts. I only had it for 2 days.

So far I am liking the Droid 2. It's by far the biggest Droid I've had, coming from an Eris to a Dinc to a Fascinate. I didn't think I'd like the slide out keyboard but it actually comes in handy. One thing I've noticed, though, is the sliding home screen is either too sensitive or not sensitive enough. Like I'll try to slide left or right and it will open my Weatherbug widget (which is in the center of my homescreen). Or I'll try and slide and it will do nothing. Maybe it's just me and haven't found the right "touch" yet. Also, I should've asked but I didn't where the hell the SD card is. I'm downloading the manual right now to see if it's in there. I want to put my old 16 GB card back in there.

Other than that, not even had it 24 hours so I don't have much else to say. It's a sturdy phone, definitely. Much more so than the Dinc or Eris, although it is heavy. That's another reason I stayed away for so long. I like the slimmer, lighter phones. But again, so far I'm happy.

Upvote 0
Ok, got my Droid 2 straight from a BB Storm. First thing I can say is that I love this phone compared to the BB. This is my first forray into the Droid OS so I need to figure out what I can do and what apps are available. I don't mind the interface as it comes stock but I'm sure I'll be changing it as soon as I figure out how just so I can see what else is available.

If there is already a Droid 2 "required apps" or "how to root your device" thread somewhere (I just joined the forums) I'd love a pointer. I'm going to search right now, but putting a link here for us Droid newbs who found this thread first, I think it would be useful.

Lou

Upvote 0
I have had all the (keyboard) VZW Android devices, with my Droid 2 coming tommorow... I said never again to Motorola and having to eat my words.... I wanted more horsepower than my Ally and Droid, but it had to have a keyboard...

Im sure I will like it cause I didnt hate the Devour and Blur, but just wanted 2.1... Has anyone figured out though how to make the 2 not sync all contacts with Facebook yet??

Upvote 0
Well I have had my D2 for 5 days now. My work phone is a Blackberry Curve II.

When I got my phone I was really excited. 5 days later, I still am. The call quality is much better then my BB by far. The sound levels on my D2 are great. So much so that I have given the kids my IPOD. I have quickly found that there is nothing that I cant do with this phone. Its simply amazing.

I had read a lot of stories about people being upset about battery life. First thing I did was put mine on nighttime saver. So getting about 5 emails and 5 texts and hour, and the regular call here and there, my battery isnt doing to bad. My routine is charging until its full at 9pm. I wake at 6am and go to work. With that in mind, my phone is at 60% charge around noon. So its not to bad at all. I also discovered that it seems like those first few days the phone is learning your daily habit, as the phone is running better now then the day it came in the mail.

I did install apps like the gmail update, launcher pro plus, fancy widgets, barcode scanner, shopsavvy, facebook, Dolphin HD browser, groceryIQ, Handcent SMS, KeepassDroid, Pandora, shazam, TeslaLED, weatherbug & TuneIn Radio.

I have seen a few posts questioning the FM Radio deal. Right now from what I understand you have to root your phone to get the FM Radio to work. I choose not to root, mainly cuz im nervous about it but I started using TuneIn Radio. While I can not use it to get the FM stations at the gym, I can start the app and every AM/FM station that airs here locally shows up in the app. Its pretty awesome.

SO I love my D2 and I am so happy I got it.

Upvote 0
I just got my droid 2 today. After coming from an eris all i have to say is wow. What a difference. Love it.

I thought the phone came with swype though? I dont see it. Whats up with that?

It should already have Swype installed. Go to your text messages as though you are replying, and long press the blank text field. A menu should pop up. Click "Input method", then select "Swype". And that's it! =)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones