• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tutorial: Moving Stuff Between Android and PC

Wi-Fi File Transfer has a similar functionality and it is much more user friendly as well. I would suggest anybody who finds this method difficult to give it a try.

There are tons of apps now that do it. The last time I tried WiFi File Transfer it was insanely slow. Surely they must've improved it by now.

Upvote 0
Wi-Fi File Transfer has a similar functionality and it is much more user friendly as well. I would suggest anybody who finds this method difficult to give it a try.
As mentioned in post #49 above, I started out with WiFi File Transfer and switched to the method recommended by darkuni in this thread. Using this method, you have additional functionality such as the ability to see dates, properties, etc for files located on the phone. I will agree, however, that WiFi File Transfer is simple and user friendly.
Pete

Upvote 0
I bought for less than $50 at Radio Shack a 64gb flash drive. If you have a computer, plug both the flashdrive and a USB adaptor cable (assuming a Windows OS). Select "Turn on USB" on your Android device. On Windows computer, go to "My Computer" where you should see both drives. Copy/paste files back and forth as needed.

Without a computer: You can use your Android device and swap out 2 different SD cards. Download (from Google's Playstore) "File Manager" by Rhysoft (For tablets, "File Manager HD" is better). Create a folder in the phone's internal memory to temporarily 'hold' files to be backed up. Now, either 'unmount' sd card in 'Settings/SD Card Storage" and swap out cards, OR turn off device, remove SD Card, load new SD Card and boot up device. (Follow these steps! Just pulling SD Card out without unmounting it properly or device in off state could damage your files on the card.

One other way, what I do is this: I bought from Amazon a nice, powered by ac, 7 port USB hub, made by the Plugable company ( Plugable

Upvote 0
I haven't been around these forums long, but it seems the Top Questions always include:

How do I move music|data|files between my Android and my computer?

Oddly enough, there doesn't seem to be a "definitive" thread on it, so I'm going to share MY methodology, add a couple alternatives and hope that this helps out all the Android newbies that have recently joined The Green Robot Army.

FAQ:

Q. I'm coming from iPhone. What's the difference?

A. iPhone needs iTunes (with some exceptions). Android is a drag and drop device - like a flash drive. You can plug it in, and just copy files over. No "sync software" is usually required. The cage door is open :)

Q. What if I want iTunes for my Android?

A. Check out Double Twist. It's about as close as you get.

Q. My Nexus Galaxy is an MTP device. What's the difference between this and a most other Android devices?

A. MTP mounts the device on your computer as a "media device". Many OSes will need drivers and when the device shows up, it isn't EXACTLY the same as a regular flash/usb drive. There will be more limitations as to file names, possibly folders, etc. you are allowed to use. If you want the techie details, check here.

Q. Do I have to use a cable to move files to my Android?

A. No. There are dozens of ways to do it. We will look at several.

Second, how *I* personally handle file transfers between my Android and PC.

What You Need:
- File Expert (Free; Market Link)
- Local Network (Android on WiFi on the same network as your PC)
- OPTIONAL: Good file manager (I use Directory Opus - Opus Home)
- OPTIONAL: PC FTP software (Directory Opus has this built in)
- OPTIONAL: HTML5 Web Browser (I use Chrome v17)

Method(s) Used:
- FTP
- HTTP

Skill Level:
Easy

Setting Up
1. Ensure your Android Device is on your local network via WiFi.
2. Open your FTP or HTML5 compatible Web browser on the PC.
3. Download and install File Expert on your Android Device.

We will do FTP method first, then offer the alternative HTTP experience.

Getting Started (FTP)
1. Run File Expert on your Android Device.
2. Select SHARE MY CONTENTS

screenshot2012011521234.png

3. Select START SHARE VIA FTP

screenshot2012011521235.png

4. Take note of the address presented in the pop up window. It will appear something like: ftp://192.168.1.191:2211

screenshot2012011521240.png

5. On your PC, go to your FTP program or open Windows Explorer.

6. Configure your FTP program using the above credentials or enter the address into Windows Explorer's Address Bar.

ftpwe.png

7. You will be prompted for credentials. Enter:

Username: fe
Password: filexpert

8. Your Android will appear as if it were a folder on your computer!

9. Use this as you would any other folder to drag and drop files to and from your Android.

Note: You can also bookmark/favorite:
ftp://fe:filexpert@192.168.1.191:2211

.. that passes your credentials in with the address. Try it.

Getting Started (HTTP)
1. Run File Expert on your Android Device.
2. Select SHARE MY CONTENTS

screenshot2012011521234.png

3. Select START SHARE via Web

screenshot2012011521235.png

4. Take note of the address presented in the pop up window. It will appear something like: http://192.168.1.191:8080

screenshot2012011521393.png

5. On your PC, go to your HTML5 compatible web browser and enter the address from above.

weblogin.png

6. Once logged in, you will get a full desktop like environment in your web browser! Open up File Expert to access files, open up Gallery to see your pictures etc.

(linked because it's a big image)
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/5484/webinterfacem.png

Note: This web desktop tool uses the context menu a lot (right click your mouse).

rightclicko.png

ADDENDUM Updated 2/26/2012

1. Change the default folder on your phone

You may not like the "default" sharing location on your device - which is usually to the standard SDCARD mapping on the phone (/mnt/sdcard).

Many devices, while having an SD card slot, don't map the default SDCARD location to the card - they point it to another partition on internal memory (that way, it still works - even if you don't have a real SD card in).

On the Asus Transformer tablet, for example. There are three storage locations:
- Phone Internal Storage
- /mnt/SDCard (which is still just another location of internal memory)
- /Removable/MicroSD (which is the REAL SD card)

File Expert will default to /mnt/SDCard - wherever that might point to. On the ORIGINAL Droid phone, that path actually points to the real SD card; not to some 'fake' internal memory called SDCard.

Fortunately, it's pretty easy to change this.

a. Use File Expert to navigate to whatever folder you want to be the "default sharing folder" (this can be ANY folder on your device - not just an SDCard (real or fake)).

b. LONG PRESS the folder you want to make default.

c. From the popup menu, hit MORE.

d. On the second popup menu, select SET AS DEFAULT SHARING DIR.

At the time of writing, there is a bug in File Expert that will not "recognize" this change immediately. You can see the details of this bug (I submitted it to the FE team) here:

http://www.xageek.com/en/bbs/viewthread.php?tid=821&extra=page=1

It will also show you a work around. Sorry - this is a pretty new bug and I don't think they even knew it was there. I know that sucks. I'm sure they will fix it soon. Hey, maybe you'll like the cool web version better than using FTP.
thanks a lot darkuni life seems easier now i am able to do these transfers,cheers from australia.

Upvote 0
I'm using Directory Opus running on my Windows 7 PC to commuicate with my Android (Galaxy Nexus) phone running ES File Explorer. When transferring files from phone to PC via FTP, the timestamp is changed to the time of transfer rather than maintaining the original (correct) timestamp on phone? This happens with other apps I've run on phone. Any clues on how to resolve this? It's a nuisance.
Pete

Upvote 0
I use Xplore file manager to move files between android phones and winPC.

For android system folders, like apks or /system/data, I use Winscp on winPC and sshdroid on android phone. They coupled together smooth like silk. Google winscp and install on your winPC; download installed sshdroid from google playstore, you are all set. Both are Freeware

If you are a bit tech savvy, you can use adb and push and pull. And for me, I get rid of the USB cable, I use adbwireless, works like abd but minus the USB cable, tutorial here, http://forums.androidcentral.com/vi...8-step-step-tutorial-adbwireless-refresh.html

bun

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I use Xplore file manager to move files between android phones and winPC.

For android system folders, like apks or /system/data, I use Winscp on winPC and sshdroid on android phone. They coupled together smooth like silk. Google winscp and install on your winPC; download installed sshdroid from google playstore, you are all set. Both are Freeware

If you are a bit tech savvy, you can use adb and push and pull. And for me, I get rid of the USB cable, I use adbwireless, works like abd but minus the USB cable, tutorial here, step by step tutorial: adbwireless refresh - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

bun
I've been using FTP via both Dopus (client) and Filezilla (server) on the PC and ES File Explorer (client and server) on my Android Galaxy Nexus. It works well in all respects except two. First, when copying Nandroid backups from phone to PC and then back, it often fails the MD5 checksum upon restore. I don't understand why since all other file types copy without issues. Second, a problem that I've never resolved is that the times-tamp is not preserved when copying Android to PC ie, it gets set to the current date and time on PC. Have you experience with either of these issues?
Pete

Upvote 0
...Second, a problem that I've never resolved is that the times-tamp is not preserved when copying Android to PC ie, it gets set to the current date and time on PC. Have you experience with either of these issues?
Pete

No, I dont. The timestamp preserved with winscp/sshdroid. One thing I like about winscp/sshdroid it is explore-like interface, absolutely user friendly.

bun

Upvote 0
No, I dont. The timestamp preserved with winscp/sshdroid. One thing I like about winscp/sshdroid it is explore-like interface, absolutely user friendly.

bun
That's interesting. What protocol do you use eg, SFTP, SCP, FTP? Any other hints on setting it up?

Update: think I figured it out; it must be SFTP. Got it working and as you mentioned, the timestamps are preserved
Pete

Upvote 0
I just installed file expert and the first thing i see is the cloud. I do not want to be sharing or uploading my data or info to anyone. Can I configure this to disable cloud and only transfer files between my phone and laptop?

Welcome to the forums! :)

You don't have to use the cloud in File Expert.

Go to My Tools tab, tap the box to share your stuff and turn on FTP sharing.

Your files will stay on your own network, that's it.

Nothing goes to any cloud service until you configure it to.

Personally, I find the File Expert interface crowded and confusing.

Most of what you may want to do can be done more easily with AirDroid.

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones