• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help USB 3.0 Option Grayed Out

Hazerade

Sep 22, 2013
Alright, I have a Verizon Black N3. I got it day one and have had no issues. Love the phone. I used to be able to plug it into my desktop windows pc 3.0 slots and it works transfer and work just fine.

I moved to a new house and after trying to use the USB 3.0 slots the computer constantly tells me that the device can preform faster and the option to choose 3.0 is grayed out on the phone. I've tried multiple cables and multiple slots. I've tried two different computers including a Mac. I've reinstalled drivers and kies several times with no luck. Does anyone have anything I could try to get this working. Thanks

Bring it into a Verizon company store. Ask the repair department to try to connect with their cable to a 3.0 port on their computer. If they can't, it's the phone (and should still be in warranty, so ...) If they can, ask them to try with your original Samsung 3.0 cable. It could have gone bad. (Cheap "just like Samsung" cables have been known to be not quite like Samsung, so replace it with a real one.)

If not ... it could be the USB hardware in your computer, but that's a long shot.

Upvote 0
I had the same issue with the 3.0 grayed out. Turned out to be the 3.0 Extensible Host Controller Driver was missing from my laptop. All of my usb ports are supposed to be 3.0 but none of them were. Once I downloaded and reinstalled the driver everything worked as it should. Odd but I never noticed until you pointed it out. Thanks for that.

Reactions: dontpanicbobby
Upvote 0
Further follow up. After receiving a new phone, I have tried the same cables and computers. (1 Windows PC & 2 separate Macs) The option is still grayed out. After research and tests I've come to this conclusion.

Apple's USB 3.0 ports are 1 of 2 things.

Either not compatible with the USB 3.0 option on the phone (it clearly states for windows on the phone) or The ports themselves do not output enough power to supply the USB 3.0 enough juice to make the phone happy enough to work correctly.

My windows PC conclusion is that the card is either not getting enough power or some type of malfunction with the connection of the USB 3.0 card to the PC itself. Good Luck

Upvote 0
Further follow up. After receiving a new phone, I have tried the same cables and computers. (1 Windows PC & 2 separate Macs) The option is still grayed out. After research and tests I've come to this conclusion.

Apple's USB 3.0 ports are 1 of 2 things.

Either not compatible with the USB 3.0 option on the phone (it clearly states for windows on the phone) or The ports themselves do not output enough power to supply the USB 3.0 enough juice to make the phone happy enough to work correctly.

My windows PC conclusion is that the card is either not getting enough power or some type of malfunction with the connection of the USB 3.0 card to the PC itself. Good Luck

Your first post stated you tried this on a Mac as well. I also have a Mac. When I plug my phone into my laptop I don't have to *select* USB.

But I did some checking cause you also said you tried Windows too.

Read this thread ( Galaxy Note 3 not working in USB 3.0 Ports)

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...-galaxy-note-3-not-working-usb-3-0-ports.html

Upvote 0
I have been troubleshooting this issue for weeks now and I finally found out why it wasn't connecting via USB 3.0.

When you connect the phone to your computer you will see an icon that looks like a USB icon with the text "Connected as media device" in the drop-down notification panel. Click it. Notice the third item "Media device (USB 3.0)", check that instead of "Media device (MTP)". Tada, USB 3.0 mode is now enabled.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones