• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Using Google Voice or Skype over WiFi in England

Hi guys. I'm going to be studying abroad in England starting this fall. I have Sprint service and I know I won't have service/data while abroad. I plan on taking my phone to use for checking email over WiFi (which I'll have in my apartment.)

Can I use Google Voice or Skype over the WiFi connection while there? I was thinking about buying a Skype number for 60 bucks (a local American number). I'll leave my phone permanently connected to WiFi at my apartment, so if someone calls my Skype number (I have the Skype app installed) I can answer the call on my phone through the app.

This is all through WiFi, as I'll have absolutely no Sprint service there.

Will this work?

Actually google voice does work if you use the GrooveIP app. I was in London on vacation this spring and made several calls back to the US on my Htc evo from Starbuck's. I also made calls to landlines in the UK while I was there as well as from the US before we left for two cents per minute!
Be sure to set this up before you go.
I called both mobiles and land lines in the US from London all for free.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones