• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

TV Shows & Films

El Barto

Sep 14, 2011
England
Hello,

I'm thinking of buying this tablet for my dad but he primarily wants to watch TV shows on the BBC & Sky on his tablet without and Internet connection. I've been Googling around for this but am still unsure how possible this is.

We live in the UK and pay for a TV License and for Sky so we legally have access to both services, is there a method (preferably simple) to download programs we are allowed to view already to make them viewable on this tablet?

Also if anyone knows of a method to get LoveFilm streaming videos offline that'd be great too as we have a subscription to that as well.

Thank you for any answer in advance,
El Barto.

Hi,

I'm from the uk too. I think eventually iPlayer on android will allow you to download to view later programs but you would need to connect to the internet to get them so you dad could d/l a load of programs at your house even if he doesn't have the internet. This sort of thing is definitely possible on apple things at the mo but not on android yet. Not really aware of any legal way to do it until we're actually legally allowed to rip our own DVDs to digital format.

Can't help with sky as I'm with virgin :O

Upvote 0
iplayer already works - side load flash and the iplayer app.

If he has no internet connection how is he going to download anything ?
If you have Sky I think they offer a connection of some sort or another for free ? regardless it'd be worth paying a few quid a month to get him a connection.

Upvote 0
Hello,

Sorry for not replying sooner.

Just to be clear as I think what I wrote originally might have been misinterpreted when I said it would be used offline I meant that at home it'd be connected to the WiFi so downloading apps would be fine, even copying files across would be fine as we can connect it to the home computer but when he was out and about with it then there'd be no connection. I think paying for a 3g connection to stream content would get a bit to pricey.

So there isn't a reasonably easy method of downloading TVShows & Movies onto the Nexus 7 to watch without an Internet connection? Maybe a laptop would be better as Markg suggested but surely that wouldn't be much easier?

Thank you all for the replies so far. What would you guys do if you were trying to get your dad a Christmas present to watch TV shows & movies on without a constant Internet connection? Even if it wasn't the Nexus 7 that you'd use.

Upvote 0
How are you planning on downloading these tv shows? There are many apps that provide streaming services but I don't know if any of them let you download. If you have wifi at home tho, that shouldn't be a problem.
Also https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bskyb.skygo
They're still working on jellybean compatibility so it's not available on the N7 yet, but it will.

Upvote 0
I'd be looking at a cheapish laptop with a decent battery. BBC and Sky definitely let you download shows to watch offline later, it's just a guess but I'd imagine the other channels do to (you could check this of course). There's easy software that will let you download YouTube videos and don't forget the DVD drive.
I think that's probably the best option. If you're not looking for the latest thing then I'd imagine there will be some bargains around as Windows 8 comes out. Or if money doesn't matter there seem to be some interesting hybrid tablet/laptops coming out with windows 8 but I don't know a lot about them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones