• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Unorganized app folders all over sd...

Vip3rV333

Feb 6, 2010
I'll let a mod move it to an appropriate section. Not sure where to put this thread...

In the WinMo world I could have copied the folder with the executable and data files and changed the registry to be able to organize most of my stuff on the sd card. (of course some apps didnt play nice but 90% of the stuff did)

This is one thing that really bugs me. Im looking for a way to change the location of where an app writes is directories... Ill give you a real world example...

This is how apps are writing to the sd now...

sdcard -- PicSayPro
--------- Zedge
--------- Shootme
--------- game1
--------- game2
--------- game3
--------- ex1
--------- ex2
--------- ex3

What we need, is a way to change it so apps would write into folders like this.

sdcard -- media -- PicSayPro
------------------ Zedge
------------------ Shootme
---------
--------- games -- game1
------------------ game2
------------------ game3
---------
--------- exfolder -- ex1
-------------------- ex2
-------------------- ex3

I think this can be solved with symlinks but Im not a linux guru...

Also, I forgot to mention... apparently in android if you want to hide a folder in a file manager, you put a period in front of a folder to mark it as hidden. (ex: .folder_name) But some apps seen to take this as a whole different folder than what it created, and will just make a new folder again with the original name.

I have got to be missing something here... Android/Linux is supposed to be more open... in Windows/WinMo all you had to do was mark the folder as hidden in the properties. :thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones