• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Trouble getting sim to work

richardca

Lurker
Dec 9, 2011
I have an Orange Desire from the UK. I now live in Canada, I had the phone unlocked when I first moved here and used a Fido sim for a while.
I've now changed to Virgin (which is part of Bell Canada) but it won't regiter to the new sim, it just comes up with - 'your sim won't allow a connection on this network'

I know nothing about phones, but have had a look on the internet and checked APN settings, which appear to be correct.
While looking for an answer, I've seen lots of other confusing stuff about debranding, rooting, foryo, etc etc. I have no clue what any of this means! I spoke to a guy who said something about the phone being locked to the European wave legnth of 1700, and the Canadaian Virgin is 1900, or something along those lines. But again, it all menas nothing to me.

Can someone tell me what I need to do to get my Desire to work with my new Virgin sim, in simple terms so I can understand!

Thanks...:thinking:

I found out how to get this info about the phone:

Bravo PVT1 SHIP S-ON
HBOOT 0.93.0001
MICROP 031d
Touch Panel SYNT0101
Radio 5.10.05.30
Aug 10 2010

Model Number HTC Desire A8181
Android Version 2.2
Software Number 2.17.61.3
Browser Version Webkit 3.1

If there is any other info needed, you'll have to tell me how to find it.

Thanks again...

The Desire supports all 4 GSM frequency bands used worldwide, but only 2 UMTS (3G) bands. UK Desires support the 900MHz and 2100MHz UMTS bands, neither of which is used in North America. Hence UK Desires cannot do 3G anywhere in the US or Canada - HTC made versions which supported different 3G bands for those areas.

The difference is that Fido have a 2G network using GSM technology, so the phone would still work with them, though only with slower mobile data. Bell Mobility do not have a GSM network - their 2G is based on a different technology (CDMA). Hence the UK handset cannot be used with Bell at all.

Sorry about this, but like SUroot says there is nothing you can do. You either need a different network or a different handset. :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones