• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Updating To Gingerbread 2.3.6

XJ9

Lurker
Aug 8, 2012
New York
Hello. I have a problem. I have two Samsung Galaxy SII phones. One has Chinese on it and one doesn't. This is my and my father's first smartphones so I don't even know the jargon that comes with the field...

Anyway, My father's phone (The Chinese one) can't update by going to 'Software Update' and pressing 'Next'. It goes into this screen that I have to navigate with the volume and power buttons. I have no idea how to update my father's phone from Gingerbread 2.3.5 to 2.3.6 and it's interfering with his work; a notice to update pops up and automatically hangs up any calls he has.

I don't even know how it's possible for him to have Chinese on his phone. It's an option my phone doesn't have in the 'language and keyboard' section. I think his phone has probably been rooted. We didn't exactly go to a legit T-Mobile store to get these phones...

Any help would be amazing. Thank you in advance.

[EDIT] I just discovered that this phone doesn't even have the Google Play Store

Model Number: SGH-T989
Android Version: 2.3.5
Baseband Version: T989UVKID
Build Number: GINGERBREAD.UVKID

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones