• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Upgrading from rooted 2.3.6 Gingerbread

backpack

Lurker
Jul 3, 2012
Hello everyone :) I have been using a rooted T-989 and I have been dodging the notices to upgrade my software because I was worried about conflicts... but now my free tethering doesnt work so here I am.

I am currently using:
Gingerbread UKVL1
Android 2.3.6
Kernel 2.6.35.11

I dont have any other info about the specific ROM I am using... hopefully the info I provided is sufficient.

Do I have to unroot back to stock Gingerbread before I can update? Or can I upgrade directly to the more recent rooted ICS rom using the steps found here:
How to Root ICS/GB on T-Mobile Galaxy S2 SGH-T989! | Galaxy S2 Root

If you guys know of a better/safer way of doing it, please advise. I am assuming I should upgrade to ICS, but I have no problem staying on Gingerbread... I dont really need anything fancy out of my phone. I just want to get rid of tbe software update notice and be able to tether for free again.

Thank you for your advice!

Looks like you can upgrade to ICS right from the OTA If you received the notification. This will unroot you and give you stock recovery so all you need to do is get yourself the clockwork mod recovery and superuser and flash them. Recovery with Odin ofcourse and superuser with cwm recovery!

Make sure you backup your apps with titanium backup as you may need to factory reset because ICS has problems accepting things from gingerbread! So back it up and nandroid back it up just in case!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones