• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Update Available From Sprint

in the process of applying the latest firmware now.

i originally had software version: 1.22.651.1 and was not getting the option to download the new firmware.

i followed tzbf2006's "fix" and first installed software version: 1.29.651.1 from the guys over at xda using the rom update utility (ruu).

after that, i was able to get the latest software version 1.56.651.2 over the air. update took about 10 minutes to complete.

after letting the phone site for about 40 minutes, it's been awake for 28 mins(~72%). i did receive a text message and an email during that period so i have a feeling that has something to do with my awake time. i'll keep monitoring.

thanks tzbf for your "fix"!

You're welcome. I'm really liking this phone after the update! Although, the phone I have right now is a demo through work, I Plan on getting me a new HTC Hero within the coming weeks!

Upvote 0
Thats correct the stock message app does not compress pictures to send a mms text. If you was to try to send a picture via text using the stock app it will say the file is too big.

Handcent on the other hand will ask you if you want to compress the file before sending because it is too big. It will compress and amazingly can send a mms text.

I set handcent back as my default sms/mms message app due to the fact that it has pop-ups when a message is received and that it compresses large files to send via text. A+++

Great info Dhinez -- thanks much. I will try some messaging soon since I guess the stock message app is good for small messages without big pics, etc. Thanks again for the response!!!! ;):D;)

Upvote 0
Rooted users need to get the RUU image, flash back to stock, apply update and then re-root. I did this, it works fine, I also quickly restored apps using Astro.

This MR did NOT remove root access, just can't apply it to a rooted phone.

I am a complete Newb.
1. What is the RUU image and where do you get it?
2. I do not have a copy of the stock image to flash back to, can you please send it to me or post a copy.
3. Will I have to redo all of my scenes?

Upvote 0
in the process of applying the latest firmware now.

i originally had software version: 1.22.651.1 and was not getting the option to download the new firmware.

i followed tzbf2006's "fix" and first installed software version: 1.29.651.1 from the guys over at xda using the rom update utility (ruu).

after that, i was able to get the latest software version 1.56.651.2 over the air. update took about 10 minutes to complete.

after letting the phone site for about 40 minutes, it's been awake for 28 mins(~72%). i did receive a text message and an email during that period so i have a feeling that has something to do with my awake time. i'll keep monitoring.

thanks tzbf for your "fix"!
update to my awake time...after i completed the udpate, i texted a couple of test SMS messages to myself to check the stock SMS app.

i let the phone sleep over night after clearing the notifications and reading the SMS messages. when i woke up this morning the phone was at 4% awake...FANTASTIC!

Upvote 0
Just to clarify updating a rooted phone.

JUST rooting (no custom ROM installed) works fine and you don't need to change back to a stock image. However, you will loose root access to the phone. I haven't had a chance to try re-rooting again yet (need to do it on my WinXP computer at work). Sounds like you can still root the phone with the same method from what I've been reading, though. Will confirm tomorrow.

However, if you've got a custom ROM installed, you will need to change back to a stock image before running the update. But, if you're running a stock image and aren't interested in any of the fixes done by this patch, there's no need to do anything. Just wait for your custom ROM provider to give you an updated image.

Thank you. Needed to hear this. One more thing though. I am rooted with Modaco custom ROM. If I flash back to the Stock ROM, then get this update will I lose anything? Scenes, settings, etc?

Upvote 0
Well I can only speak for myself, but I am taking that into consideration when seeing 100% awake time. I can turn my phone off, fully charge it, unplug it, turn it back on and let it sit for 2 hours, and it will still say 100% awake time. I may need to do a factory reset, but before I do that I have a question. Has anyone gotten a noticeable improvement in battery life since the update? I'm making it through the workday on a charge, so if the improvement isn't noticeable, I won't bother resetting my phone.

Hey cirehawk...

I'm definitely seeing improved battery life. Before the update my battery would be dead after about 10-11 hours with normal use. After the update my phone was on for 13 hours (though it was in sleep mode for a lot of that time) and still had half of it's juice left!! That is a huge improvement for me!!

I've heard some people say that awake time creeps back up again after a day or two...so far i haven't experienced this problem. I think it probably has to do with one or more of their apps. My phone is sleeping like a baby and battery life is better than ever. I'm pumped! Hope that answers your question.

-alex

Upvote 0
It's interesting, I'm 100% awake time, but battery life seems longer than before. I didi NOT have an issue pre-update with battery and I have yet to reset the phone post update, no need to. I wonder if it is just some weird reporting of wake time. Maybe a particular app, or whatever.

Here's my question though... lol, Is it possible to reset the phone to Pre-Update condition (ROM). I do have the Image from XDA. I haven't rooted my phone, but I was just curious if this was possible at all. Might experiment with taking the update a 2nd time and seeing if it causes any difference.

Just a thought... lol

Upvote 0
ok, here's what I've been able to figure out so far.

I did a soft reset (power only) for first time since update. Only program I really used consistently was Ebuddy. So, I think this is responsible for the Status listing the phone as 100% awake time. Although it was indicating this, I actually had an improved battery life since the update, not much, but enough to notice. It is now reporting correctly(32%) without the Ebuddy program running after the reset. So, my conclusion here is that the 3rd party app is not effecting the battery draw, but its indicator. Is this possible? Like I have mentioned, I am ok, battery use was good pre-update and slightly better now post, so it's not a complaint, just more a curiosity.

Regards
:)

Ok... editing instead of adding a new post.
After just using stock apps like messaging and web browser no 3rd party apps, then leaving phone unplugged overnight. I woke this morning at 15% up time... lol, that's awesome. Hehe... so I just wanna say, "thanks" - HTC & Sprint.
:)

Upvote 0
I had battery power issues prior to the update. I wasn't sure if it was me because I would be at 50% battery power after maybe 6 hours with occasional checking of email and facebook updates (via mobile web browser). After the update, my battery level showed over 75% under same circumstances.

But I'm a newb and am still learning the phone.

Upvote 0
Love the new update. I too, think that it is responding a bit faster but then again that could be from the soft reset. The web browser seems to load pages faster (tried it with Facebook) and changing it from portrait to landscape also seem faster.

I'm going to check the picture quality now. I took a before and after and emailed it to myself.

Charging up the phone now, so we'll see if the fix is helping with the stock SMS app - since for some reason I prefer it to Handcent. I might still keep it thought and only use when sending pictures, due to the resizing it does.

Upvote 0
same here. Trying to do it over wifi as I don't use my Hero as a phone. Is it possible over wifi? I'm using a Moment and don't plan on using the Hero as a phone. Will be peeved if I have to have them temporarily activate my phone to keep it up to date.
The Firmware Update could not be completed. Please try again later. If the problem persists, you may need to contact Costumer Service. Error code:1012

nice.... :(

Upvote 0
From talking to tech support, you can't do it over wifi. It can only be done OTA via the mobile network and the phone must be on an active line. There's also no ability to download the update and manually install it according to HTC. One support rep said I could download it from HTC, but that was a lie.

Looks like I'm going to hop online, activate my Hero, update it, then reactivate my Moment. PITA. Though I'm not sure I want to do it or even recommend it to people if they can't view or download paid apps from the market. How do you screw that up in an update?

Upvote 0
My battery is at 79% at 10am...i unplugged at 6:40 am this morning. My battery life seems less since the update. anyone else having this problem? i have barely used it this morning.

UPDATE: I inplugged at 5:30 am this morning...its now 9:30 am....i:m at 93%...i deleted my gmail and ceared out the memory on gmail, then rebooted the phone...its sleeping more now and battery seems alot better. gmail seemed to be dragging it down.

Upvote 0
So my update went great and I have been using it for a few days now. The lag is still there, however not as bad as it was before but still enough to be annoying.

The issue I have is I was using HTC Mail for my Gmail using IMAP...and well I can not seem to get it working again. I am going to try and delete the account and re add it to see if that works. My work exchange email works still however I really need to get my personal email back.

Upvote 0
Syphon,

I had started another thread about this very thing: http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc...e-awake-problems-possible-htcmail-client.html

The HTC Mail appears to be flawed. I noticed it affecting my phone with a Hotmail account added, so I did a reset without adding the account, and voila! No problems anymore. I was hoping we could get more people to document it in the thread, so we could have a researched complaint to Sprint/HTC, but only a couple of people have posted in reply.

Incidentally, I haven't had a problem with the stock gmail app; why were you using the HTC Mail app for your gmail? So all mail was in one place?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones