• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

TOTAL GOV FAILURE-THE COVID 19 EDITION!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok sure, but that was in the past.....this is now and our government is failing miserably!!!!!!!

right now i could careless what happened under obama's reign. maybe later on we can dwell back on it. but we could have been way more prepared if we reacted faster.

i'm more worried about NY and looks like Louisiana is going to be the next hotspot. i just hope that we can get them what they need in time. why did it take trump now to enact the DPA? he announced he would put the order in weeks ago.....I JUST DO NOT GET IT!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
I don't get it either.

You're worried about New York, where just weeks ago the mayor suggested that New Yorkers go out and see a movie?

You're worried about New Orleans, where the mayor ok'd Mardi gras?

Yep. I can see how the left just wants to blame Trump for everything.
MyScreen_2020-03-28-21-01-11.png

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
i am worried. look mistakes are being made on both sides. this virus does not make political statements. it is just frustrating when government officials who actually see the numbers before anyone else, did not make the call to be better prepared. i mean everyone was saying testing was the key. but now they are saying equipment to battle the front lines are more important. testing is still important, but we need ventilators, masks, among other protection.

so my question is:
1. why did he wait for the PDA. he talked about it weeks ago.
2. why did he call the virus a hoax? what changed his mind?
3. why did his administration not accept help when it was given? the WHO offered to provide tests back in Jan?
4. why did he shut down the White House Pandemic Response team in 2018?
5. why is he saying that we will get a vaccine very "quickly", when Anthony Fauci (the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases) has been saying it will be at least a year before there is one.
6. why is he saying that hydroxychloroquine looks like the drug has "tremendous promise". these kind of drugs like the vaccine will take a long time before it is certain it will work. this drug is now in shortage and is used for people who have lupus, malaria and arthritis. those patients are screwed.

i could go on and on. all of this is not partisan. it is just a failure by our leadership. if you read thru my posts i do not mention Republicans or Democrats because all are in this together like it or not.

i agree the mayor of New Orleans failed as well. Mardi Gras should not have happened. Spring Break in Florida should not have happened. a lot of things should not have happened. that is why i called this thread a total government failure. it does not have to be just the current administration. mayors and governors are in this as well.

i also am worried about Mississippi now. there is no current stay at home order. so please if you are in this state. please practice social distancing. for those are going to work in that state, please be careful and i wish you all good luck.

Reactions: dontpanicbobby
Upvote 0
Not replenishing the protective equipment stockpile was a serious error. But it's pretty symptomatic of the mindset of rule by beancounter culture you get these days, (which "small Government" mindsets exacerbate, but all Western governments are vulnerable to). It's also not unique to the US: a UK report in 2017 identified that stocks of protective equipment were inadequate to cope with an epidemic, but the government of the day (same party as now) decided not to act on it because they felt it was too expensive.

In any event, the simple fact is that it was apparent that something like this was likely back in January. Both UK and US governments were warned, and both decided (in different ways, and for different reasons) not to act. They continued to drag their feet even when it was spreading and the pandemic potential was unmissable. The UK is acting more seriously now than the US, but the way in which the upper echelons of Government now include many covid cases is a stark illustration of the fact that they were too complacent for too long. As yet the infection figures aren't showing any real impact of the lockdown here, but because of the incubation period it will be a few more days before I'd expect it to become visible (it looks like people are taking it seriously, though I'm sure there are exceptions, so I'm optimistic that the trends here will start to change before too long).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
well at least your government is taking things more seriously. we are so far behind the 8 ball and i'm afraid a lot of states who are doing nothing are going to get a lot of people killed. and now the fact that our president is giving relief help to those he favors more first is ridiculous. those that do not fall in line, he instructed pence not to talk to them. i just want to remind trump that WE ARE ALL AMERICANS and we all deserve the same treatment!!!!!!

Upvote 0
Well serious action by our Government lagged behind the actions of much of the public, many organisations and even a fair few commercial companies. And if I'm honest I can't help suspecting that our PM moved because he realised that the policy he'd previously favoured have resulted in a death toll that would have made his position untenable (he's never cared a damn about the consequences of his actions for others, but he can recognise when there's something he can't bluff his way out of, and as someone with no convictions other than that he should be PM he has never had a problem with changing his tune and pretending it was what he meant all along). But yes, they have started taking it seriously (and have probably been encouraged by the realisation that most of the public - an almost unprecedented over 90% - not only approve of this but believe that stricter measures may be needed).

Upvote 0
On this side of the Pond it's grimly amusing to hear government supporters say "nobody could have predicted this" when an NHS report in 2016 and a Government report in 2018 both concluded that we did not have the necessary capacity, and the current PM was a Cabinet Minster throughout this period.

But you know, it's all about getting the message you want to those who aren't going to make the effort to check the facts (or, in some cases, remember that the message was different last week).

Upvote 0
Bwahahahaha! Now Trump is critcising Johnson's earlier strategy as being too hands-off and likely to lead to excessive numbers of deaths. Of course at the time that Johnson was pushing that policy Trump was in the transition from claiming that the whole thing was a fraud perpetrated by his political opponents to claiming that the US would not have a serious problem.

My prediction is that by the end of this he will be taking the worst case numbers for an unmitigated pandemic (which, never forget, he claimed for weeks was a fabrication), subtracting the actual death toll from them, and claiming that he personally has saved the lives of all of the others by rapid, decisive, near-prescient action...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
why do we not have a nationwide stay at home order? why is the US government allowing states to fend for themselves? why is the government allowing states to compete not only against each other, but also with FEMA for medical supplies. we need a centralized system to make sure each state is getting enough resources to battle this virus instead of driving the price up.....it is utterly ridiculous!!!!!!!!!

why did Georgia and Florida just now issue a stay at home order? why wait so long? the governor of Georgia said that he just learned that people can be asymptomatic and still have the virus. HE IS THE GOVERNOR!!!!!!! at least his administration should have informed him. this was well known and well documented by now.

.......we have no leadership. our government is failing us!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
This whole thing is unprecedented!!!!! This is where a leader is born, during a time of crisis. This is not a state by state crisis. This is a national crisis. Tell me why are states competing and driving up prices? Why is there not a coordinated effort to stream line getting the supplies needed for each state?

.....again where is the leadership?

Upvote 0
Well, The Feds aren't supply clerks.
dude really?????? normally...yes you are right. but this not even close to normal.

somebody needs to f@cking step up. who is it going to be? our president surely does not. according to him, he is the backup plan.....that is some leadership!!!!!

somebody needs to streamline the process so that:
1. states are not competing against each other for supplies
2. states, fema, cities, and hospitals do not drive the price up on supplies
3. making sure that everyone has everything they need in time sand before the apex wave occurs

this is a national crisis where ALL Americans are affected. We, the United States of America, are showing the world that we are not in control. this virus has all the control it needs to sustain a very long attack on us. unless we get organized we are all gonna lose. if our government doesn't grow some balls soon and take the necessary steps needed to fight this thing, we will fail!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
But it's not about America, it's about Donald Trump. How else can you explain yeterday's performance where the CDC issues advice on face covering and the President repeatedly says "I'm not going to do it"? Obviously a master salesman and stable genius must understand the concept of giving a clear and consistent message, so the only possible explanation for him directly, repeatedly undermining his own administration's advice is that it's not about the country, the only thing that matters is himself.

Upvote 0
The truth is that the really big failure has already happened. This week Trump acknowledged the potential scale of this, though characteristically tried to take credit by claiming that modelling that "we commissioned" showed that without action 2.2 million Americans could die (in fact the model was from the Imperial College study, funded by UK medical and international development research bodies and a Saudi medical and educational foundation, and not commissioned by the US government at all). But the fact is that the IC team presented that model to the US Covid-19 taskforce on March 6th, almost a month earlier. And that is the real failure: allowing the virus to become endemic and embedded before they actually acted. This is just one illustration, and it largely caught my attention because of the attempt to take credit for something I knew they had not only not done themselves but had failed to act on when it was presented to them. It's not as if this was the first indication they had of the seriousness either. But it is that delay that is the key failure that all of the others merely exacerbate.

And while Trump has quoted that figure from the IC study now, he still seems to have trouble with the main conclusion of the paper. The important conclusion was that critical care capacity would be overwhelmed (many times over) in the absence of a strong and sustained suppression policy (and the fatality estimates in the model did not include the consequences of this). Although most states have now got round to instituting at least advisory orders, far too many waited until infections are clearly widespread and rapidly rising before acting. Some still haven't, even though they only have to look at neighbouring states to see what the result of that is. So there are two levels of failure here: failure by many State governments to act in time, and failure by the federal Government to step in when it's clear that some States are failing in their responsibilities.

Of course this whole business also acts as a speeded-up illustration of a much bigger problem. So many have preferred to protect "business as usual" until the problem became so large that it could not be ignored, by which time it is too late to avoid catastrophic consequences (because the administration now expect a death toll which any rational person would call catastrophic). This is a mirror of the response of most governments to the climate crisis, and this current crisis is small change by comparison (and I say that as someone who has a very vulnerable mother in a care home during this pandemic, so am not at all detatched from the potential consequences of this one). I don't expect Trump to learn that lesson, but hope that others will see what they are doing.

Upvote 0
PSA:

Watching...

Just for the record, all we need here is someone who is conservative to counter your arguments, again, and we have yet another fight on our hands. Thread being watched.

/PSA
its all good, i did not think this was escalating into an argument. there was no name calling or anything like that. it is just a good ole discussion on how i'm right and everyone else is wrong:thumbsupdroid::thumbsupdroid::thumbsupdroid::thumbsupdroid:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones