Using Gmail while on a phone call?Support

Last Updated:

1. badbeat

badbeat Member This Topic's Starter

Sorry if this has been posted, I searched and didn't find anything on it.

This morning, I was on the phone when I realized I needed to refer to a gmail thread. So I put caller on speakerphone, hit the home button, went to gmail. I wasn't able to pull up an email thread from several days back that was in my inbox. I was getting a "no signal" "Retry" button.

I tested it again when I was on another call a bit later, and tried to pull up the same email, couldn't do it. Same error message. But oddly enough was able to pull up an email from just yesterday.

What I don't know is, is gmail having trouble because of how old the email is? Freak occurence?

Full disclaimer: Haven't tried this other than this morning as I described...

Anyone?

Advertisement
  2. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

My guess: When you get an email, the app just downloads the header (from, subject, time, etc) not the entire message. Once you actually open it, the message is downloaded.

So if you hadn't opened the email on your phone, it wouldn't have been accessible while on call unless WiFi was connected.

3. dylo22

dylo22 Well-Known Member

You can't be on call and use data at the same time. It's a disadvantage of using cdma network.

edit: sorry typo

4. ximfinity

ximfinity Well-Known Member

FTFY

You cache a certain amount of information on the phone including emails. This information is accessible when you are on a phone call. Also if you are on Wifi you can use data.

5. dylo22

dylo22 Well-Known Member

well, in his case it didn't cache

6. elrabin

elrabin Well-Known Member

The default caching is 4 days of synced mail.

I pushed mine up to 30 days to avoid this exact scenario.

I've got 8gb internal, might as well put it to use.