• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Titantic II 2016

I thought this was going to be about a movie sequel...I was going to be like "wut."

Then again...I said the same thing about the original movie. I was like "lolwut we all know how it ends."

Anyway, I digress.

Personally? I get motion sickness...so no sailing for me. On top of suffering from paranoia, I do not feel that I would ride on it...

Upvote 0
I'm gonna build a replica of the Hindenburg....anyone up for it?:)

As long as it complies with all current airworthiness requirements for that class of aircraft, you should be OK.
http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/air_cert/design_approvals/airships/airships_regs/

A very famous album cover...
Led_Zeppelin_-_Led_Zeppelin_%281969%29_front_cover.png

Apparently Led Zep got their name from some criticism they had at the start, "This group is going to go down like a lead balloon.".

Upvote 0
Sorry can't use hydrogen in your Hindenberg II, FAA Rules.

"Transport Airship Requirements:
TAR 893 Lifting Gas
The lifting gas must be non-flammable, non-toxic and non-irritant."

FAA Rules would preclude you from trying fill your airship with carbon monoxide or ammonia as well.

If there's no helium, you will have to find another lifting gas. Xenon would be a bad idea, because you really would have a lead balloon. There's a science experiment, what happens if you fill a balloon with xenon? It does drop like a brick.

Upvote 0
lmao so who's gonna be on the Titantic II when it sets sail in 2016??? :D:D
If you guys didn't know yet, some Australian Billionaire announced today that he's gonna build an exact replica of the first Titanic but making it more safer.

Like the unsinkable original version? Sorry, but it is too much money for a reproduction of an ill-fated first that sunk. Too many warning signs and history does repeat its'self.

Upvote 0
I'll buy a ticket. Bob loves dirigibles, blimps and Sopwith Camels. Fountain pens, boat anchors (it is a radio thing) and the Roaring Twenties.

A man after my own heart Bob. :) I especially love old radios, and I was a radio ham.

However I do truly detest those tacky phoney cheapo replica ones.

Specifically referring to this kind of monstrosity....

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/733695224/RETRO_STYLE_Radio_with_USB_and.html

RETRO STYLE Radio with USB and encoding / Cassette / CD / MP3 Player by Yangjiang Municipal Yuyou Household Appliances Manufacturing Co., Ltd. of Shenzhen, China. :rolleyes:

Here's another one....

http://yyphonograph.en.alibaba.com/productshowimg/375596656-210408299/CD_player.html

WHY???

:banghead::mad:

It's like a Made in China "Titanic II" of radiograms and tubed radios. The worse ones were those stupid steampunk looking things. Supposed to be Victorian 19th century, yet always made from cheap plastic, and usually have USB and SD slots, MP3, LCD screens, etc. But I do like steampunk type movies though, like Time Machine, 20,000 Leagues, Master of the World, Wild Wild West.

Upvote 0
Shame about the helium shortage. Ironically, the Hindenburg was actually designed to use helium and only switched to hydrogen when the US (the world's only producer of helium at the time) placed an embargo on Nazi Germany.

The big blimps like the Hindenburg were pretty awesome: basically a mini-luxury liner that flew, complete with lounge (complete with aluminium grand piano), dining room, writing room, promenades and (unbelievably, given it was filled with hydrogen) a smoking room with bar. The smoking room / bar was, unsurprisingly, the most popular room on the ship.

Upvote 0
Smh.

The size of the ship isn't important, believe it or not. Yes there are many many ships bigger than the Titanic, but did it actually occur to anyone that maybe this billionaire dude might want to build a replica for historic value sake?

The SS Great Britain has a lot more history than the Titanic, granted, but it's still a major attraction of Bristol in its dry dock.

Surely the fact that so few (in relative terms) got to experience the titanic at all, would make this venture more curious to many, finally people with the wish to, would be able to see such a legendary vessel, regardless of its size, as long as it's historically accurate.

Whatever the reasons for the replica, how it compares to vessels of today is irrelevant, giving generations a chance to experience and learn from it, is, imo, much more valuable.

Upvote 0
I'd be down for it, but we much prefer small cruises. Loved our honeymoon trip on a Seabourn cruise. Only about 250 guests and a nearly 1:1 with staff. They really take care of you (oh yeah, you also pay for it ;)).

Cruised with Windstar before... :) Loved it....

then again I love to cruise..
any cruise..
I,ve heard People say cruising is one of those...either you love it..or hate it kind of things...

sigh...now I'm ready for a vacation...hahaha and I just got back from one

Upvote 0
Hehe, I hear ya! :)
We had an amazing time. The majority of the folks on board were quite old. There was only a few of us honeymooners which they of course called out for the on deck dinner. :rolleyes:
But, it was a really personable experience. We went to some very small ports in France and Spain that big cruise ships can't fit into. Only docked once in Barcelona.
A lot of the other guests would simple just hang out on deck, drink, tan, nap, read. They probably do this all the time. Ugh. We were there to explore every port, eat the local food and see the sites! :)
Will have to look up Windstar once we come up with the sums for another cruise!

Ah, just looked up Windstar. I think they work with Seabourn? The wife thought it might be a little too small for us. I think we did see one when we left in Monaco.

Upvote 0
Cruised with Windstar before... :) Loved it....

then again I love to cruise..
any cruise..
I,ve heard People say cruising is one of those...either you love it..or hate it kind of things...

sigh...now I'm ready for a vacation...hahaha and I just got back from one

So I guess you got over your fear of the little plane lol.:p How was Key West?

Upvote 0
Hehe, I hear ya! :)
We had an amazing time. The majority of the folks on board were quite old. There was only a few of us honeymooners which they of course called out for the on deck dinner. :rolleyes:
But, it was a really personable experience. We went to some very small ports in France and Spain that big cruise ships can't fit into. Only docked once in Barcelona.
A lot of the other guests would simple just hang out on deck, drink, tan, nap, read. They probably do this all the time. Ugh. We were there to explore every port, eat the local food and see the sites! :)
Will have to look up Windstar once we come up with the sums for another cruise!

Ah, just looked up Windstar. I think they work with Seabourn? The wife thought it might be a little too small for us. I think we did see one when we left in Monaco.

I'm kind of a beach seeker when it comes to vacations..I sailed on windstar from hawaii to the tahitian islands. Bora Bora was my favorite.it's so beautiful..and the water is warm and clean and clear and..a shade of blue I've yet to see anywhere...and stingrays just swim and play with you like puppies! ..sigh...

I've always wanted to go to Spain too...lucky you!! Did you like it?

Upvote 0
So I guess you got over your fear of the little plane lol.:p How was Key West?

HaHa!! I thought I was going to be afraid..but I wasn't at all! even when the pilot took out a paper map and started to read it when we were over nothing but water! :eek:

I had a great time in Key West..my favorite though was a little island we ferried over to , called the Dry Tortugas where Fort Jefferson is located. Such a Beautiful place to snorkel! I think you can actually easily accidentally swim to Cuba from there ..:)

Upvote 0
We only had 2? ports in Spain. Barcelona was fun, but seemed like just a big city anywhere to me. Obviously, too big to see in half a day.
Palamos was the only other port we were there for. It was a really small town, mostly for tourists and fishing. Was frustrated since I'm pretty good with Spanish, they don't speak it in either places. :mad:
(Well, English was fine everywhere :rolleyes:)
Weather was just fantastic. Food was phenomenal but pricey.
My favorite port on the 7 day cruise was probably Marseille, France. Beautiful, lots of great shops and restaurants and a fun Picasso museum.
Here's a shot from up above on a little tour we took. You can see the cruise ship below:
118_zpsfbfb9feb.jpg

Upvote 0
Yeah, you can spend half a day in the queue for the Segrada Familia in Barcelona! It needs a lot more time - awesome city: beautiful buildings, fabulous food, great nightlife and great shopping (at least, it keeps the missus busy for days). Real shame you didn't get to spend more time there.

I just spent the w/end there and everyone we came across spoke to us in Spanish, no problem. I'm sure a lot of them would have preferred Catalan, but no-one so much as grimaced - you were clearly unlucky.

Re Marseilles: I've always been put off by all the tales of rampant crime and racism. Maybe I'll give it look - the missus was talking about going to the south of France this year ..

Upvote 0
This falls somewhere between a pipe dream and publicity stunt. The ship will never be built. There's absolutely no way this thing would be profitable, not even close. After the novelty of sailing the Titanic wears off, you're left with a severely inadequate cruise ship compared with today's offerings. Tiny cabins, no balconies, very meager entertainment and pool deck options are just a few of the problems. Sure the initial sailings would book up, but would dry up shortly after. These things need to sail near full 24/7 for 7+ years just to make back the initial investment. I can't see this ship doing that. It would be cool to see it though. Titanic 2 = vaporware!

Upvote 0
This falls somewhere between a pipe dream and publicity stunt. The ship will never be built. There's absolutely no way this thing would be profitable, not even close. After the novelty of sailing the Titanic wears off, you're left with a severely inadequate cruise ship compared with today's offerings. Tiny cabins, no balconies, very meager entertainment and pool deck options are just a few of the problems. Sure the initial sailings would book up, but would dry up shortly after. These things need to sail near full 24/7 for 7+ years just to make back the initial investment. I can't see this ship doing that. It would be cool to see it though. Titanic 2 = vaporware!

Oh I don't know ... 2 years for everyone to get the "Titanic Experience" out of their system and then a mysterious accident (another iceberg would bee too obvious) and big insurance settlement. I'd check to see if the investors were primarily lawyers. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones