• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unlocked HTC Desire HD

jflong23

Lurker
Sep 19, 2011
I have a HTC DHD that was locked to the Telus network, I went through an online company to get it unlocked. They gave me the unlock code and now I am using the phone with a Rogers SIM card.

I am assuming the phone is unlocked because I can use the Rogers SIM card and the available networks I can see are Rogers, Bell and Telus.

I want to switch my network provider to either Virgin, Koodo, or Fido etc. I have been to each store to try there SIM card and my phone doesn't recognize the 3 Networks.

Is my phone really unlocked?
Is there a way to reverse the unlock?
Is there a function that I have to change on the phone before the other networks work?

Thanks,

When I try to put in a different network SIM card (Virgin, Koodo), the phone does not pick up that network. On the top right corner it shows the "No Signal" Icon.

When I go to "Wireless and Networks" and to "Mobile Networks" and to "Network Operators" and then "Search Networks" it only shows 3 available networks:

Rogers
Bell
Telus

Sometimes when you do a search you get 0 networks.

If it is unlock shouldn't it show all networks like Virgin or Koodo.

Upvote 0
Xyro does a pretty good job of explaining the benefits and detailing the risks involved here: http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-all-things-root/400056-rooting-dhd-worth.html#post3106892

Could it be that the phone just isn't capable of picking those networks up? Take a look at Koodo, it lists the frequency used as HSPA on 1900, yet from the DHD Spec page, it can only pick up HSPA on the 900 & 2100 frequencies.

I could be totally wrong. It might be worth giving HTC a call to see if it's compatible with those other networks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones