• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unable to connect to open wifi

westbros

Android Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2010
I'm new to all this wifi stuff. I have no problems connecting my Desire to my wifi at home, which is great. But at work (or at least in the vicinity of my office) there is an open wifi point. I have now tried on several occasions to connect to it, but it always fails. It gets as far as trying to get the IP address then nothing happens until the connection fails. Then it starts trying to connect again, but it gets stuck every time on getting the IP address.

This would not concern me if it weren't for the fact that other work colleagues (one of whom also has a Desire) have managed to connect without a problem. I've moved over to where those people work, in case it was a pure location thing, but still no success.

Is there something obvious that I've missed on this? Or anything that I could try? Obviously I'd like not to have to use my data allowance while at work if at all possible.

Thanks everyone.

That is strange. I've worked in several office environments and have always been able to connect to the WIFI. It is possible that the max amount of open IP's is Maxed out, but if you are at work before others who've successfully gotten on, then it should allow you access. You've powercycled and pulled the battery out too? Perhaps you might need to powercycle the modem/router at work?

Upvote 0
Is there something obvious that I've missed on this? Or anything that I could try? Obviously I'd like not to have to use my data allowance while at work if at all possible.

Thanks everyone.

Did you ask the network admin, maybe is a firewall limitations and your terminal isn't allowed to connect, even the wi-fi network is open.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones