• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Turn off Facebook notifications (native not installed)

I have Facebook pre-installed on my phone (cant remove even if I wanted to) and I also had the downloaded version installed. I turned off the notifications and it worked for a while. Now I have a thread in facebook that will notify me every time someone added a message to it. it is a high school reunion for the class a year ahead of me. I dont want anything to do with it, but cant get it to stop! I uninstalled facebook, and it still comes, so i know it has to be the pre-installed facebook. There was an option to turn off notifications in the downloadable version but not in the pre-installed version (that I can see anyway) I have deleted the thread every time I get it but it re-adds me everytime there is a new post to the thread. I still need the facebook integration for uploading pictures, at least until I can figure out how to upload without it. (a topic for a completely different thread)

I have done searches and dont see a solution (the only solutions I have seen concern the downloadable version where you can turn notifications off) but if Imissed something please point me in that direction (dont just lock the thread and tell me to use the search, since I already used the search with no luck)

I removed the app, there is no app to open anymore. Yes, not email, it pops a blue icon with the facebook 'F' in the taskbar. It is using the hard-installed facebook, the native-can-not-remove-with-a-hammer version of facebook. It is a facebook thread, and opens in a facebook format. I dont get any email notifications.

The only options i get with it are reply and delete. And before i removed the downloadable version i quadruple checked and the notifications were marked off.

Thanks for trying to help out sitlet.

Upvote 0
i cant even frekn find it! not listed in apps running, installed, nothing!

my only theory is that I logged in to it when I set it up to use as my photo upload default. There is a "Social Networking" app, this has it listed, I will remove it and see if it works, i might not know for a while, the replys to the thread are slowing down.

Upvote 0
FOUND IT!!! (I hope, time will tell)
it is the "Messaging" app. open it, hit options -> Messaging Settings -> Social Messaging -> Notifications!

This was a frekn b!+$# to find! and totally different than the "Notifications" that I turned off before. Now, i might be brave enough to DL the Facebook app again.

The biggest issue was that I didnt want anything to be working in the background at certain times, and i would get these, showing me that SOMETHING was working, but I guess it goes along with your txts, and I still want that, so I will have to bite the bullet...

gcobb - It came pre-installed (Droid-X/Verizon)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones