• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Typing in a contact's name in SMS...

j0e

Oct 19, 2009
I searched a bit and couldn't find anything...I'm sorry if this has already been covered.

My problem is this: I open up Messaging, then I go to "New message." I then type in the first few letters of one of my OLD contacts (from my G1) and the name comes up like a charm. HOWEVER, when I start typing in the first few letters of one of my NEW (created on my Droid) contacts, NOTHING comes up! I have to manually go to my Contacts, scroll down to the contact's name, and then text them that way. This is super annoying and I know there is most likely an easy solution.

Please help me before I throw my Droid out the window, thanks in advance :)

Make sure the number you are trying to select is inputted as "mobile" inside the contacts' settings. If it is anything but that, it wont find it.

I'm guessing this is the issue. I know with Handcent you have the option to show all number or just mobile numbers. The default when you add a number on the Droid is home, and therefore won't show up. I still can't believe the default isn't mobile, anyone know if there's a way to change it?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones