• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The Tablet Tavern

Still never got a liking for tablets, but my Chromebook is still a go to for travel.
Wynd, I can't believe you still haven't made up your mind about that! :p

I know, right? But it's really hard for me to decide due to limited funds. Plus, the recent Chromebooks coming out are all a bit compromised. I like the IPS screens on the HP 11 and Toshiba Chromebook 2, but unfortunately performance is sluggish. I don't mind paying a bit more for a device that would last, though probably not Apple prices.

Upvote 0
So my phone has been ridiculously lagging so i opted to do a factory reset. After that i noticed new things that weren't there before even though i was already on kit kat. Like new icons and such. Strange.
Factory resets are usually a good thing. When using an Android I do one at least every 90 days. Sometimes more often than that.

Upvote 0
So my phone has been ridiculously lagging so i opted to do a factory reset. After that i noticed new things that weren't there before even though i was already on kit kat. Like new icons and such. Strange.

Nah, not really. These are the Samsung apps that would default back to visible if you've hidden them or possibly apps you installed on another device registered to your account. It could be evil spirits, too, but that only happens about 5% of the time. ;) :D

Upvote 0
Still never got a liking for tablets, but my Chromebook is still a go to for travel.
Wynd, I can't believe you still haven't made up your mind about that! :p

I never got into tablets much, I had one for a while, but only mostly used it for watching "movies" in bed. If I really need a larger screen than my phablet, say for getting some work done, e.g. preparing PPTs at my desk, usually I need a real keyboard as well. Which basically means a laptop for me.

Upvote 0
You don't wake up one morning with a laggy android. It's gradual. I never let it get to that point. PM is important any time you're are dealing with electronics, cars, tools, etc...

Never found that with recent Android devices myself, only thing I've had to do occasionally is just reboot them, because they were acting funky. And sometimes apps can misbehave, and often just clearing data for the particular app generally fixes it. An older version of WeChat could become horribly laggy, simply because it's cache became too bloated, but that seems to have been fixed now. I've done factory resets when upgrading firmware however, and is to be expected when going from one ROM to another, e.g. stock to CM.

Upvote 0
Factory data reset is the only way an unrooted device gets to clear the Dalvik cache - something that you want to do on any rom install or update.

After Lollipop, that will be a non-issue.

In the meantime, it's the right thing to do after any OTA.

Backup, factory data reset, restore.

It will cure a number of bugs that can't be cleared any other way.

No surprise that it also lets things appear that ought to have shown all along.

Plus - it clears the OS cache and the backup/restore gets all the apps back but with the caches cleared.

Upvote 0
038ec09567cb1785e6049f88f67c8776.jpg

Rita is the worst cleaner here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones