• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Skype app is here..

Upvote 0
If you can't use WIFI and Verizon charges your voice minutes to use Skype, what good is this app? They only thing I see useful is that you can make international calls at a reduced rate, but you still use up voice minutes. If you have no overseas contacts, this app is a total waste!

Skype uses the data 3G connection, not your voice minutes. Completely useful application.

Upvote 0
Skype uses the data 3G connection, not your voice minutes. Completely useful application.

If you look at the attachment from the Verizon Website, you'll see that calls to domestic U.S. mobile or landlines numbers placed from Skype Mobile will be charged against your Verizon Wireless Plan Minutes.

That sounds like voice minutes to me! :eek:

Attachments

• Skype.jpg
    Skype.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 66
Upvote 0
cool, now any way to install it without being "rooted" nor having any of those file management apps?

You just download the apk to your sd card. Plug in your phone to a PC. (make sureuknown sources is turned on (Settings---applications---and check Unknown Sources) then download a free app installer from the market and use that to install the app.

Upvote 0
You just download the apk to your sd card. Plug in your phone to a PC. (make sureuknown sources is turned on (Settings---applications---and check Unknown Sources) then download a free app installer from the market and use that to install the app.

thanks, what i did was decompressed the file, re uploaded it and downloaded it from the phone, installed straight from there and is working fine ;)

Upvote 0
If you can't use WIFI and Verizon charges your voice minutes to use Skype, what good is this app? They only thing I see useful is that you can make international calls at a reduced rate, but you still use up voice minutes. If you have no overseas contacts, this app is a total waste!

I wonder if you'll still use up voice minutes on weekends or nights....

Upvote 0
If you look at the attachment from the Verizon Website, you'll see that calls to domestic U.S. mobile or landlines numbers placed from Skype Mobile will be charged against your Verizon Wireless Plan Minutes.

That sounds like voice minutes to me! :eek:

Based on your image, if you are using skype to call another skype user or an international number, no minutes used. If you use skype to call a domestic number, voice minutes are used. Out of curiosity, why on earth would you use skype to call a domestic number that isn't another skype user if you are using a cell phone in the first place? You have to pay skype to call non-skype numbers. You are already paying VZ to call domestic numbers via your plan. Doesn't make sense to me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones