• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Thunderbolt or Bionic?

whoppa5975

Lurker
Mar 12, 2011
I am getting my discounted upgrade from verizon soon so I will be able to upgrade my phone but I decided to wait until these came out to upgrade. The hardware in the Droid Bionic looks great, especially the dual core cpu and the fact that its integrated video by nvidia makes it even more promising.

Everything about the Bionic seems to be nicer except that it has Motoblur which I have heard is awful, and I am not into social networking sites at all.

I know I can root my device and get rid of all of those silly Motoblur features but I really cannot decide on which phone to get. I've also heard that sense allows more open development so it is easier to customize / root. What do you guys think is going to be better?

Also, I have heard that by using up your internal memory it can significantly slow your phone down as opposed to storing it all on a micro sd card. I was planning on putting about 32gb of music on my micro sd card and using the 16 internal for apps and the works. Would this slow down my phone to a point where having 16 internal is somewhat useless?

thank you.

Not sure why this is even that hard of a thing to decide.

A dual core vs a single core is not a competition. Not to mention an integrated Tegra 2 GPU.

yea but i heard that 2.2 only takes advantage of 1 core so until honeycomb is released the second core is useless. I've never owned an android before, if i have 2.2 and they release honeycomb like 6 months after i buy the bionic can i update my os for free?

thanks

p.s. does filling up all 16gb of internal storage significantly slow down your phone?

thanks

Upvote 0
You'd probably have a really hard time filling up your internal storage. Things like music, movies, videos and pictures are stored on the external card. The internal card is reserved for apps and games. My DX has 8 gigs of internal memory. I currently have 196 apps on my phone and still have almost 6 gigs of internal storage left...
CAP201103140242.jpg

... so with double the internal storage, you'd have to have well over 1000 apps on it to fill it up! lol

Upvote 0
I get to upgrade sometime in october, do you think these will still be recent or will there be something else by then? I keep hearing about an HTC Scorpion..
Scorpion is the modified processor core that is designed by Qualcomm and mostly used by HTC. Its 1st generation was already present in HTC Desire.
Thunderbold has the second generation Scorpion core.

What you probably should expect is the 3rd generation Scorpion dual-cores. These are to be introduced first in HTC EVO 3D and HTC Pyramid.

Any phone nowadays has about 6 month life, after which it is succeeded by better models. Depending on manufacturer, phones may get longer support and updates (HTC is probably the best here).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones