• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Virgin Mobile] [TUTORIAL] CM10.1 on VM GS3

quick note - cm 10.1 now has stable releases on sprint.CyanogenMod Downloads

Edit: successfully followed this guide last night using TWRP last night, looks like lte is the only thing iffy. I assume all the sprint stuff is hard-coded into the rom? By the way, the guide doesn't appear to mention a factory reset, might want to add that. Everything else is great, missed cm a lot. Something really doesn't feel right about this modem, though, I get worse service everywhere.
Actually, my messaging app is broken too, any ideas?

Upvote 0
I went through this procedure last night (3 times, actually, with a clean wipe before each), and I never could get my phone working well. I had Google Play Store problems every time (it couldn't install anything), GApps were not there even though they appeared to install successfully in recovery, and a host of other problems. So I reverted to my Nandroid and am back to stock again. Sigh.

Upvote 0
If you did a factory reset, you must have made a mistake somewhere... Sounds like your gapps didn't flash.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I got a success message from the GApps flash every time, but they were not there after rebooting (no GMail or Chrome, outdated Play Store, etc.) I'm going to give it one more shot today - I hate Touchwiz.

Upvote 0
Ok, I think the 4th time was the charm! I'm running CM 10.1.2 on my VM Galaxy S3. I used the tutorial here, except I installed TWRP instead of CWM.

I even have Visual voicemail working (I think), using g60madman's suggestion. I want to do a bit more testing before I post the update here. All I had to do was edit two lines in the updater script - one to change the platform to d2spr, the other to change the mount point for the cache partition.

Upvote 0
It works - it WORKS! I have CM 10.1.2 running on my Virgin Mobile Galaxy S3 with Visual Voicemail!

I followed the tutorial at the beginning of this thread to get CM installed (thanks to all the folks who contributed to that!), then I made a couple of very simple modifications to the HTC Evo V 4G VVM fix posted by g60madman at http://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-a...zip-10-1-visual-voicemail-fix-9016-fixed.html. I followed the same procedure as described in that thread, and voila!

Attached is g60madman's fix, modified for the Galaxy S3.

Attachments

• CM10.1.2-MMS-VMM-9016-FIX-GS3.zip
    4.9 MB · Views: 114
Reactions: mdprfsr and oner14
Upvote 0
It works - it WORKS! I have CM 10.1.2 running on my Virgin Mobile Galaxy S3 with Visual Voicemail!

I followed the tutorial at the beginning of this thread to get CM installed (thanks to all the folks who contributed to that!), then I made a couple of very simple modifications to the HTC Evo V 4G VVM fix posted by g60madman at http://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-a...zip-10-1-visual-voicemail-fix-9016-fixed.html. I followed the same procedure as described in that thread, and voila!

Attached is g60madman's fix, modified for the Galaxy S3.

Do you know if 4g is working? It would be great if someone would be able to get that fixed!!!

Upvote 0
Sprint doesn't have 4G in Santa Fe. Next time I go to Albuquerque I'll find out.

but your phone connects in lte mode? also I've noticed that my radios in general are much weaker. Got full wifi before, now only 2 bars max at home. Similar for cell reception.

edit:well, it looks like its working better, and I was able to switch back to LTE/cdma, but i swear my radios are twerkin....jumping up and down.

Upvote 0
Okay, so I did some testing to try and get better service with 10.1 by switching the radio's on this page here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=29121008

I was using the MB1 Radio/Modem/Baseband when I got fed up with the spotty service and went back to my stock backup I made, thinking that this would put me back to MD7. It did not, however my service instantly improved- And I got 4g access back.

I did some more testing and wanted to see what would happen if I just flashed the MD4 Firmware/Radio/Baseband to my stock rom, knowing that I could switch it back. I got the firmware here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1910947

After flashing, I noticed some improvement on voice calls - as they were choppy at best with MB1. I also still have full service, 4g and all. And I am using the MD4 firmware baseband.

Thus, I pose this question: Is it necessary to modify the MD4 firmware to include the MD7 radio? From my results - This has nothing to do with network access, but it would appear to be something else within the stock rom. Maybe APN's?
fU3ttPE.png
HIZIwB7.png

Upvote 0
its a bug with aosp based roms across the board for the gs3. all cm/pa variants have shitty service.
I'm trying to get mms working on pa right now (looks like this guy ported it from another carrier > sprint, and I cant get my apns working), its the same deal.
I'm hoping it's just because there is no source for 4.2.2, sounds like in a few months we should get 4.3/4.2.2
almost positive you can't flash a 4.2.2 based rom without md7

Upvote 0
almost positive you can't flash a 4.2.2 based rom without md7
I had cm 10.1 with the MB1 Radio, so you can.
What I am questioning is the OP, where he says that we need to have the MD7 Radio with MD4 firmware, when it appears to me that it is not necessary and we can all run the MD4 Radio with the MD4 Firmware instead.

Testing this now, Flashing MD4 Firmware/Radio/Baseband
Then flashing stock CM 10.1
Edit:
Works, No need to even have MD7.

1) Wipe system, data, cache, & Davik
2) Fash the MD4 Firmware here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1910947
3) Then Flash CM 10.1 - So much easier
4) (don't know if this will fix 4g or even work) Fix apn's http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1794956
q2Tcn68.png

ZqPEAc1.png

Reactions: ENVi3
Upvote 0
but your phone connects in lte mode? also I've noticed that my radios in general are much weaker. Got full wifi before, now only 2 bars max at home. Similar for cell reception.

I'm connected in LTE/CDMA/EVDO mode, there's just no LTE where I am. My service seems about the same as always (crappy since I live in an adobe house with 16" thick walls containing wire mesh), but better than I had with my Galaxy Nexus on Verizon.

Upvote 0
I'm connected in LTE/CDMA/EVDO mode, there's just no LTE where I am. My service seems about the same as always (crappy since I live in an adobe house with 16" thick walls containing wire mesh), but better than I had with my Galaxy Nexus on Verizon.

It's just a shame the radios are so much worse than stock. It's usually 2 bars on AOSP-base vs full barswhen I restore to touchwiz.

Anyone going to answer my question

If you do the modem/baseband that will go away.

I had cm 10.1 with the MB1 Radio, so you can.
What I am questioning is the OP, where he says that we need to have the MD7 Radio with MD4 firmware, when it appears to me that it is not necessary and we can all run the MD4 Radio with the MD4 Firmware instead.

I see, so is that for 4.1.2 or 4.2.2 or does it not matter (the radio)? I'm very curious to see someone with a knowledge of these things to give their 2 cents.

Upvote 0
I see, so is that for 4.1.2 or 4.2.2 or does it not matter (the radio)? I'm very curious to see someone with a knowledge of these things to give their 2 cents.
From my experience, It doesn't matter. I am running the MD4 Firmware/radio/baseband on stock/rooted. I have 4G access, MMS, SMS, all the fun happy stuff. If fact I would say that my network quality has improved, I get about 3-4 bars inside my house - where as before on stock i was rocking 1-2. Also no choppiness with voice calls that I was experiencing with the MB1 Radio.

I would also like an actual explanation as to why this works, what the OP said makes sense...that i need my carriers radio to get on their network. But from my results that doesn't matter.

Upvote 0
1) Wipe system, data, cache, & Davik
2) Fash the MD4 Firmware here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1910947
3) Then Flash CM 10.1 - So much easier
4) (don't know if this will fix 4g or even work) Fix apn's http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1794956
It's really as easy as that and everything (MMS, 4G, etc) is working? I think I might try this later tonight then...
I do have 1 question though, if I do want to revert back to my TouchWiz ROM, do I have to change the Firmware back to Virgin's? Or would just restoring a nandroid be ok?
Thanks.

Upvote 0
It's really as easy as that and everything (MMS, 4G, etc) is working? I think I might try this later tonight then...
I do have 1 question though, if I do want to revert back to my TouchWiz ROM, do I have to change the Firmware back to Virgin's? Or would just restoring a nandroid be ok?
Thanks.
3G works. I can't say the same for 4g in 10.1
I am on stock. and everything works with the MD4 radio. I have not tested this with other touchwiz roms.

Upvote 0
This doesn't work for me a constantly get a error status 7. Even when I try to use oden to flash the recovery it doesn't show the .img file as a option. I give up
you don't flash a .img with odin. You flash .tar files. Did you even read my tutorial?

Use TWRP recovery, its better for so many reasons.
Odin flashable here (last file on the page 2.6.0.0) :Techerrata Downloads - Browsing d2spr
there I even posted the link again for you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones