• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgrade early?

I've got the original Motorola Droid, and really want to get something better (like the Thunderbolt)..

I upgraded to this phone on 08/04/2010.. and signed a "2-year contract".
Online it says I can upgrade "For full price", and that I "am eligible for an upgrade on 04/04/2012". I don't want to wait until then, and I certainly don't want to pay full price for a phone!

Anyone have anyways of getting around this / getting Verizon to let you upgrade early??

I've got the original Motorola Droid, and really want to get something better (like the Thunderbolt)..

I upgraded to this phone on 08/04/2010.. and signed a "2-year contract".
Online it says I can upgrade "For full price", and that I "am eligible for an upgrade on 04/04/2012". I don't want to wait until then, and I certainly don't want to pay full price for a phone!

Anyone have anyways of getting around this / getting Verizon to let you upgrade early??

One way is to add a second line on a share plan for $10.00 and swap that upgrade for your line. You can do a one or two year contract.

Selling your droid now will only get $100.00 or so based on what is selling on ebay, but you could also do that then cover the difference (which would still be alot).

These are the only ways I can think of though others may have better suggestions.

Upvote 0
One way is to add a second line on a share plan for $10.00 and swap that upgrade for your line. You can do a one or two year contract.

I thought of that, but it's not just $10 more a month..
I've got the "Nationwide Talk & Text" with 450 minutes for $59.99 per month, and then with the data plan $29.99.. it comes out to around $90 per month.

To add another line, I'd have to upgrade to the "Nationwide Family Share Plan" with 700 minutes.. for $99.99 per month. Then $30 for data, it comes out to just under $130 a month.. $40 more a month..

(If I got the regular "Nationwide Family Share" plan and then added texting on to the main line (5000 for $20), the total comes out to just under $120 per month)

I can't really afford that.. good idea though!

Upvote 0
I thought of that, but it's not just $10 more a month..
I've got the "Nationwide Talk & Text" with 450 minutes for $59.99 per month, and then with the data plan $29.99.. it comes out to around $90 per month.

To add another line, I'd have to upgrade to the "Nationwide Family Share Plan" with 700 minutes.. for $99.99 per month. Then $30 for data, it comes out to just under $130 a month.. $40 more a month..

(If I got the regular "Nationwide Family Share" plan and then added texting on to the main line (5000 for $20), the total comes out to just under $120 per month)

I can't really afford that.. good idea though!

Oops.:eek: Sorry I thought they still had a 450 minutes family share plan. I have been on the 700 share plan for a long time and thought I remembered a plan with only 450 minutes. I can't think of anything else at this time. :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones