Total Android Newbie (iPhone convert). Have stupid questions

Last Updated:

1. Racktacular

Racktacular Active Member This Topic's Starter

Had the iPhone 3GS. It found its way into a cup of beer. Needless to say, I had the option to upgrade to the iPhone 4. I passed on that to get the Samsung Captivate. Just got it today. I know nothing about Android and need some help adjusting!

I just got my contacts synced through my GMAIL account. I honestly am not really sure how I even did that, but they seemed to just showed up. That's how newbie I am. LOL

With that said, a few questions:

1) Can someone explain where things get backed up on this phone. For example, on the iPhone all apps get saved in iTunes and all contacts get saved in Address Book. Where do apps from the Market get stored?

2) I have a Mac. I plug the USB into the computer, but I don't see my device on the mac. Why not? How can I get my Mp3's into this phone? Perhaps any movies I have on my mac into the phone?

3) There are a lot of things running in the background. Are any of them important? Which ones do I not want to stop and which ones can I safely stop?

4) If I download something from the Android Market, where does it get saved on the phone? IE. I downloaded the voice app that is need for Google Maps Navigation, it works, but I don't see anything physical on my phone. I don't even see that I have a history of ever downloading it.

I'm sure I have other questions, but I would be immensely appreciative if some you Android Veterans would help an aimless newbie out!

TIA!

- Rack

Advertisement
  2. Duck Tales LOL

Duck Tales LOL Well-Known Member

Most of the apps you install are saved to the internal memory of the phone. You can root the device(same as Jailbreaking pretty much), and install them to an external memory card.

To sync up to your computer, you'll need to visit Settings > Applications > USB Settings > Mass Storage. Once you turn that on, when you hook up your phone, you will see a little notification at the top of the phone. You can drag it down, click the "USB Connected" message, and hit the "MOUNT" button. This should let you sync your stuff to it.

You probably won't be able to play any music/movies from iTunes, since they will be locked to Apple's format. You can Google some software that will let you convert it though.

First thing you should download is "Advanced Task Killer". It will kill all the unneeded background apps and speed up your phone.

Any apps you download will be in the Applications screen.

3. Croak

Croak Well-Known Member

See my text in red.

4. lordmaxx

lordmaxx Well-Known Member

If you really want to keep track of the apps you are installing and using, Appbrain.com is a great third party solution to not only tag items for install, but to sort them into categories.

5. Racktacular

Thanks for the reply:

Follow-up:

If I do the MASS STORAGE>MOUNT thingamajigger, what exactly am I syncing if everything gets stored on the Phones internal memory? Plus how does that help me take things from my mac and add it to the phone? Is that even possible?

Thanks for the "Advanced Task Killer" app idea. Is there a way to uninstall an app in case it starts messing with the phone or if I just don't like a particular app? If so, how?

TIA

- Rack

6. Racktacular

Thanks for the other responses. Didn't see them until after my post.

This may be an ultra-stupid question, but can you use the Android Market from the internet and wirelessly (or USB) download the apps to the phone?

7. Duck Tales LOL

Duck Tales LOL Well-Known Member

To remove an app, visit Settings > Applications > Manage Applications. From here you can uninstall.

You can also go back to the App in the Market, and uninstall it from there. You can get a refund on any app you purchased within 24 hours as well.

8. Racktacular

Double Twist. I downloaded it. I mounted it. Double Twist program says that the phone is "connected to computer". The double twist program on my mac says that it is not. I can't drag and drop any music or photos. Anyone know why? My USB connection on the phone is set to MASS STORAGE.

9. circazero

circazero Well-Known Member

Try this:

Go to settings>applications >development >USB debugging. Turn it on.

Then retry to connect to doubletwist. It worked for me.

10. blackhawk526

blackhawk526 New Member

Newbie here!!! Im in the SAME boat with a macbook pro...just left the "i"world and was enjoying it until my parade was rained on with all the syncing issues!!

I've done everything aforementioned and some, still no luck! The phone even says internal sd card is unavailable after i connect/disconnect it and has to be rebooted to get it back...oh yeah, haven't found ANY mac drivers, seems like someones not playing fair :(.. Btw, not trying to hijack your thread OP!!

11. Loco Leeep

Loco Leeep Well-Known Member

Pull down the notification shade and click "mount drive"