• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Think Anything Can be Done to Strengthen Vibrate?

Jethro

Nov 10, 2009
Wondering if there are any creative ideas/hacks/apps that can make the vibration on the Eris even a little more noticeable?!? I think it's fair to say this is a VERY weak vibration feature, and a lot of folks have a hard time feeling it vibrate when a call or notification comes in.

I'm assuming it's a hardware thing, but thought maybe there are some creative workarounds.

I really like most everything else about this phone, but I cannot feel it at all when it's set to vibrate, so I'll definitely be missing calls & texts when carrying it around on my belt (or even pocket) as it's usually in vibrate mode then.

Argh. Missed a couple calls and texts today because I couldn't feel the vibrate at all. I actually 'heard' it finally as I was crouched down in a very quite office, but still did not feel it at all. As it is, I don't think I'll ever catch a call or text on vibrate mode. This is a problem!

- Anyone know if the vibrate is a hardware function?

- Could it 'theoretically' be slowed or have the oscillation frequency changed in some way to make it more noticeable?

- Any belt clip cases or holsters that you have found do NOT deaden the vibrate even more? I still need to get a proper case if I keep this, but I currently have a nice clip on faux leather case I'm using on the belt.

Upvote 0
I'm using dgalert classic and made my vibrate a constant 10 seconds...and I still cant feel it in my pocket.

Yikes, that's not good. Is dgAlert just for SMS/MMS messages? Can it (or anything else) customize the ringer vibrate?

I have an app for notifications called 'Missed Reminder' that allows totally customizable vibrate patterns, but I think it's still too soft, and this only works for notifications AFTER the original call/text.

I actually found a crazy bluetooth bracelet that you can wear that vibrates when you get a call, but this is pretty funky. I would be willing to carry around some small device like that in my pocket, though, if it was simple/cheap/compact. Anybody know of anything like this???

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Ok, I've made my decision, sadly, to return the Eris. I can't decide which was more of a deal breaker, the weak vibration or the terrible battery life, but they both drove me crazy. Back to the curve for now. Let's hope in 4-6 months there will be a better option out there. Went and played with the Droid only to confirm why I chose the Eris. HTC almost got it right...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones