"unable to authenticate"General

Last Updated:

1. rvpartsguy

rvpartsguy Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok i updated my daughters Eris to 2.1 worked fine for a few days, now she can't make any phone calls and gets a message that VZW is "unable to authenticate" her phone, she can receive incoming calls and all other features....
    I am not expeirencing this on my Eris with 2.1...is anyone else ? or should I call VZW

Advertisement
  2. walkinonthesun

walkinonthesun Active Member

I think the "unable to authenticate" message happens when the phone is not authenticated for the phone number. This happened to me when my dad got me my eris for christmas and verizon accidentally disconnected my old phone when he purchased it. At least I got my new phone a few days early. I don't know if 2.1 could have caused that or not though.

3. Jrocker23

Jrocker23 Well-Known Member

You could try *22899 for OTA reprogram, if not just call VZW support. it happened to me once. They will confirm your account add some info into their side and have you power off and on and done. Took me 5 minutes. Not a biggy...

Make sure you mention it will not authenticate or they will go through all troubleshooting steps and then transfer you which wastes time.

4. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

I suspect that she has (or had) a notification that says much the same thing. if there is no notification then try rebooting the phone and watch for one, I think that it's wanting her gmail password. It also may fix it for her just to log in to gmail using the gmail app, I've not tried that.

5. rvpartsguy

no she logins every time the phone reboots

6. Jrocker23

Jrocker23 Well-Known Member

If she can make calls or get texts then this is not an issue with the gmail login. This is an error in verizon computer accepting info from the phone. The gmail issue would just ask her to retype her password...

7. Athntk8

Athntk8 Member

Call #8899 and customer service will bring the phone back on line. Happened to me yesterday, has been working nicely since.

8. rvpartsguy

ya they fixed it for me ...thanks.....

was just glad they didn't ask about the OS

9. smacky

smacky Banned

That was my biggest worry, especially since you were Paul Revere the night we got the leak. ;) "2.1 is coming!!! 2.1 is coming!!"

10. rvpartsguy

roflmao:d

11. 00smurf

00smurf Well-Known Member

90% of the time when getting an unable to authenticate the phone, just do a battery pull, wait 5 seconds and reboot the phone. Usually corrects the issue for all phones, simple feature or smart phones alike.

00smurf