• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Do you work on a building site? Then get a JCB phone with rubberized outer.

Do you work as a pool attendant? You might be OK, but the Defy had it's waterproof rating downgraded. Some people posted youtube about swimming with it, or in a glass of beer, etc etc. But others were not so lucky.

Personally I love this phone so there's no way I'd intentionally try to damage it. I have dropped it many times with no damage, but half of those times was in a leather case. It's just a slightly tougher, more water resistant phone, that is all.
Actually, you can take calls with it in the rain with no problems. It's just that capacitive screens don't work well with water on them, so take a cloth.

Think of it as what a Nokia 5800 should have been ;).

Reactions: Lineman69
Upvote 0
Some people complain that the Gorilla glass isn't as tough as it's supposed to be. That it scratches or can be broken -- like putting it in your pocket with keys, or back pocket and then sitting on it. Others have general gripes, but always about the glass. Personally I have dropped my Defy several times on stone floors (my house) and once it slipped out of my hand, ricocheted in a corner of stone tile like a ping-pong ball then hit the stone floor. Another time I dropped it face-down on rocks and asphalt. Thus far, not even a scratch.

I have immersed it in beer and hot coffee with no issues. But... glass is glass and my son's iPhone is a whole block of Gorilla glass and his pals have broken theirs so he keeps it in a case.

Reactions: Lineman69
Upvote 0
Some people complain that the Gorilla glass isn't as tough as it's supposed to be. That it scratches or can be broken -- like putting it in your pocket with keys, or back pocket and then sitting on it. Others have general gripes, but always about the glass. Personally I have dropped my Defy several times on stone floors (my house) and once it slipped out of my hand, ricocheted in a corner of stone tile like a ping-pong ball then hit the stone floor. Another time I dropped it face-down on rocks and asphalt. Thus far, not even a scratch.

I have immersed it in beer and hot coffee with no issues. But... glass is glass and my son's iPhone is a whole block of Gorilla glass and his pals have broken theirs so he keeps it in a case.

Well... this is one moto that is safe with moisture. I had a V3 that packed up due to condensation (just from being in my pocket). Thought that was a pretty poor show. Or other moto flip phones with paint flaking off on the INSIDE of the flip. So now it's just nice to see moto finally have something that can put up with normal usage.

I dropped a BB 8520 once & it received damage. Personally I wouldn't call defy a 'rugged' or 'tough phone' but I think it's the standard all 'normal' phones should be at now. Why not? That's what technology is all about, the trickle down of tech making everyday phones better. It still amazes that only a decade ago phones were only for calls, message & WAP.

Cheers :beer:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones