• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tiered Data coming soon...

the fact is, this is going to save 90% of the users money. and it will force the 10% that are bogging down the network to cut back on their wireless tethering to watch hulu and play MW2 on their xbox.
the fact is, wireless providers dont have the bandwidth resources that DSL and cable ISPs have, so something has to be done, especially with 12Mbps wireless connections on the horizon. once LTE is here, if plans were unlimited (for as cheap as they are now), everyone would just tether, and it would totally clog up the network, and eat away a gigantic piece of the profit verizon makes on data.

but like i said before, tiered data plans are going to save the average user a lot of money over the course of their contract, because the average user is paying for far more than they're using. i stream slacker every day, for over an hour a day, and i rarely go over 2GB.

Upvote 0
Rooting as NOTHING to do with data use.

True, the actual act of rooting does not use data. But for many of those who root, the reason for rooting uses more data. Like using their phone for tethering to a PC without paying, or using thier phone as a router for up to 5 devices without paying.

I know everyone who roots their phone does not do this, but the ones who do just add to the problem that is causing Verizon and the other carriers to gravitate towards tiered data.

Be truthful, most everyone could see this coming...

Upvote 0
True, the actual act of rooting does not use data. But for many of those who root, the reason for rooting uses more data. Like using their phone for tethering to a PC without paying, or using thier phone as a router for up to 5 devices without paying.

I know everyone who roots their phone does not do this, but the ones who do just add to the problem that is causing Verizon and the other carriers to gravitate towards tiered data.

Be truthful, most everyone could see this coming...

you can tether without root too. there are more downloads for PDANet than there are for wifi tether and barnacle combined. iPhone users had to jailbreak to tether, but android users didnt.

but yes, we all saw this coming. and, imho, those that dont think it's realistic arent grounded here in the real world. the market is drastically changing. we cant expect verizon to stay with the status quo. unlimited plans just wont work going forward.

the same thing happened with mobile broadband. it used to be $60/mo for unlimited, and now it's 5GB. Why? because people were simply using it far too much, and the network wouldnt have been able to support the load had they not modified the policy. capping data plans will benefit us all by not eventually doing to our network what the iPhone did to ATT's. it will help maintain speeds, and for most people, costs will go down.

Upvote 0
People seem to think that they sign up for a 2 year contract, but the terms of that contract should last for generations, and never change.

except for the part that says they need to wait 20 months until they get another phone at a subsidized rate. they'd kick and scream if verizon didnt hold up their end, but this place is full of people who think they should still be able to get a new phone at a subsidized price every time something cool comes out, so they call CS, threaten bad surveys, threaten to leave, etc, etc. it's laughable, really.

Upvote 0
No, sorry. This is BS any way you slice it and to defend their move in this direction is even more BS. I get unlimited internet at home. I also work in IT, so yes, I know how finite a resource bandwidth *can* be. However, with network upgrades comes increased capacity. The capacity to handle what you, as a company, promised would be available. Now you're going back on your promise (and even perhaps the responsibility of having to spend money to further upgrade your network) by telling the customer, "Oh...too bad. This is how it is now."

No, sorry, this is BS plain and simple. Unfortunately, whats an even bigger load of BS...is the fact that as people who use this service have absolutely no control over Verizon (or any other companies) decision to do this. Sadly, they (all of them) can and do get away with bloody murder and yet people still support them.
Upgrading wireless networks isn't quite as simple as you make it out to be and upgrading any network infrastructure has a cost, in some cases an extremely high cost. You make it sound like you simply wave a magic wand and additional network capability appears. That is not how it works and is rather unrealistic. RF is not like copper or fiber where you can just add more, in fact trying to plan for greater bandwidth and use for handheld devices like smartphones is already negatively impacting other existing RF users and services. Greater network capability equates to increasingly higher initial costs. At the same time, you have some 'power' users using increasingly higher amounts of data while may others use relatively small amounts, yet all pay the same.

So I don't think that anyone should be surprised by there having to be changes or some form of tiered pricing. There may still be some form of 'unlimited' data, but with a higher cost to better represent the related cost. And for many, perhaps some lower cost options that serve their needs without charging them as though they were also using the higher amounts of data.

I've always wondered but how do those of you that expect everything for free or for what you think you should pay support yourselves? Or does that view only apply to you and not to your clients or customers?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones